Apple could begin producing its own car with a 'next level' battery in 2024

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    tobian said:
    MplsP said:
    A new, better battery technology is the holy grail of electric vehicles that everyone is working on. Tesla just announced improvements in electrode design at their last shareholder meeting that improved their existing Li tech and every other electric car maker, plus battery companies like Samsung, Panasonic and LG are all working on both improvements to Li battery tech as well as alternatives to it. If Apple suddenly comes up with something, more than a few people would be interested. It would also potentially impact other portable devices like phones and laptops. To my knowledge, though, Apple has never done any significant work in batteries, so I read this rumor with not a small amount of skepticism.

I remember Steve introducing 17” Pro with new built-in battery. That was the first time I’ve heard about the battery charge cycle lifetime going up from 300 to 1000. Untill then, laptop bulky batteries was just a box with several cylindrical monocells and some empty space around. I consider it significant.
    flydog said:

MplsP said:
    Apple has never done any significant work in batteries, so I read this rumor with not a small amount of skepticism.
    Ummm what?  You mean the Apple that sells the iPhone, iPad, and MacBook?
    As @"avon b7" said, those were pretty run of the mill batteries but more specifically, Apple did not develop them. They simply used them in their devices. The article implies that Apple is working on some breakthrough battery technology.

edited December 2020
  • Reply 22 of 99
    robabarobaba Posts: 228member
    LFP batteries have been in production for years, so if it’s something “new” it would be a tweak of the formula or production process.  LFP have excellent thermal characteristics, are robust and durable, though with perhaps not as long a lifespan as might be liked.  The fact that they can be made much cheaper then anything with nickel or cobalt balances out this drawback somewhat.  

Biggest breakthrough with LFP might be better recycling procedures.

self driving I can do without

• Reply 23 of 99

avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

MplsP said:
    Apple has never done any significant work in batteries, so I read this rumor with not a small amount of skepticism.
    Those batteries aren't really anything special by today's standards. When it comes to the chemistry and cooling, I don't remember much coming from Apple. Not even the charging. 

I'm not really up to date with the internals on Apple's battery offerings but from what I can see, they use industry offerings. From trusted vendors, yes (LG?). Good quality but that's it as far as I can tell.

Have they really made much mention of battery chemistry in recent years? 
    Excellent question/post. 

No they have not. Makes me skeptical as well. 
    Take a look at Tesla's 'battery day' presentation. They go in to some detail about battery composition and some of the issues/advancements. They still use Li ion batteries, but they are not all the same. Whether we can achieve the advances everyone wants with Li ion batteries or not remains to be seen. My vote is no, but I wouldn't take my word for it.

muthuk_vanalingamalandail
  • Reply 24 of 99
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    blastdoor said:
    Why not an Apple Bicycle instead of a car to encourage bike riding instead of driving all the time? And a lot more people could afford an Apple Bike instead of the ultra rich few who will have to pay $50,000 to $100,000 a copy. 
    The Apple bike — it’s like a computer for your legs.
    👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻 Very nice.
  • Reply 25 of 99
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

MplsP said:
    Those batteries aren't really anything special by today's standards. When it comes to the chemistry and cooling, I don't remember much coming from Apple. Not even the charging. 

I'm not really up to date with the internals on Apple's battery offerings but from what I can see, they use industry offerings. From trusted vendors, yes (LG?). Good quality but that's it as far as I can tell.

I wonder if there's an analogy to SOC fabrication. While Apple knows a thing or two about how to design a SOC and integrate it into a product, they have no particular expertise in the physical materials and manufacturing. The 5nm process TSMC uses for Apple is the same that they use for others who are able to pay for it. (and not many can pay for it)

Maybe Apple's relationship to batteries is similar? They don't have any advantage in chemistry or manufacturing, but they know how to design it into a product and they are able to write some very big checks to whoever the best supplier might be. If Apple has the good taste to pick the winner among battery manufacturers and then write a big check to secure a big chunk of the supply, that's not a small thing. 

tobian
  • Reply 26 of 99
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

MplsP said:

I wonder if there's an analogy to SOC fabrication. While Apple knows a thing or two about how to design a SOC and integrate it into a product, they have no particular expertise in the physical materials and manufacturing. The 5nm process TSMC uses for Apple is the same that they use for others who are able to pay for it. (and not many can pay for it)

Maybe Apple's relationship to batteries is similar? They don't have any advantage in chemistry or manufacturing, but they know how to design it into a product and they are able to write some very big checks to whoever the best supplier might be. If Apple has the good taste to pick the winner among battery manufacturers and then write a big check to secure a big chunk of the supply, that's not a small thing. 

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Toyota-s-game-changing-solid-state-battery-en-route-for-2021-debut

"TOKYO -- A trip of 500 km on one charge. A recharge from zero to full in 10 minutes. All with minimal safety concerns. The solid-state battery being introduced by Toyota promises to be a game changer not just for electric vehicles but for an entire industry.

The technology is a potential cure-all for the drawbacks facing electric vehicles that run on conventional lithium-ion batteries, including the relatively short distance traveled on a single charge as well as charging times. Toyota plans to be the first company to sell an electric vehicle equipped with a solid-state battery in the early 2020s. The world's largest automaker will unveil a prototype next year.

The electric vehicles being developed by Toyota will have a range more than twice the distance of a vehicle running on a conventional lithium-ion battery under the same conditions. All accomplished without sacrificing interior space in even the most compact vehicle.

Solid-state batteries are expected to become a viable alternative to lithium-ion batteries that use aqueous electrolyte solutions. The innovation would lower the risk of fires, and multiply energy density, which measures the energy a battery can deliver compared to its weight."

Toyota, VW, et al, are all going to solid state batteries over the next few years, and it isn't hard to predict that Apple would want to incorporate those into whatever it decides to produce. Apple has the checkbook to buy what they need, and doesn't need to develop its own solid state battery technology, though they likely will end up getting a custom tweak of same.

There's a shit ton of EV's on the road, especially Tesla's, that are recognized fire hazards. Solid State batteries make those all obsolete.
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 27 of 99
    I just hope that the batteries aren’t glued to the chassis.
    MplsPsvanstromllama
  • Reply 28 of 99
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    rcfa said:
    The only “next level” battery technology worth talking about is one without lithium.

It makes me want to puke when self-righteous “environmentalists” drive around in their stupid BEVs pretending to save the world, while they destroy a unique eco system and the livelihoods of many indigenous people.

BEVs based on lithium batteries are a disaster, lithium batteries in general are a disaster, but the sheer volume of those going into cars make them particularly unsustainable.

EVs are not bad per se, that’s why there are either FCEVs, which would be best, because they also get rid of the charging problem, or BEVs with non-lithium batteries.

I strongly hope that Apple isn’t the next billion dollar company greenwashing BEVs with lithium batteries.
    FoolCells have been a failure in the Market.  Toyota has been pushing them for years.   How many places where you can refuel in the country.   Probably less than 1000.   And it's not like you can refuel by plugging in at home.
    llama
  • Reply 29 of 99
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

MplsP said:

Any vendor who comes up with a battery break thrue will know that its extremely valuable and probably charge Apple a ton for it. Tesla is increasing the energy storage and power with its 4680 battery and will also be reducing the cost. by 2024 they will be selling 2-3 million cars annually. Apple will have to beat them on range and price. It's going to be very competitive by then. Supposedly Toyota will be announcing a break through in Solid State batteries next year. QuantumScape has said they have a solution for Solid State battery manufacturing. I'm a skeptic that Apple will make a real breakthrough other than using Cheap Chinese manufacturing.
  • Reply 30 of 99
    Something doesn’t smell right: 2024 seems like too fuzzy and far away as a target in this rapidly-evolving industry.

My take that this is fake news.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 31 of 99
    tmay said:
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

MplsP said:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Toyota-s-game-changing-solid-state-battery-en-route-for-2021-debut

"TOKYO -- A trip of 500 km on one charge. A recharge from zero to full in 10 minutes. All with minimal safety concerns. The solid-state battery being introduced by Toyota promises to be a game changer not just for electric vehicles but for an entire industry.

The technology is a potential cure-all for the drawbacks facing electric vehicles that run on conventional lithium-ion batteries, including the relatively short distance traveled on a single charge as well as charging times. Toyota plans to be the first company to sell an electric vehicle equipped with a solid-state battery in the early 2020s. The world's largest automaker will unveil a prototype next year.

The electric vehicles being developed by Toyota will have a range more than twice the distance of a vehicle running on a conventional lithium-ion battery under the same conditions. All accomplished without sacrificing interior space in even the most compact vehicle.

Solid-state batteries are expected to become a viable alternative to lithium-ion batteries that use aqueous electrolyte solutions. The innovation would lower the risk of fires, and multiply energy density, which measures the energy a battery can deliver compared to its weight."

Toyota, VW, et al, are all going to solid state batteries over the next few years, and it isn't hard to predict that Apple would want to incorporate those into whatever it decides to produce. Apple has the checkbook to buy what they need, and doesn't need to develop its own solid state battery technology, though they likely will end up getting a custom tweak of same.

There's a shit ton of EV's on the road, especially Tesla's, that are recognized fire hazards. Solid State batteries make those all obsolete.

What do you mean "especially Teslas" Tesla makes the safest cars on the road by a mile.

There are close to a million Tesla Model 3s and Model Ys on the road, there has been a grand total of 1 fire.

There have been small number of fires in S/X, which use an older type of battery (That might be changing in a couple of weeks when they refresh them). But even there, the fires are less common that gasoline powered cars. Its just anything Tesla related gets headlines. 

From Tesla's vehicle safety report page "From 2012 – 2019, there has been approximately one Tesla vehicle fire for every 175 million miles traveled. By comparison, data from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and U.S. Department of Transportation shows that in the United States there is a vehicle fire for every 19 million miles traveled."

From the same page "
    In the 3rd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.59 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.42 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.79 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles."

https://www.tesla.com/VehicleSafetyReport

Also, I'll believe it when I see it with Toyota. Same company has repeatedly come out against EVs and invests a lot of time and effort into hydrogen cars where the hydrogen comes from natural gas.
    edited December 2020 anantksundaramllamaroundaboutnowiqatedo
  • Reply 32 of 99
    tmay said:
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

MplsP said:

And a tank full of gasoline isn’t a fire hazard? Compare the number of internal combustion fires with the number of EV fires then get back to us. All EVs on the road today use Li batteries, so they are the same fire risk as your laptop or iPhone, although the battery is a bit bigger. 

Fundamentally, any vehicle needs to have a large amount of energy stored in a small space. That can be in the form of gasoline, a battery, or hydrogen. If that energy is released in an uncontrolled fashion you have a problem. Stable, dense energy storage with efficient charging and discharging is what every battery Maker is trying to achieve. 

Gasoline is a very efficient way to transport energy. You can pump enough energy to drive 400+ miles in about 5 minutes. When people talk about ultra fast charging batteries, the sheer physics become problematic. As an example, Teslas currently have batteries on the order of 75kWh. To charge fully using a 240V charger at 40 amps (9.6 kW) takes 8 hours. To increase the rate you can either increase the voltage, the current, or both. Charging that battery in 10 min would require something on the order of 450 kW (e.g. 225 amps at 2000 volts) 
    edited December 2020 muthuk_vanalingamanantksundaramroundaboutnowSpamSandwich
  • Reply 33 of 99
    flydog said:
    Why not an Apple Bicycle instead of a car to encourage bike riding instead of driving all the time? And a lot more people could afford an Apple Bike instead of the ultra rich few who will have to pay $50,000 to $100,000 a copy. 
    How would Apple selling a bike instead of car encourage anyone to ride to work instead of drive? Is that in a parallel universe where Apple is the only company that makes bikes and cars?
    How about that strange and mystical parallel universe that is Europe? You know, where millions are already using their bikes for going to work. 
  • Reply 34 of 99
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    svanstrom said:
    flydog said:
    How would Apple selling a bike instead of car encourage anyone to ride to work instead of drive? Is that in a parallel universe where Apple is the only company that makes bikes and cars?
    How about that strange and mystical parallel universe that is Europe? You know, where millions are already using their bikes for going to work. 
    Yes! And to study. I still remember a Spanish ex girlfriend cycling to the university 30 years ago - at 10ºC below zero (she was studying in Germany).

I'm sure some EU cities might even have more city centre cycling traffic than car traffic. Copenhagen comes to mind.

Barcelona has had its cycling network for years now. Register, pick up and drop off your bike at bike stations all over the city.

EDIT:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/nov/30/cycling-revolution-bikes-outnumber-cars-first-time-copenhagen-denmark
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 35 of 99
    k2kw said:
    Any vendor who comes up with a battery break thrue will know that its extremely valuable and probably charge Apple a ton for it. Tesla is increasing the energy storage and power with its 4680 battery and will also be reducing the cost. by 2024 they will be selling 2-3 million cars annually. Apple will have to beat them on range and price. It's going to be very competitive by then. Supposedly Toyota will be announcing a break through in Solid State batteries next year. QuantumScape has said they have a solution for Solid State battery manufacturing. I'm a skeptic that Apple will make a real breakthrough other than using Cheap Chinese manufacturing.
    If Apple is serious about getting into the Car Making BIZ then they'll probably do like most others, get them made in China.
    Apparently the Tesla's that are made in China are of much higher quality than the ones from Fremont.
    Battiery production is much like CPU making. It costs an arm and a leg to make them in volume and with high yields. Apple has the money to do it but somehow, I think that they'll subcontract it all out to others. I'd love to be wrong though.

• Reply 36 of 99
    So when we can expect iHouse :smiley: ?
    tobian
  • Reply 37 of 99
    MplsP said:
    tmay said:
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

MplsP said:

And a tank full of gasoline isn’t a fire hazard? 
    Not the way it appears in the movies. Gasoline is actually pretty stable, especially considering how much energy is locked in there. A lithium ion battery, just under normal use conditions, can burst into flames. Carry a beaker of gas around with you — I guarantee it will not just catch on fire. You have to work at it to get it to burn. Just ask anybody who has had a hard time starting their car. It’s a darned shame about the adverse climate effects of co2 emissions, because otherwise hydrocarbons are amazing. 

But anyway, I agree solid state batteries sound awesome. From what I read, anybody selling a car with a solid state battery will be way shed f everyone else. Of course, sometimes things I read turn out to be wrong. 
    tmay
  • Reply 38 of 99
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Just do it. There is no going back on EV car so if Apple is going forward with better EV tech(fast charge, distance and lighter weight battery) than more power to them. I will wait and buy Apple EV car.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    tmay said:
    blastdoor said:
    avon b7 said:
    flydog said:

MplsP said:

Sodium is being worked on as a replacement for lithium as well. 

• Reply 40 of 99
    Seems to me that you work with what you have and switch over when something better comes along. If we’re talking about launching a product in about four year, it’s reasonable to surmise that if a superior technology comes along in time, Apple can easily switch over to said technology. The thing is, you can’t conjure up an entire vehicle on a moment’s notice in response to a battery technology emerging to make for a viable product. As such you need to do the heavy lifting of proceeding with a design as if the necessary battery tech is good to go. 

It could be that Apple is satisfied that even with currently available battery tech it can develop a viable product and there is only gain to be had from future developments. The major drawback to EVs as of now are not enough range and too much initial outlay. It’s getting better but the sweet spot, so to speak, would be a product costing not much more than a comparable internal combustion engine product yet sporting a range similar to a tankful of gas. In other words, if a comparable ICE product cost let’s say $39,000 with a tankful range of 500 miles (800 kilometres), the EV would need to cost around $44,000 and match the 500-mile range. Lower fuel and maintenance costs over the life of the car would more than offset the initial $5,000 extra cost of purchase. Concerns regarding the use of Lithium are overdone in so much as it’s highly likely that using lithium is a stopgap measure. It might even be obsolete by the time Apple’s product comes to market. 
    muthuk_vanalingam