Apple Maps Look Around imaging vehicles spotted in New Zealand, Singapore, Israel

Posted:
in iOS edited December 2020
The Look Around feature of Apple Maps may work with more countries in the future, with Apple's vehicles driving around Israel, New Zealand, and Singapore to collect images used to generate the street-level views.

Introduced in iOS 13 and later macOS Big Sur, Look Around is Apple Maps' answer to Google Maps' Streetview. Using photographs caught by its fleet of Apple Maps vehicles, scrollable views from street level are available to access in a number of locations, though it seems more areas will be added to the roster soon enough.

The Apple Maps Image Collection page, which lists countries and regions, the type of image collection mechanism being used, and when the capturing is taking place, has been updated with details relating to three countries. Spotted by MacRumors, listings covering Israel, Singapore, and New Zealand now show vehicles have been active in various parts of each territory.

For Israel, vehicles are passing through the Central, Haifa, Jerusalem, Northern, Southern, and Tel Aviv districts from October until March, with the same timeframe being used for the Auckland, Christchurch, and Wellington regions of New Zealand. For Singapore, the capture period is briefer, running from November until January, with five regions being covered: Central, North East, North West, South East, and South West.

The capture schedules indicate images are being collected for the feature, but not necessarily when the images will be used by Apple Maps itself. It is possible that Look Around could be expanded to cover those areas within months of data collection completing.

In December, Apple rolled out Look Around in Canada, offering the ability to view select parts of cities including Calgary, Montreal, and Toronto. Other recent expansions include four cities in the United States, and London, Edinburgh, and Dublin in the U.K.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    They've been going about in the UK for at least 4 years, and yet there are only a handful of cities it works in here. Apple has a horrible habit of introducing something with big fanfare, extolling its virtues, only to tell people that the feature is "coming soon" to particular territories and it never arrives, or arrives so many years later everyone's long forgotten about it.  Essentially vaporware for most of the world until that point. At the speed they're rolling it out the map will make a better a time machine than anything else.

Yes, Google had a 7 year lead on Apple, but is Apple Maps as good now, after 8 years of its existence, as Google Maps was after 8 years? Google already had street view when Apple Maps was released, it took Apple 7 years to introduce it. Apple has way more money than Google had when they introduced Street View, so it can't be cost related. I'd say for basic mapping Apple Maps is better, but pretty much every value-added feature Google beats Apple by quite a way.

The few places it does work it looks great, way better resolution and granularity than Street View, just a shame that there aren't many places it does actually work. Mushy Google pictures are better than no pictures at all. "Look around" is a pretty crap name as well. Everyone immediately knows what "street view" implies, even without hearing of it before. "Look around" though is too generic and not descriptive enough. Oha nd there's no way to see what roads are actually look around enabled on Apple Maps, its just pot lock.
    edited December 2020 kitatitentropys
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Previously the page listed Australia with several cities. That is no longer the case. Other countries are still listed even though they only have past dates. I hope they haven’t postponed the project for Australia. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Yep I saw a car in Wellington, New Zealand a couple of weeks ago. Had Apple written on it clearly.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    elijahg said:
    They've been going about in the UK for at least 4 years, and yet there are only a handful of cities it works in here. Apple has a horrible habit of introducing something with big fanfare, extolling its virtues, only to tell people that the feature is "coming soon" to particular territories and it never arrives, or arrives so many years later everyone's long forgotten about it.  Essentially vaporware for most of the world until that point. At the speed they're rolling it out the map will make a better a time machine than anything else.

Yes, Google had a 7 year lead on Apple, but is Apple Maps as good now, after 8 years of its existence, as Google Maps was after 8 years? Google already had street view when Apple Maps was released, it took Apple 7 years to introduce it. Apple has way more money than Google had when they introduced Street View, so it can't be cost related. I'd say for basic mapping Apple Maps is better, but pretty much every value-added feature Google beats Apple by quite a way.

The few places it does work it looks great, way better resolution and granularity than Street View, just a shame that there aren't many places it does actually work. Mushy Google pictures are better than no pictures at all. "Look around" is a pretty crap name as well. Everyone immediately knows what "street view" implies, even without hearing of it before. "Look around" though is too generic and not descriptive enough. Oha nd there's no way to see what roads are actually look around enabled on Apple Maps, its just pot lock.
    I agree, billions in stock buy backs somehow benefits us Apple uses but spending those billions on things like getting Apple maps is a dumb idea. I’m a simpleton but twice as many cars, drivers, GIS, software people wouldn’t hurt. 

I still use Apple maps as my first choice but if I’ve got to search a business and get directions quickly I’ll use Google maps. Or if I’m on a road trip and want to keep an eye on speed limits ect I use Waze. Even though Apple maps is far from terrible now, the perception in most people’s eyes is that it’s hopeless. Only money spent on maps so it is actually better and promotion will change that. 
    elijahgentropys
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Does this mean I’ll be able to look around Hobbiton! 😀
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Does this mean I’ll be able to look around Hobbiton! 😀
    Not unless Apple attaches cameras to one of these...

• Reply 7 of 11
    kitatit said:
    elijahg said:

I agree, billions in stock buy backs somehow benefits us Apple uses but spending those billions on things like getting Apple maps is a dumb idea. I’m a simpleton but twice as many cars, drivers, GIS, software people wouldn’t hurt. 

I still use Apple maps as my first choice but if I’ve got to search a business and get directions quickly I’ll use Google maps. Or if I’m on a road trip and want to keep an eye on speed limits ect I use Waze. Even though Apple maps is far from terrible now, the perception in most people’s eyes is that it’s hopeless. Only money spent on maps so it is actually better and promotion will change that. 
    Actually, it isn’t. Most people use it and don’t give it a second thought. Whiny tech nerds do not represent normals. 

Also, Apple Maps has speed limits. 
    igorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kitatit said:
    elijahg said:

Actually, it isn’t. Most people use it and don’t give it a second thought. Whiny tech nerds do not represent normals. 

Also, Apple Maps has speed limits. 
    I wish Apple Maps would show speed limits when I wasn’t using it for navigation. 

For instance, my brother lives about a 2 hour drive from me for the last 25 years. I know the route and don’t need any navigation but I’m not always familiar with the posted limits, like I am closer to home. It would be convenient to have maps display the speed limit all the time, especially since I use CarPlay and the map is on-screen most of the time anyway. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Using satnav to tell you the local speed limit can get out of date quickly though compared with speed sign recognition tech. And given the worse than geriatric pace of Apple Maps feature roll out, could you trust the speed limit feature? Really?
    elijahg
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Other recent expansions include four cities in the United States, and London, Edinburgh, and Dublin in the U.K.
    Dublin isn’t in the UK 
    Lazy reporting 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    kitatit said:
    elijahg said:

Whiny tech nerds do not represent normals. 

Evergreen post.