iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3 now available with ProRAW, Apple Fitness+, AirPods Max support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Apple has released iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3 to the public with ProRAW, Shortcuts updates, and compatibility for AirPods Max and Apple Fitness+.

Apple released iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3
Apple released iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3

The update comes after Apple announced the AirPods Max, which release on December 15, and the launch date of Apple Fitness+, which is December 14. The updates can be installed from the Settings app automatically or by navigating to General, then Software Update.

With iOS 14.3 Apple introduces ProRAW, a new image format exclusive to the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max. With ProRAW enabled, users will be able to access all of the information provided by the image signal processor, combining the benefits of both DSLR-style RAW photography with computational photography.

Third-party apps like Halide and Darkroom will be able to take advantage of the ProRAW format as well.

The update adds compatibly with its latest hardware release, the AirPods Max. The premium over-the-ear headphones include multiple technologies that iOS can take advantage of including Adaptive EQ and spatial audio.

Apple Fitness+ also launches to customers with this update, making working out at home an integrated Apple experience. Launch the app on your iPhone or iPad to begin a workout, and view your health metrics provided by the Apple Watch right on the screen as you work out to a video stream hosted by one of Apple's team of instructors

Other changes found in the updates include an "AirTags" setup process, which indicates the often-rumored product could launch in the not too distant future. Apple may have intended to launch "AirTags" alongside the AirPods Max, but the timing for such a product is still not ideal given the global pandemic and associated societal restrictions.

Apple's release notes include all changes made with the iOS 14.3 and iPadOS 14.3 updates:

iOS 14.3 includes support for Apple Fitness+ and AirPods Max. This release also adds the ability to capture photos in Apple ProRAW on iPhone 12 Pro, introduces privacy information on the App Store, and includes other features and bug fixes for your iPhone.

Apple Fitness+

• A new fitness experience powered by Apple Watch with studio-style workouts available on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV (Apple Watch Series 3 and later)
  • New Fitness app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV to browse Fitness+ workouts, trainers, and personalized recommendations
  • Video workouts added each week in ten popular workout types: High Intensity Interval Training, Indoor Cycling, Yoga, Core, Strength, Dance, Rowing, Treadmill Walking, Treadmill Running, and Mindful Cooldown
  • Playlists curated by Fitness+ trainers to complement your workout
  • Fitness+ subscription available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States

AirPods Max

• Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
  • High fidelity audio for rich sound
  • Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions
  • Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise
  • Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
  • Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience

Photos

• Apple ProRAW photos can be captured on iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
  • Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app
  • Option to record video at 25 fps
  • Mirror the front facing camera for still photos on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X

Privacy

• New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app's privacy practices

TV app

• An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
  • Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre, and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
  • Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports

App Clips

• Support for launching App Clips by scanning Apple-designed App Clip Codes via Camera or from Control Center

Health

• Ability to indicate pregnancy, lactation, or contraceptive use in Cycle Tracking in the Health app in order to better manage period and fertile window predictions

Air Quality

• Available in Maps and Siri for locations in China mainland
  • Health recommendations are provided for Siri in the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels

Safari

• Ecosia search engine option in Safari

This release also addresses the following issues:

• Some MMS messages may not be received
  • Contact groups failed to display members when composing a message
  • Some videos would not appear correctly when shared from the Photos app
  • App folders may fail to open
  • Spotlight search results, and opening apps from Spotlight may not work
  • Bluetooth could be unavailable in Settings
  • MagSafe Duo Charger could wirelessly charge your iPhone at less than the maximum power
  • Wireless accessories and peripherals using the WAC protocol could fail to complete setup
  • The keyboard would dismiss when adding a list in Reminders while using VoiceOver
The original iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 update made changes refreshing the Home screen and app interface at launch, tweaked Messages and Safari, overhauled Siri, added elements to Apple Maps, introduced Sound Recognition alerts, and offered CarKey support, among other changes. The iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 updates added eight new wallpaper options, new emoji, and improved iconography across the operating system, as well as other small er changes.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member

It would be kind of useful, if you could get into the habit of listing build number along with version numbers.

This is important, because sometimes Apple sneaks in a minor revision, only noticeable by looking at build numbers, and developers and others with access to prerelease builds often get release candidates no longer marked as beta software. It’s then key to know if one has actually the released version installed, and not just something “relatively close to it”

So, please!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Looks like there is a watchOS 7.2 as well....downloading.....
  • Reply 3 of 18
    vahancouvervahancouver Posts: 14unconfirmed, member
    Fitness app is missing from my iPad Pro. Just installed 14.3. Anyone else not seeing it on their iPad? 
    peterhart
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Anyone else missing the Fitness app on iPad in 14.3? I can’t even download it from the App Store - I just get “This app requires features unavailable on this device”.
    peterhart
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Just updated iPadOS to 14.3 on my iPad Pro 2017. No sign of Apple Fitness. Is it not available for this model?
    peterhart
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Just updated iPadOS to 14.3 on my iPad Pro 2017. No sign of Apple Fitness. Is it not available for this model?
    It looks like we are waiting on Apple to release the updated Fitness app now that is compatible with iPad.

Here is a link to the US Store version.  It will be available to download whenever the update gets pushed out by Apple.

Fitness App in the App Store 

For folks in other countries, there will be a link to the App Store via Apple's website.  Go to Fitness+ -> Try Free -> Find the App Store link on this page.
    weyland_jonAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 18
    I see that the "Activity" app has changed to "Fitness" on my phone, but I do concur that nothing on my iPad Air.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    I don't see an Activity app nor a Fitness app on my iPhone 11 Pro.  Pretty weird experience so far in that it's so hard to try out one of the big marquee features after updating.

• Reply 9 of 18
    exsangus said:
    It looks like we are waiting on Apple to release the updated Fitness app now that is compatible with iPad.

Here is a link to the US Store version.  It will be available to download whenever the update gets pushed out by Apple.

For folks in other countries, there will be a link to the App Store via Apple's website.  Go to Fitness+ -> Try Free -> Find the App Store link on this page.
    Thanks for that link. Unbelievable. Accidental discovery is one thing, but this is just negligence on Apple’s part.
    exsangusAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 18
    simbalion said:
    I don't see an Activity app nor a Fitness app on my iPhone 11 Pro.  Pretty weird experience so far in that it's so hard to try out one of the big marquee features after updating.

Yeah I had to search, but it’s in the Activity App itself where you find your Rings for the Watch. The lower center is renamed Fitness now. If you deleted the Activity App bc you don’t use it or don’t have an Apple Watch, you should be able to redownload it I’d think...
  • Reply 11 of 18

heli0s said:
    Anyone else missing the Fitness app on iPad in 14.3? I can’t even download it from the App Store - I just get “This app requires features unavailable on this device”.
    Same. :neutral: 
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 12 of 18
    It's here on my iPhone and Apple TV.
    But nowhere to be seen on my iPad Pro 12.9" 2020 and iPad mini 5 (2019).
  • Reply 13 of 18
    exsangus said:

Thanks for that link. Unbelievable. Accidental discovery is one thing, but this is just negligence on Apple’s part.
    I am starting to think that it isn't so much that we are waiting for the app to push to the store, but for them to fix the bug that is preventing anyone from downloading it on iPad.  Seems like something they should have had working over a month ago...  But you know how it is with these small startups like Apple, they don't have the funds to make sure the basics are working at launch time... (may have been a small amount of sarcasm in there)
    Alex1NSpamSandwich
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I am starting to think that it isn't so much that we are waiting for the app to push to the store, but for them to fix the bug that is preventing anyone from downloading it on iPad.  Seems like something they should have had working over a month ago...  But you know how it is with these small startups like Apple, they don't have the funds to make sure the basics are working at launch time... (may have been a small amount of sarcasm in there)
    Given this is a paid service, it's the worst service launch since Apple Maps. At least that one was free. Is Forstall back?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    ProRaw? A bit late Apple. DNG files have been available with Lightroom Mobile for a while. Please stop trying to make old into new. 
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quick update, the iPad app seems to be available for download now.  You still seem to have to find it through the direct link, though.

Here is the link again:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fitness/id1208224953?l=en-us    Fitness App in the App Store 
  • Reply 17 of 18
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    exsangus said:
    Quick update, the iPad app seems to be available for download now.  You still seem to have to find it through the direct link, though.

Here is the link again:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fitness/id1208224953?l=en-us    Fitness App in the App Store 
    Thanks - I discovered the bug the prevents mail from using groups last week - very frustrating. Going to update now and see if it fixes things.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    0ID00ID0 Posts: 26member
    Good thing this App Privacy overview !!!

Just find out about an European "privacy oriented" cloud storage provider claiming that he's very different to US providers, but is tracking own subscribers all over the internet!
    edited December 2020