Facebook tells business users that iOS 14 privacy features will impact marketing

Posted:
in General Discussion
Facebook is alerting business users on its platform that new privacy features in iOS 14 could "significantly impact" their marketing and advertising efforts.

Credit: Brett Jordan
Credit: Brett Jordan

The social media giant has criticized the upcoming privacy changes, which will make a specific tracking tag explicitly opt in, in a blog post and full-page newspaper ads.

Now, it appears that Facebook is using banners in Facebook Business Suite and Facebook Ad Manager on iOS to get its message across.

This is the most Facebook thing ever... pic.twitter.com/pbOeD47HrE

-- Jason Aten (@JasonAten)

Banners in both apps now claim that "Apple has announced product and policy changes that may significantly impact the way you can run ads, measure performance, and engage customers."

Earlier in 2020, Facebook estimated that advertising revenue could drop by between 50% and 60% because of the new privacy features. Since then, Facebook has repeatedly taken swipes at Apple, and vice versa.

Initially slated to go into effect when iOS 14 launched, Apple delayed the rollout of the anti-tracking features until 2021 to give developers more time to prepare.

The privacy feature affects the Identifier for Advertiser (IDFA), which allows advertisers to collect data across apps and platforms. When the changes debut, IDFA users will need to explicitly opt in to IDFA tracking.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Perhaps even more scary for Facebook and all the ad sellers selling targeted ads is if the collapse of their entire business model in the iOS arena doesn't cause havoc, and the emperor suddenly appears naked in public.

I've always had serious doubts about the efficacy of targeted ads - I tend to see them primarily after I've bought an item (and am no longer in the market).

I suppose if you're the type who hems and haws and takes days or weeks to make a purchase this could have an effect on you, but once I've decided to pull the trigger I go in, visit a few sites, and simply do it.

It's not like all those targeted ads get you a better deal or something.

badmonkbshanksvanstromviclauyycpumpkin_kingJaiOh81applguyDetnatorMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    How evil their whole argument, “fewer options for us to track, surveil and generally violate everyone’s individual privacy means less profit for you, so be prepared for this horrible attack on your business all because Apple.”

How much control and personal privacy are people willing to cede to these greedy bastards? Is it any wonder why all dystopian future fiction depicts corporations the same way?
    CuJoYYCviclauyycaderutterrcfawatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Well at least they’re finally making it more clear who the real customer is: businesses who want to market stuff to us. Better than pretending the users of the app are their customers.
    svanstromdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    bshank said:
    Well at least they’re finally making it more clear who the real customer is: businesses who want to market stuff to us. Better than pretending the users of the app are their customers.
    Has Facebook ever said that the users are their customers?  I don't recall ever hearing or reading that.  It's been known that users were always the product.
    viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sflocal said:
    bshank said:
    Has Facebook ever said that the users are their customers?  I don't recall ever hearing or reading that.  It's been known that users were always the product.
    By placing ads in the nationals, Facebook was trying to galvanise the general public against Apple. They realised, in pretty short order, that this wasn’t going to work, so they’ve now pulled back to focus on businesses. 

I don’t know about anyone else, but I have never clicked on an ad on any platform. I even avoid clicking on ads in the App Store. 
    fred1williamlondonaderutterDetnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Perhaps even more scary for Facebook and all the ad sellers selling targeted ads is if the collapse of their entire business model in the iOS arena doesn't cause havoc, and the emperor suddenly appears naked in public.

I've always had serious doubts about the efficacy of targeted ads - I tend to see them primarily after I've bought an item (and am no longer in the market).

I suppose if you're the type who hems and haws and takes days or weeks to make a purchase this could have an effect on you, but once I've decided to pull the trigger I go in, visit a few sites, and simply do it.

It's not like all those targeted ads get you a better deal or something.
    I have no doubts about businesses relying primarily on Facebook's (the company, not just the obvious platform) ads will see less return on their money now.

Not trusting FB as far as I can block them I would say that that drop will probably be a bit artificially inflated (as FB are playing victims, and grabbing even more cash while they can); but even ignoring that…

What I said was that businesses relying primarily on FB will suffer; and IMO that just wasn't an efficient platform to build a sustainable business on to begin with. It was a bubble built on a lawless wild west that's now (finally) getting a proper sheriff.

The businesses will move on, and they will leave a crying FB behind; as FB is getting even more irrelevant.
    GabyDetnatorolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    It is official now: Zuckerberg is desperate!
    svanstromwilliamlondonaderutterolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 26
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Incidentally Australian consumer protection body filed suit against Facebook on the same day for false and misleading advertising. 

svanstromqwerty52williamlondonmacseekerDetnatorolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Cry me a river.  Facebook is not on the side of privacy in any shape or form unless it is to protect their own secrets and dirty dealings (Cambrodge Analytica for starters).
    Keep it up Apple.
    svanstromwilliamlondonbaconstangaderuttermike54Rayz2016Detnatorolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    My guess would be that the longer and louder Facebook cries about this, the more  it will drive people to use iOS and apples OS systems. Oh, we can get privacy now? Great!
    svanstromwilliamlondonaderutterRayz2016Detnatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    So what Facebook are really saying is that given a proper chance 50% - 60% of its captives (sorry customers) would switch off real tracking of themsleves by Facebook if given the real chance hmmm.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    sflocal said:
    bshank said:
    Remember, Facebook was free with no efforts to monetize the platform until they were near a billion users. Then the terms of use changed. Now they control the space.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    0ID00ID0 Posts: 26member
    Facebook should start to make smartphones, proposed name Facphone and create an app store, proposed name Facstore.
    Here you go Zuck!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Mark, you still Zuck.

oh, and this:

qwerty52svanstromaderuttermattinozDetnatorwatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Wov! Assbook will ever understand that Apple is on user's side and not just making money. Individual privacy matters and not open for sale !
    svanstromolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Awww poor Facebook. Boy they have to be in control of everything and everyone or what!  Blatant censorship included!  The disinformation campaign is on!  God forbid they can’t know everything you do everyday.  Their desperation with these full page ads is obvious.  Be tough Apple. Do not give in to that little weasel zuckerburg
    svanstromwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Sorry Facebook, Apple giving consumers the choice to opt out of your targeted advertising is not anti-competitive behavior.
    svanstromolswatto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 18 of 26
    It’s not often the EFF supports Apple and dings Facebook and Google at the same time:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/12/facebooks-laughable-campaign-against-apple-really-against-users-and-small

They usually bash all three in the same hit. 
    olswatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26

Mark, you still Zuck.

oh, and this:

Look at this shit! This is how Facebook tracks people who aren’t on Facebook. 
    rotateleftbyteqwerty52Detnatorolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Rayz2016 said:

Mark, you still Zuck.

oh, and this:

Look at this shit! This is how Facebook tracks people who aren’t on Facebook. 
    I saw that in a tweet a few days back. Amazing...
    Facebook is crazy aggressive at demanding opt-in. Logging in to Disqus earlier this week I accidentally tapped the "Log-in with Facebook"  button rather than my Disqus account and all week since I get pop-ups at odd times from Facebook wanting me to complete the setup and connect accounts. I've unintentionally tapped other log-in options there before, ie Google and Twitter, and never have any of the others popped back up after being dismissed.  I've had the same issue with Facebook Messenger telling me to add the app, over and over and over.

FWIW I only access Facebook via my wife's account (I don't have one) and only as necessary for responding to some upcoming event or class. Every once in a while there's no other option for corresponding with certain people or groups. 
    edited December 2020