Wemo Outdoor Wi-Fi Smart Plug review: great for your annual holiday lights and outdoor liv...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2021
Wemo has been a long-standing HomeKit supporter, and it has continued to grow that support with its new outdoor outlets, and we've put it to the test, just in time for the holidays.

The new Wemo smart outdoor outlet
The new Wemo smart outdoor outlet

The new Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Outdoor Plug is a weather-resistant option to control any outdoor accessories you may need to provide power to. The most obvious use of this is holiday lights, be it Christmas, Chanukah, or any other winter holiday you want to light up the exterior of your house for.

Throughout the rest of the year, there are, of course, many other applications. We have filament bulbs strung above our deck in the back yard. Spotlights on lawn decorations or house fixtures are also common. Path lights or other accent lighting is fairly probably as well for an outlet like this.

Controlling our outdoor lights with the Wemo smart plug
Controlling our outdoor lights with the Wemo smart plug

This is good because while the Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Outdoor Plug is arguably more useful during the holidays, you can use it year-round with some outside the box thinking.

The device itself is comprised of black plastic with a short cable protruding from one end. It can be plugged into an outlet and hang down for two devices to be plugged in. Each of the two female plugs on the Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Outdoor Plug has a rubberized cover that can fold down to seal the plugs from weather or debris ingress.

Easy to access illuminated power button
Easy to access illuminated power button for physical control

Square in the center of the device, below the Wemo wordmark, is a single power button. It lights up in the center, so it is easy to see in the dark, making sense because it is typically when the sun is down that you may try to physically turn on the power.

Atop the device, just behind where the cable meets the body, is a mounting hole. This would allow you to plug the cable into the wall outlet then hang the Wemo plug from a screw right next to it. By hanging it down this way, you prevent water or debris from getting inside the two plugs. Regardless, this still comes rated as IP44 weather resistance. That means solid objects larger than one millimeter and liquid splashes from any angle are prevented from entry.

Smart home control

The Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Outdoor Plug works with Apple's HomeKit platform, as well as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant -- but we are less interested in those.

It is easy to configure with HomeKit, which can all be done through the Home app with no need for the Wemo app to operate or use the device. This is one of the significant benefits of HomeKit.

New outdoor smart plugs
New outdoor smart plugs

Wemo's HomeKit pairing code is attached on the back, making it easy to access. If you do mount it, it is easy to lift and recheck the code if you need it. Alternatively, we always recommend keeping a copy of your HomeKit pairing code in the HomePass app.

Once set up, you can toggle the outlet on and off from the Home app and Siri. This works, just as with all HomeKit devices, via any Siri-enabled Apple device. Be it your Apple TV, your HomePod mini, your Apple Watch, your Mac, or your iPad.

If you have a Home Hub -- Apple TV, HomePod, HomePod mini, or always-on iPad -- you can schedule these outlets too. You can schedule them to turn on at specific times of day, based around sunrise and sunset, triggered off of a HomeKit motion sensor, or when you come and go.

Caps on the Wemo outdoot smart plug
Caps on the Wemo outdoot smart plug

In our case, we connected our Christmas lights on our porch to the Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Outdoor Plug. We scheduled them to turn on 30 minutes prior to sundown and then turn off just around 1 AM -- no point in leaving them on the whole night.

We also tied these outlets to our other HomeKit outdoor lights. We change our outdoor Hue Lily Spotlights to paint our white brick home in red and green light around this time of the year. They all come on and off together and can be controlled jointly via Siri. If we want them on a bit later one day, we can say "turn on the outside lights," and Siri will do just that.

Should you buy the Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Outdoor Plug?

We're very fond of the Wemo Wi-Fi Smart Outdoor Plug for what it does. Wemo devices have historically been very reliable, and the outdoor outlets have so far been reliable as well. It is also just in time for the holidays, and our front yard is cheerfully lit and automated.

We rely on Wemo's new HomeKit otudoor outlets
We rely on Wemo's new HomeKit otudoor outlets

It has a compact size, dual outlets, an easy-to-find physical button, and of course -- HomeKit support. HomeKit makes it effortless to control our lights, automate them, and tie them into all of our existing outdoor lights from our patio lights for entertaining or our holiday lights in the front yard. All come together thanks to Wemo's latest product.

The only minor change we'd like to see is independent outlet control, but barring that, Wemo is spot-on.

Pros
  • Smaller design than others

• Illuminated power button

• Dual outlets

• Full support for HomeKit

• Wi-Fi connectivity

• Weather resistant

• Mounting bracket
Cons
  • No independent outlet control

Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Where to buy

The Wemo WiFi Smart Outdoor Plug is available on Amazon for $39.99

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    There is no really good reason that the outlets can't be controlled independently.
    Other outlets manage this just fine. They're just not suitable for outdoor use. I'll pick one up in the Spring anyway to replace an iHome Outdoor outlet to run my pool filter. I have several Wemo outlets already and I can then get rid of the iHome app. Maybe by that time they'll update the firmware. I have some outdoor lights that I would tie into this... or I'll just buy a second one.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I just got the meross outdoor smart plug for less and it has individual outlet control and is working great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    BatmanPPC said:
    I just got the meross outdoor smart plug for less and it has individual outlet control and is working great.
    I have the iDevices outdoor switch.  It also does not have individual outlet control but it's fine for my use.  It's for our holiday lights and what gets plugged into it switch on at the same time anyway.  I've had it 4 years and have had no issues with it.

How is the Meross quality, build, and user experience for you?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I’m using a standard indoor Wi-Fi plug for Xmas lights.  It’s plugged into a proper outdoor outlet and is on a porch.  In the past I’ve taken the same outlets (Kasa), plugged them into the main extension cord, then bagged them and taped them for waterproofing. It’s low-rent rigging, but I’ve had zero issues.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    I’ve had the iDevices (3 years) and bought the Meross 3 months ago. 
    The iDevices refused to stay on the network. For a while I could run it through the iDevices app but not HomeKit, but eventually even that failed. 
    So far the Meross has been rock solid reliable, but it’s only been 90 days. 

My usage is almost year round - the outdoor outlet controls Halloween & Christmas lights from Sept - Jan and lights on the back deck from April - September. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    While you don’t need to have the WeMo app (or iDevice, Eve, Rachio, Koogeek, etc. apps) to operate your HomeKit devices, you do need these apps to update the devices’ firmware (to fix issues), so you end up installing (and in some cases signing up for an account) anyway. 

Too bad HomeKit doesn’t push the device’s firmware for the manufacturer (like the HomePod works), completely preventing the need for the standalone app, as I wonder what data those apps disclose to the manufacturers.

One thing I wish these reviews would cover is the quality and resiliency of the Wi-Fi radio and IP stack baked into these devices. Some really struggle with auto-reconnecting after a Wu-Fi outage, without being powered off/on (which means a visit to the electrical panel for in-wall light switches and outlets). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    I have a couple of Meross indoor outlets that work very well and let you control the outlets separately.
    The reason I would prefer the Wemo outdoor pieceis that it is rated at 15A, 1800 Watts. Which would allow me to use pool filter and some secondary outdoor lighting which would have a different schedule.
    watto_cobra