Apple Maps expands Look Around to four more US cities

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Apple this week rolled out the Apple Maps Look Around feature in Denver, Detroit, Miami and Fort Lauderdale, giving users a customized street level view of each city.

Look Around

Quietly announced in an update to Apple's feature availability website, the new Look Around locations provide detailed imagery captured along major thoroughfares and side streets.

Released alongside iOS 13 last year, Look Around incorporates high quality photographs with smooth animations and native Maps integration to challenge Google's Street View. Unlike the Google option, however, Look Around availability is extremely limited and expansions to the service are slow going.

Apple launched the feature in select cities and subsequently branched out to other densely populated metro areas. In October, Phoenix, Ariz., gained Look Around support following a debut in the UK and Ireland.

Look Around is available in 17 cities worldwide, most of which are located in the U.S. Beyond the UK, Ireland and Scotland, Japan is the only other international locale to benefit from the feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Look Around is available all over Canada. Not sure if it’s to the same extent that the few big American cities are covered, but it’s pretty decent.
    **just checked, and in Alberta, Canada, the cities of Edmonton, Calgary, and most small towns seem to be covered by Look Around.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    what’s the point to the rest of the world?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Look Around is available all over Canada. Not sure if it’s to the same extent that the few big American cities are covered, but it’s pretty decent.
    **just checked, and in Alberta, Canada, the cities of Edmonton, Calgary, and most small towns seem to be covered by Look Around.
    Apple this week rolled out the Apple Maps Look Around feature in Denver, Detroit, Miami and Fort Lauderdale, giving users a customized street level view of each city.

Look Around is available in 17 cities worldwide, most of which are located in the U.S. Beyond the UK, Ireland and Scotland, Japan is the only other international locale to benefit from the feature.
    Umm… @AppleInsider as @NortherKiddo mentioned look around is pretty much located everywhere in Canada. Including the highways between cities. You can drive the Ice Fields Parkway from Jasper to Banff, stroll the beaches of the Okanagan, do the Robson Street walk in Greater Vancouver, check out the sites in Victoria, see the Prairies of Saskatchewan and the lakes of Manitoba and see the far reaches of Newfoundland and Labrador and the best places to get Donars in Halifax and Poutine in Québec City!

I checked the images from Victoria and it looks like they are from the Summer of 2019.

So Canada is way ahead in coverage! 
    edited December 2020 gregoriusmStrangeDays
  • Reply 4 of 15
    At this rate, I’m very confident Apple will successfully cover the world in two decades. 👍👍👍
    elijahgcornchip
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Well if there’s a country where I’ll happily spend a few minutes wandering about on my iPad, it’s Canada. 

… and Switzerland. 
    jony0
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    … and Italy. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 7 of 15
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    At this rate, I’m very confident Apple will successfully cover the world in two decades. 👍👍👍
    Still waiting for more flyover locations in the UK, none have been added since about 2016 afaik.
    cornchip
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I realize it's a resource allocation problem, but I really wish Apple had more resources to dedicate to bike routes. 
    JWSC
  • Reply 9 of 15
    It's newsworthy that they added 4 cities for 17 TOTAL? This is an incredibly slow rollout for a company as big and with as many resources as Apple.
    jony0elijahgStrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 15
    But Edmonton does not have 3D flyover and satellite photos are many years old. Sadly, Apple Maps are useless in Edmonton. 
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Lord this rollout is taking forever! Far longer than I had expected when those Apple Maps vans came round years back.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    ivanh said:
    what’s the point to the rest of the world?
    What's the point of constantly complaining about things none of us can help you with? I live in the US, I'm happy to have more US cities. If you don't like that, start a company in your garage and make something better?
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 13 of 15

It's newsworthy that they added 4 cities for 17 TOTAL? This is an incredibly slow rollout for a company as big and with as many resources as Apple.
    No doubt. The manpower to stitch these together is something I'd think they would hire out to contractors. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    Yeah. Apple’s 3D maps will be awesome for our grandkids. 
  • Reply 15 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member

No doubt. The manpower to stitch these together is something I'd think they would hire out to contractors. 
    It’s something I’d think they would have somewhat automated?