Facebook continues newspaper attack over Apple ad tracking privacy program

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
Continuing its theme of defending small businesses, Facebook has taken out another full-page newspaper ad claiming that Apple is trying to change the internet for the worse.

Facebook expects to lose 60% of its income following Apple's privacy changes
Facebook expects to lose 60% of its income following Apple's privacy changes

Following both one newspaper ad and a blog post, Facebook has now taken out a second full-page advert doubling down on its criticisms of Apple's privacy features. It again claims that the forthcoming ad tracking prevention in iOS 14 will damage small businesses.

Facebook's protest is against how Apple is shortly to require users to give permission for ad tracking, and do so app by app. That requirement was going to be part of the initial iOS 14 release, but Apple delayed it until early 2021.

As highlighted with Apple's new privacy or "nutrition" labels, Facebook gathers a great deal of data about users from its app. Facebook now says it expects to see a 60% drop in its income because of the privacy changes, having previously estimated 50%.

In a statement to AppleInsider, Apple responded to the attack ads. The company said companies like Facebook are welcome to continue tracking users, so long as those users have a choice in the matter.

"We believe that this is a simple matter of standing up for our users. Users should know when their data is being collected and shared across other apps and websites -- and they should have the choice to allow that or not," Apple said. "App Tracking Transparency in iOS 14 does not require Facebook to change its approach to tracking users and creating targeted advertising, it simply requires they give users a choice."

The text of the ad has been seen by AppleInsider and is as follows. All emphasis is Facebook's.
Apple plans to roll out a forced software update that will change the internet as we know it -- for the worse.

Take your favorite cooking sites or sports blogs. Most are free because they show advertisements.

Apple's change will limit their ability to run personalized ads. To make ends meet, many will have to start charging you subscription fees or adding more in-app purchases, making the internet much more expensive and reducing high-quality free content.

Beyond hurting apps and websites, many in the small business community say this change will be devastating for them too, at a time when they face enormous challenges. They need to be able to effectively reach the people most interested in their products and services to grow.

Forty-four percent of small to medium businesses started or increased their usage of personalized ads on social media during the pandemic, according to a new Deloitte study. Without personalized ads, Facebook data shows that the average small business advertiser stands to see a cut of over 60% in their sales for every dollar they spend.

Small businesses deserve to be heard. We're standing up to Apple for our small business customers and our communities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I can run my small business just fine without facebook.
    CuJoYYCDogpersonzroger73Graeme000p-dogviclauyycmontrosemacsNotoriousDEVwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 30
    And yet I don’t recollect ever seeing any relevant ad anywhere. Ever! Facebook and Google know everything in my life but my d*ck size! Knowledge that came at a steep cost to my data plan and battery usage on my devices. For what?

It’s a scam industry as far as I’m concerned. It’s time to grant that the emperor has no clothes!

I agree though that will be hard to convince a generation used to get a lot “for free” on the internet that the we are far better off paying directly for stuff! Ultimately, that’s is in our better interests as consumers, and better for producers too, without ad money kibitzing everything they do!
    baconstangDogpersonmontrosemacsNotoriousDEVmattinozwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 30
    ...and thus endeth the gold rush...
    ...now about that iCloud, Photos auto tagging, and on it goes...
    edited December 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Users should have the right to know how their data is being used. Period. It’s called privacy and consent and Facebook/Google made the mistake of basing their businesses on the collection and capitalization of this data. Apple is just saying that is you put an app on their App Store that you announce your intentions and the user can decide if they want to use your service or not. 
    baconstangbageljoeyCuJoYYCDogpersonwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 30
    This is a tough sell for Facebook since most people feel like they’re being spied on when they see targeted ads. Saying businesses need to spy on you to make a living is not going to win many converts. It’s like Apple selling home alarms and Facebook lamenting how much this will hurt burglars.
    baconstangDogpersonDetnatorrob55mattinozwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Only 60% loss of revenue? I'm taking out newspaper ads calling for 100%.
    Rayz2016Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 30
    This is a tough sell for Facebook...

SINCE IT'S A LIE!

Advertising will still exist, targeting will decrease to the extent that each individual CHOOSES to keep his info private.

FB might learn to make a living and not expose people to bullying, mayhem, murder, and, yes, genocide (Miyanmar).

Who gave Z the right to weaponize FaceBook in the service of profit and dominance?

DogpersonCuJoYYCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 30
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    This may turn out to be one of the more public relations misfires in a long time...Facebook itself is bringing attention to the desire to remove user choice when it comes to privacy and opaque usage of user data, areas which they are a prime target.

It's a breathtakingly desperate and a rather brainless campaign at a time when a vast majority users (and governments) WANT better controls for identity and privacy, and more transparency around the access and use of data.

They are quite literally saying to its users: You should have no choice whether we track and collect data about you! 

If it so valuable to end users, they will opt in. Apple is not removing that choice.

Perhaps Facebook needs to finally rethink what its value is, and charge for a version of the app where there is no tracking. The problem is they likely monetize you and your data so many times over that you would need to pay $500 for the app....

This type of campaign reinforces the very need for the thing Apple is implementing. Thank you Mark!

edited December 2020 CuJoYYCGraeme000p-dogDetnatorNotoriousDEVrob55watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 30
    While privacy and control of one’s data are concepts I support, and Facebook and Google are clearly abusing their ability to harvest and sell data, don’t go thinking Apple is being altruistic in their implementation of new features to enhance privacy. Apple is using privacy as a marketing tool to sell more Apple products which offer users more privacy controls. Since Apple doesn’t have an ad revenue stream to protect they love privacy and the idea of making money off of privacy. Nothing wrong with that. Just don’t think they are being benevolent.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Base on the fb ad, they’re saying that “screw users need for privacy and their right to choose, let’s convince our moneybags that we’re on their side so we keep our pockets full.”

I believe any businesses that has good leadership will figure out new source of revenue when their old business model doesn’t work anymore. This action from fb tells me they don’t have new ideas. So they behave like petulant child and cry their eyes out to get sympathy to get what they want. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Cry, baby, cry! I removed my profiles from every FB owned platform, even though as a music producer I could benefit from advertising my songs and service there... Guess I’d rather find some other platform than waste my precious lifetime on anything FB. That’s my reply to all their baseless statements in those giant ads.
    viclauyycNotoriousDEVwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 30
    I canceled my cable television subscription years ago because I got tired of paying to watch commercials.

I avoid watching live television because I can't stand commercials.

I used to enjoy Facebook until it became a chronologically-disorganized cesspool of re-shares, advertisements, and misinformation.

YouTube has become an exercise in frustration as videos are constantly interrupted with commercials. I don't get enough value from YouTube to pay to remove ads.

Even though Facebook is the primary conduit through which I interact with my friends and family (particularly during the pandemic), I'll delete my account and the app before I pay for it. 
    p-dogosmartormenajrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 30
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    tedz98 said:
    While privacy and control of one’s data are concepts I support, and Facebook and Google are clearly abusing their ability to harvest and sell data, don’t go thinking Apple is being altruistic in their implementation of new features to enhance privacy. Apple is using privacy as a marketing tool to sell more Apple products which offer users more privacy controls. Since Apple doesn’t have an ad revenue stream to protect they love privacy and the idea of making money off of privacy. Nothing wrong with that. Just don’t think they are being benevolent.
    How else would you give users the ability to protect themselves from unwanted tracking, other than by, well, giving them a choice? 

This is what the platform will provide. As long as Apple adheres to the same rules and requirements, there is nothing but benefit here.

Advertising wasn't ALWAYS tagged specifically to your ass, and businesses large and small did fine.

edited December 2020 kurai_kagemontrosemacsrob55watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 30
    p-dogp-dog Posts: 131member
    Zuckerberg thinks his KoolAid is ever so yummmmmmmmy!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 30
    I am sure this will help FB’s antitrust and privacy case. 

What were they thinking? I thought Mark is a little smarter than this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Maybe Mark Zuckerberg is intentionally trying to lose a case (which he knows he will lose anyway) in order to make FaceBook appear like a victim. The next case might be more ambiguous and people may feel they owe FaceBook a win next time around.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Google, Facebook and others essentially hid this tracking.  While they publicly admitted doing so, most people don't really understand just how closely they're being tracked.

For most people, it simply felt that they were getting free stuff from the internet.   This site is an example:   we get great, timely information and a forum to discuss it in -- and its all free, free, free....

Except somebody has to pay the bills.   It's only free to us because of the advertising -- just as broadcast TV is free because of its advertising.
    So, tracking you across sites in order to send you personalized ads (such as an ad for MacBooks after you search for laptops) is just a minor extension of that that makes their ad dollars more effective.

Perhaps what people don't like is that they don't really know what information, where it is going and how it will be used.
    Perhaps this is a good first step.
    gatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Newspaper? How ever will they reach their audience? They aren’t able to track people through newspapers!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 30
    With Zuckerberg spending hundreds of millions to influence the presidential election, it’s obvious he’s seeing himself as someone with an opinion so important that it should be forced on others with all of his monetary might.

I really wish celebrities and wealthy people who made their money by some other means wouldn’t see themselves as more important than the average Joe. They made their money acting, building products, etc., not being all-wise gurus.

Give it a rest Zuckerberg. You’ve made enough money to support thousands of people for their entire lifetimes. That doesn’t make you smarter and you don’t need to claim intellectual superiority to try and keep Facebook alive. It’s run its course. Let it die. 
    edited December 2020 qwerty52watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 30
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    tedz98 said:
    I see it a little differently. Apple has an ad network but they haven’t been able to scale it like the others and maintain the level of privacy and data protection we demand. They even stopped taking a share if their partners sold the ad directly. Some things they do for profit, others they do to maintain their brand image so they can profit off premium offerings. 
    watto_cobra