Old-school AI

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

A trip to the Wayback Machine reminded me that I've been here since Sept 17, 1999. Yikes.

Hey, Amorph, how exactly did you search the Wayback Machine (aka Internet Archive) to figure out when you registered for the AI boards? I'd love to check how far off base my memory is and how much of an old-school impostor I am.

While we're pointing out the Wayback Machine, I'd like to remind people that King Chung Huang set up a special page with archived AI threads from pre-blackout Cube times pulled from the Wayback Machine. Unfortunately, the Wayback Machine didn't cache my two favorite threads of all times, namely the two "2400 dreams" threads.

Escher
  • Reply 62 of 78
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Talking about olden times, maybe you could start with an Amish Paradise from the album Bad Hair Day.

Well I found Amish Paradise (Yankovic's video in fact which I recommend watching) and that led me to download Coolio's song Ganster's Paradise which Yankovic was taking off. But during the excursion I found out that Coolio's song is actually based upon an earlier song by Stevie Wonder (which I have now listened to and think is superior to both the Yankovic and Coolio versions) called "Pastime Paradise." I only bring this up because the lyrics in the Stevie Wonder song are also relevant to this thread:

Quote:

They've been spending most their lives

Living in a pastime paradise

They've been spending most their lives

Living in a pastime paradise

They've been wasting most their time

Glorifying days long gone behind

They've been wasting most their days

In remembrance of ignorance oldest praise

Tell me who of them will come to be

How many of them are you and me

Thanks Escher for sparking this musical journey

I may just have to go out and purchase some Stevie Wonder now...
  • Reply 63 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Thanks Escher for sparking this musical journey

I may just have to go out and purchase some Stevie Wonder now...

Wow! You're quite a historical explorer, Retrograde. Stevie Wonder is still missing from my collection--a gaping hole. On the other hand, I don't mind Coolio missing from my library. What P2P services did you use to reach the waypoints on your musical journey? I'd love to follow in your footsteps.

Escher
  • Reply 64 of 78
    retrograderetrograde Posts: 503member
    Quote:

What P2P services did you use to reach the waypoints on your musical journey? I'd love to follow in your footsteps.

Well I used to use Sputnix which I liked a lot before the days when AudioGalaxy was outed but now I use an increasingly nice application called Acquisition. The nice thing about Acquisition is that it seems to be able to search for more than just music which is why when I entered "Amish Paradise" into the search field it also gave me a hit for the video.

It was interesting finding these three songs (who knows there may even be more versions?!) but what is nice is that neither Coolio nor Weird Al are doing straight "covers" of Stevie Wonder. They have different names and different lyrics which makes the songs more interesting in my mind. ... I still prefer the Stevie Wonder though
  • Reply 65 of 78
    I registered waaaaaaay back in July 1999.

I remember the PeterB MK V, PeterB MKVI, etc ban-athon..... battling it out with groverat after the Cube debacle. (and as a result between July 2000 and October 2000 my post count jumped from 1,000 to over 2,000).

Things were so exciting back then.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    Quote:

A trip to the Wayback Machine reminded me that I've been here since Sept 17, 1999. Yikes.

Quote:

Hey, Amorph, how exactly did you search the Wayback Machine (aka Internet Archive) to figure out when you registered for the AI boards? I'd love to check how far off base my memory is and how much of an old-school impostor I am.

Amorph: I would still love to hear about the search technique you used! How exactly did you use the Wayback Machine to determine when you registered?

Thanks in advance for your answer, Amorph.

Escher
  • Reply 67 of 78
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been trying to figure out exactly how I did it, myself!

Somehow, based on the results for searching for "forums.appleinsider.com" I found that it had followed all the email, profile, etc. links and cached those, and after getting every single one as a search result I was able to plow through some hundred-odd pages looking for the profile for Amorph.

I'm sure there's a better way to do it, but I haven't had time to look into it yet.
  • Reply 68 of 78
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    well if anyone else is doing it for themselves, let me know when mine was if you come across it.

• Reply 69 of 78
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Quote:

jhtrih, right?

Quote:

Ooh, I remember jhtrih. Didn't he have a signature that said something like "There is only one jhtrih"?

Yup that was me. I had forgoten about that sig, wonder what made me do it... Ah, the memories...
  • Reply 70 of 78
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    OOOOOOK...

Go to the Wayback Machine.

Type this into the search field:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ubbmisc.cgi?action=getbio&UserName=Amorph

replacing my handle with yours.

You'll get a page of links to dates when the Wayback Machine archived that profile link. Pick one.

This is not guaranteed to work, unfortunately, because AI was down so often when the Wayback Machine was doing its thing. So some user names (like "Escher") will direct you to a "AI is hosed. Come back later" page instead of a profile. Ah, memories. :/

So, um, good luck. I'll keep checking to see if there's a more reliable way to accomplish this.
  • Reply 71 of 78
    June 1999! The good old days.

Hey I'm still around, though I mainly lurk these days.
  • Reply 72 of 78
    Quote:

Type this into the search field:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-b...serName=Amorph

replacing my handle with yours.

Thanks a million, Amorph! Following the directions above confirmed my worst fear: I'm actually a phony newbie, not an old-school AI veteran. I didn't register until March 28, 2000! [blush] \ I'm ashamed it took me a full year and a half to realize that web boards were cooler than Usenet discussion groups. I just thought that centralized Usenet discussion made more sense than fragmented discussion on web boards all over the place.

Escher
  • Reply 73 of 78
    matveimatvei Posts: 193member
    I found myself!!!

I lurked a whole lot during the 1998-1999 period... even still.

• Reply 74 of 78
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    I've been here since '99, I think I've had a few different names, though. Mostly permutations on my name. And for a while I used 'iNnoyed' because it seemed punny at the time. But mostly brad l. bower. I remember when they first reported on the Cinema display, it sounded so crazy.
  • Reply 75 of 78
    From May 23, 2001:

Quote:

Date Registered: 29 November 1999

Total Posts: 970

Amazing!
  • Reply 76 of 78
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Either I'm doing something wrong, or I'm not in there.
  • Reply 77 of 78
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

I'm ashamed it took me a full year and a half to realize that web boards were cooler than Usenet discussion groups. I just thought that centralized Usenet discussion made more sense than fragmented discussion on web boards all over the place.

Escher

Still, do you know of any mac-discussion groups on Usenet left in 2003 that are worthwhile?
  • Reply 78 of 78
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Still, do you know of any mac-discussion groups on Usenet left in 2003 that are worthwhile?

Sorry, der Kopf, I haven't read any Usenet groups in years now, so I can't recommend any. Web-boards have taken over completely. These days, AI and the MacNN Forums cover all my Mac-related needs.

Escher