Google suffered hour-long wide outage in nearly every service, cause unknown

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
On Monday morning, a large percentage of Google service users worldwide were unable to use services while logged in, spanning YouTube, Gmail, Google Docs, Google Classroom, and more.

Google's Gmail abruptly went down some time around 6:30 AM Eastern Time, and presented users only with error messages. It was followed by similar outages on Google's major services, including Google Docs, and YouTube.

At around 7:30 AM Eastern Time, it updated its status pages to say the issue was being fixed for each service.

"Gmail service has already been restored for some users," said Google in the Gmail status page. "We expect a resolution for all users in the near future."

Similar messages were provided for other services through 8:20 A.M. Eastern time.

Gmail users using email apps can't get into their accounts
Gmail users using email apps can't get into their accounts

The flaws were related to authentication, making the problem expand past Google's services itself. Impacted users could not log into any third-party service through Google's authentication services -- including Google home automation.

Sitting in dark like an idiot since #google is down and my Google home is in control of my lights. Now gotta download and use the actual app from wipro to launch my lights. pic.twitter.com/jhWNp7dkga

-- Auro (@weekendbiker)

Authentication has been restored to some users, but not all. It isn't clear what time full restoration will be completed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    YouTube now as well...

watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    YouTube now as well...

Well, they've got a chimp with a hammer working on it, so I imagine things will be back to normal in pretty short order.
    equality72521anantksundaramrandominternetpersondewmerazorpitBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Niantic games (Ingress, Pokémon Go, etc) also failing sign in.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    It looks like a chimp, but it's got a tail.

I have no idea what that's supposed to be. Still, it's got a hammer so …
    lkruppdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    YouTube seems to be back., one Gmail account as well. My enterprise accounts still unavailable. 

EDIT: Enterprise now clearing up too. 
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 6 of 18
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    All services that needed a sign in were down,  now it seems they are all up again.  This should not happen,  definitely not for paying Workspace (the old G-suite) customers
    sdw2001longpath
  • Reply 7 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    cropr said:
    All services that needed a sign in were down,  now it seems they are all up again.  This should not happen,  definitely not for paying Workspace (the old G-suite) customers
    There will be an SLA for paying customers, and if services are unavailable for long enough customers will be entitled to compensation.
    dewme
  • Reply 8 of 18
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    crowley said:
    cropr said:
    There will be an SLA for paying customers, and if services are unavailable for long enough customers will be entitled to compensation.
    The "compensation" is a service credit of up to 50% of the monthly bill amount.  But the 50% requires the services to be down more than one day.  More likely the "compensation" would be along the lines of 10% of the monthly bill, which requires the services to be down at least 4 hours in a month. 

The customer also has to request the credit (it isn't automatically provided), it can only be used against future fees, and excludes outages due to "factors outside of Google’s reasonable control" (among other exclusions).

The short version:  You will not get a credit, and even if you do, it is essentially worthless as it pales in comparison the the amount of money lost by a business as a result of these kinds of events. 
    edited December 2020 longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    cropr said:
    Welcome the real world where this kind of stuff happens no matter what.
    razorpitNotoriousDEVCarnagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 18
    If it doesn't have a tail it's not a monkey
    Even if it has a monkey kinda shape
    If it doesn't have doesn't have a tail it's not a monkey
    Well maybe we could catch it on the tape
    If it doesn't have a tail it's not a monkey if it doesn't have a tail it's not a monkey it's an ape

Rayz2016 said:
    YouTube now as well...

Well, they've got a chimp with a hammer working on it, so I imagine things will be back to normal in pretty short order.

• Reply 11 of 18
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    70,000,000 DDoS attacks. Even Cloudflare found it difficult to handle.
    longpathdewmeNotoriousDEV
  • Reply 12 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    flydog said:
    crowley said:
    cropr said:
    The "compensation" is a service credit of up to 50% of the monthly bill amount.  But the 50% requires the services to be down more than one day.  More likely the "compensation" would be along the lines of 10% of the monthly bill, which requires the services to be down at least 4 hours in a month. 

The customer also has to request the credit (it isn't automatically provided), it can only be used against future fees, and excludes outages due to "factors outside of Google’s reasonable control" (among other exclusions).

The short version:  You will not get a credit, and even if you do, it is essentially worthless as it pales in comparison the the amount of money lost by a business as a result of these kinds of events. 
    Then businesses should probably rethink whether depending on cloud services with so little guarantee of operation is really in the interest of the business.
    longpathelijahg
  • Reply 13 of 18
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Love that I pay $65 a month for YouTube TV and it took me 15 minutes to sign in and verify.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 18
    kiehtan said:
    If it doesn't have a tail it's not a monkey
    Even if it has a monkey kinda shape
    If it doesn't have doesn't have a tail it's not a monkey
    Well maybe we could catch it on the tape
    If it doesn't have a tail it's not a monkey if it doesn't have a tail it's not a monkey it's an ape

Rayz2016 said:
    YouTube now as well...

Right, I'd better write that down …

Well, as long as there's a monkey on the case …
  • Reply 15 of 18
    I blame Curious George.  He has no tail, but he calls himself a monkey.

dewmerazorpitSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 18
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    crowley said:
    flydog said:
    crowley said:
    cropr said:

Then businesses should probably rethink whether depending on cloud services with so little guarantee of operation is really in the interest of the business.
    I agree, businesses should be aware of their cost of downtime and come up with preventive strategies to avoid loss. They also need to truly understand what their SLAs with service providers actually mean in terms of downtime.

To pick on Spectrum, they are now advertising 99.9% network "reliability" for their business connectivity service. Okay, first of all they shouldn't be calling this "reliability" because what they are referring to is actually "availability." Ok, not everyone needs to understand the correct terminology and one could argue that availability is part of the reliability engineering domain. But what everyone does need to understand is what 99.9% availability really means.

Availability metrics follow a "rule of nines" rating system in terms of defining how much downtime is allowable to sustain the number of nines past the decimal place. Claiming that something meets 99.9% availability may sound good on a TV commercial while you're munching on Cheetos and guzzling Mountain Dew, but in terms of allowable downtime it equates to almost 44 minutes a month if the system is expected to be available 24x7x365. I'd bet that if those TV commercials said something like "we guarantee that you won't lose your service for more than 44 minutes a month" people would think they're getting pretty crappy "reliability" or "availability" depending on your understanding of this topic. From what I've heard about this latest Google service disruption and trying to recall recent disruptions, Google's service availability is probably still well above one-nines rating, which is generally considered to be acceptable for most business operations that don't promote themselves as "high availability." There are plenty of downtime calculators available online that use the rule of nines calculations.

So yeah, if you're a business that requires a specific availability performance to protect yourself from loss (perhaps in conjunction with an insurance policy) then you'd better make sure that you're standing up all of the right stuff to protect yourself, whether it's cloud based, local, or a combination. This may involve local backups, (various kinds of) redundancy, prepositioning resources, manual overrides, etc. There are plenty of industries and companies that require high availability and they go to extremes to provide the best defense against downtime and put survival techniques in place for getting over certain types of disruptions. It's very expensive and never perfect.

muthuk_vanalingamelijahg
  • Reply 17 of 18
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    sdw2001 said:
    Love that I pay $65 a month for YouTube TV and it took me 15 minutes to sign in and verify.  

That's the price of paying for YouTube TV. (Pun intended)
  • Reply 18 of 18
    No problem. It was just the PRC’s A.I. scraping every bit of user data from Google’s servers. Nothing to be concerned about.
    elijahgwatto_cobra