Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to all the rumors floating about the net, it appears as though Apple is setting itself up to release new products at the end of the month. Specifically, a new 15-inch PowerBook possibly with the new PowerPC 970 chip; new iBooks; new music service replete with a new version of iTunes and new set of iPods; new tablet/PDA device; could we possibly soon hear of a press-invited "Special Event?"

The time frame is looking either Monday, April 28th or Tuesday, April 29th.

For perspective, the PowerBook 15-inch was last updated Wednesday, Nov. 6th, and previous to that Monday, April 29th, so this fits into their upgrade cycle.

Additionally, the iPod hasn't been updated since last summer, and stocks are low.

There was also talk over at ThinkSecret about new G3 processors back in December.

Discuss...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 252
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    How did you come to those dates?

Screed
  • Reply 2 of 252
    29th of April is my girlfriends birthday.. So yes, it is a speciel event!
  • Reply 3 of 252
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    There will no doubt be a special event to announce the music service, of course. An announcement would probably be made about 10 days prior so the press could make arrangements to be at Cupertino.
  • Reply 4 of 252
    I can't wait for the new iPods... I've been waitng for quite some time now... every tuesday..... tisk tisk tisk.............. I don't think there would be a massive update at the same time. I think maybe the music service - and the iPods on the 28th. 15 PowerBook w/ 970 (if true) would be at WWDC since Panther would be 64 bit enabled, and you couldn't use a 970 on Jag as far as I can tell. Tablet.... meh... not sure - maybe combined with an iBook update, which I suppose would be at the same time as the PowerBooks since they were updated at the same time 6 months ago - or maybe iBooks could be updated on the 28th... because that would make sense for the time period...

PowerBooks w/970: WWDC

PowerBooks w/o 970: 28th

iPod:28th

iBook: 28th

Tablet: unknown

Well, it sure seems that it could be a huge event - so I'm not sure of myself.

P.S. Sorry for thinking out loud.
  • Reply 5 of 252
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Um do you mean WWDC / April of next YEAR for the PowerBook with 970? It won't even be in desktops by April 28 so why would it be in laptops, which usually trail a year behind in terms of CPU.
  • Reply 6 of 252
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Well that's the thing, Aquatic. I've read that the new 970 will produce less heat, and use less energy than the 1GHz G4. So while you may be using the G4's introduction into PowerBooks as a means to say that we won't see the 970s in laptops before they're in desktops awhile, I don't necessarily think those rules apply anymore. Like I said in another post, that if I told everyone in December that we'd see the new faster version of Firewire debut in the PowerBook first, most people on this forum would stone me to death.

I think the times and the circumstances are different now. I think it's wholly possible that Apple just *may* introduce the 970 in the PowerBooks, *then* the desktops. Given the amount of buzz on the net right now about future Apple products seemingly WEEKS away...the end of the month will draw near and only then will we find out what Apple has up it's sleeve, if anything.
  • Reply 7 of 252
    Me waits patiently until the 28th

Ma watches PowerBook comercial with Yow Ming (sp?) over and over
  • Reply 8 of 252
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    Does anyone know if the theater where Apple usually holds the special events is booked for any of those days? I remember seeing a page with a schedule once but I can't find it.
  • Reply 9 of 252
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    Are you talking about the Flint center by any chance? I think most Apple events take place in a small auditorium near the campus, can't think of the name though, but ATAT had a link to it and it's calendar a while back.
  • Reply 10 of 252
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

How did you come to those dates?

Screed

How? The 29th is a Tuesday.
  • Reply 11 of 252
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Crusader

Are you talking about the Flint center by any chance? I think most Apple events take place in a small auditorium near the campus, can't think of the name though, but ATAT had a link to it and it's calendar a while back.

Could be. I just seem to remember a schedule for a theater somewhere that was blocked on the day of an special event.
  • Reply 12 of 252
    You never know. They released the DVI PowerBooks last April on Monday the 29th. So who's to say they won't do it on a Monday again, this time on the 28th? Kasper Jade's article on the front page of this forum talks about Apple debuting its music service on the 28th...that's a Monday. So if they are debuting the music, they might as well do iPods, iBooks, PowerBooks too!!
  • Reply 13 of 252
    Forget the 28th, there is going to be a press release today at 12 noon PST.

http://www.nab.org/conventions/nab20...onferences.asp
  • Reply 14 of 252
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    NAB press conference already announced by Apple two weeks ago. It's been discussed on this forum. It's about SOFTWARE solutions in the video realm. Nothing about Apple hardware will be announced. Old news.
  • Reply 15 of 252
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    How frigging long is it going to take Apple to put a high quality voice recorder on an iPod? I'll have one in my pocket the second they do that, untill then, I can wait.

On a side note, it appears that Sony may be ready to put a 5GB HD into a Clie! That would be excellent, provided they put a good mic on the thing for me to record with, something with a good noise cancelling ability, I've tried a few PDA's now and their voice recorders all suck.
  • Reply 16 of 252
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

you couldn't use a 970 on Jag as far as I can tell.

The 970 should run 32 bit code (which should, AFAIK, include Jaguar) fine. It might need an enabler if Mac OS X.2 doesn't run non G3/G4 CPUs or to correct minor CPU errata.
  • Reply 17 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

29th of April is my girlfriends birthday.. So yes, it is a speciel event!

For whom?
  • Reply 18 of 252
    I now believe that the new PowerBook 15-inch release is very near; imminent.
  • Reply 19 of 252
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I think also that the release of the new powerbook will come soon, but unlike people here , i think that if there is a new chip it will be the 7457 and not the ppc 970.

There is no chance that the first ppc 970 appear in a powerbooK. It will be a marketing disaster. After this release nobody will buy anymore any powermac : everypeople will wait for the new powermac line.

In the contrary a powerbook with a 1V ppc 7457 will be a logical step, in the evolution of the powerbook line. More power, less heat, no major redesighing of the mobo.
  • Reply 20 of 252
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

It will be a marketing disaster. After this release nobody will buy anymore any powermac : everypeople will wait for the new powermac line.

This is an excellent point, but I don't think it's quite that bad of a sign. I too don't think we'll see the 970 until mid-summer at least, but to prevent a disaster like that they just have to be released at the same time as the new PowerMacs or not too far before. Not that PowerMac sales are really worth protecting in their current form anyway.