Who is for/against this war?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    I was leaning toward the need for war last summer, but I am now against it. While war with Iraq possibly was inevitable in the long run, the particular road by which we have arrived at war over the past eight months will be disastrous for US and world security in the long run.

World security will only be provided by effective multilateral action. The current coalition of the willing is a joke - a coalition of the bribed and intimidated - and, in their hearts, the conservative posters on these forums know this. Admit it!

Instead, the US should have expended the time and effort to truly bring its allies on board. Sorry guys, but the US spending eight months going through the motions at the UN, while making it explicit that the US would go ahead regardless of what the UN decides, does not constitute good-faith multilateral action. Nor does the repeated US action in undermining other international efforts (Kyoto, International Criminal Court, missile treaty, etc.).

The US - led by the current ignorant and amoral administration - has effectively chosen to go it alone. This will undermine international cooperation at the national, local and individual level that is necessary to combat terrorism. We will all pay the price. However, for the sake of my children, I hope that I am wrong.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Yes, Chimney. EIGHT MONTHS was a sham--until they've spent EIGHTY MONTHS it counts for nothing.

And France has nothing to do with it.

Those bastard Americans! They screw with everything!
  • Reply 23 of 89
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    I get your point but I think attitude will change when Saddam is gone. The long run in only shows it's carefully planned and there has not been rushed to anything.

Had it been wrong to attach Hitler before WW2? No

Was it wrong to stop Milosevic? No

Was it wrong attacking the Talibans in Afghanistan? No

Is it wrong to stop Saddam Hussein? No

But it was wrong abandoning the Iraqi people after 'Operation Desert Storm'. Sure it's purpose was to free Kuwait but there were civil upraising against him (Saddam) at the time and we didn't support them then. We simply owe them this time. After Saddam's fall people will realize the coalition was right and the French and Germans will dye in shame
  • Reply 24 of 89
    Against
  • Reply 25 of 89
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    In that this war will make more Muslims hate us; that it will cause confusion and chaos in Iraq where extremists will flourish; that it will continue to destroy the international alliances that REALLY keep the peace; that it won't reduce availability of WOMD to terrorists; that innocent people will die; that the only redeeming feature of replacing Saddam with an administration entirely for the benefit of Iraqis clearly will not happen for several years; that it is already inflaming the countries surrounding Iraq; that brave US and UK soldiers will die; that the motives of those prosecuting the war are suspect; that the notion of "pre-emptive war" is a recipie for trouble all over the planet; that it will end up in an absolutely typical plain vanilla WAR and not this precision-guided game by the time we eventually "win" ...

... all of which will lead to a SERIOUSLY SHITTY future for this planet, with terror, counter-terror and death ...

I am absolutely opposed to this war with every fibre of my body.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    You make it sound like it was a bad idea or something . . .
  • Reply 27 of 89
    Against. Essentially for the same reasons provided by Harald in the post above. But even if I didn't fear the potential long-term repercussions of this war I would be against it simply because a number of people (be they Iraqi civilians or US, UK or Iraqi soldiers) that would otherwise be alive are dying. For this reason alone, all other avenues should have been exhausted before war was started.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    So, I think it's time to round up.

AppleInsider's members that frequent AppleOutsider have voted against the war in Iraq, by 39 votes against 30, and nobody not caring.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Against it. See Harald's reasons...also:

There are two legal avenues for the US to go to war:

(1) The US is being attacked, or is about to be attacked.

(2) on the authority of the UN Security Council.

This war fulfils neither of those conditions.

Neither did Vietnam....

Also...this drive to build an American Empire...involving endless war... will backfire in the worst imaginable ways, and maybe for years to come.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DigitalMonkeyBoy

Since Apple computer users are most often a lot more wealthy than PC users I'd say that Apple users would be more likely to be educated based on the fact that having money makes it less likely you'll drop out.

Also, look at regions of wealth. I'd think folks from Massachusetts and California would be well off and we know that they are more liberal than Texas and Utah so I suppose Apple users are more likely to be against the war.

Hmmm, it seems to me that most pro peace people are less educated than pro war people. the hollywood croud is a good example. My problem with the peace croud is that i never here a response to the question of "what should we do?

Though i would say that most of the pro war people have more education

and i think that it is pretty much a matter of record
  • Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

In that this war will make more Muslims hate us; that it will cause confusion and chaos in Iraq where extremists will flourish;...

Muslims hate us because of what Propaganda that they are told.

The only way around this is for them to meet americans

after the war we will be far better off than we are now

as we are getting rid of a primary source of anti-american Propaganda
  • Reply 32 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

Hmmm, it seems to me that most pro peace people are less educated than pro war people. the hollywood croud is a good example. My problem with the peace croud is that i never here a response to the question of "what should we do?

Though i would say that most of the pro war people have more education

and i think that it is pretty much a matter of record

Yeah well, we just follow the "croud" here.

• Reply 33 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

Against it. See Harald's reasons...also:

There are two legal avenues for the US to go to war:

(1) The US is being attacked, or is about to be attacked.

(2) on the authority of the UN Security Council.

(1) How long should we wait. Saddam has stated many times that it is duty to kill americans, etc, etc. anybody who does not believe that irac does not have weapons of distruction is a fool. He has used them so many times in the past. we have seen them we know he had them and he has not given us any proof to have gotten rid of them. I for one do not think that we should wait untill he has a nuke before we deal with him.

(2) the UN was against action against Hitler as well. Infact, all the un does is promote talking. The UN is usless and is not pro action (for anything). give me an example of a mass murderer that the UN approved of taking action against. The UN actually told Saddam that he must comply or else!!

well, he did not comply so what is the or else!!

could it be or else we will do nothing again
  • Reply 34 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Yeah well, we just follow the "croud" here.

imagine that you are the predident before the war

what would you do
  • Reply 35 of 89
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

imagine that you are the predident before the war

what would you do

I will improve my typo
  • Reply 36 of 89
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

Muslims hate us because of what Propaganda that they are told.

The only way around this is for them to meet americans

after the war we will be far better off than we are now

as we are getting rid of a primary source of anti-american Propaganda

Drink the kool-aid man. Americans are not all that, and many people don't like the US based on some solid reasons - not merely propoganda. Some muslims don't like the US because the US supports Israel, plain and simple. While it's not a good reason, it's totally factual. That's not going to change because of this war. But if you want to believe you know the real reasons there's so much animosity towards the US around the world, go right ahead and believe it...

BTW, Muslims are not the only group in the world that don't like the US and not all Muslims (or even most) can be counted in that group.

-t

ps - Harald, while I appreciate your views regarding the Muslim world, I think you are generalizing a little to much. The muslim world is not of one mind on ANY topic, this one notwithstanding.
  • Reply 37 of 89
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    OTOH, to torifile any amount of generalizing is too much, so while he has a good heart he really won't accept any statements unless they are accompanied by sworn affadavits.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    No, propaganda is the reason why people hate the USA. Propaganda is also the reason why people love the USA.

Get thee to Messieurs Baudrillard and mme Sontag. There is no truth, bah, lemme see what I can pull out of my little grab bag of theoretical tricks...

Ahh, there's a little ointment, and a towel, now doesn't that feel good?
  • Reply 39 of 89
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

No, propaganda is the reason why people hate the USA. Propaganda is also the reason why people love the USA.

Get thee to Messieurs Baudrillard and mme Sontag. There is no truth, bah, lemme see what I can pull out of my little grab bag of theoretical tricks...

Ahh, there's a little ointment, and a towel, now doesn't that feel good?

Don't forget Derrida and Foucault.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 40 of 89
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

In that this war will make more Muslims hate us; that it will cause confusion and chaos in Iraq where extremists will flourish; that it will continue to destroy the international alliances that REALLY keep the peace; that it won't reduce availability of WOMD to terrorists; that innocent people will die; that the only redeeming feature of replacing Saddam with an administration entirely for the benefit of Iraqis clearly will not happen for several years; that it is already inflaming the countries surrounding Iraq; that brave US and UK soldiers will die; that the motives of those prosecuting the war are suspect; that the notion of "pre-emptive war" is a recipie for trouble all over the planet; that it will end up in an absolutely typical plain vanilla WAR and not this precision-guided game by the time we eventually "win" ...

... all of which will lead to a SERIOUSLY SHITTY future for this planet, with terror, counter-terror and death ...

I am absolutely opposed to this war with every fibre of my body.

And I, for one, could not agree more. And for that, already, "Thank you Bush and cohorts". Idiots.

- T.I.