Do I smell a special event on April 28th? CONFIRMED!

Comments

• Reply 21 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

NAB press conference already announced by Apple two weeks ago. It's been discussed on this forum. It's about SOFTWARE solutions in the video realm. Nothing about Apple hardware will be announced. Old news.

Sorry for bursting your bubble.
  • Reply 22 of 252
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Didn't Apple say they would have machines that run MacOS 9 until June? Isn't the 15" Powerbook the last Powerbook to run MacOS 9? My guess is that the 15" Powerbook will not be updated until June.

Which just happens to be when WWDC is.

The 17" might also be updated at the same time as the 15", since the 15" is likely to be speed-bumped. You don't want a 17" Powerbook that is slower than the 15".
  • Reply 23 of 252
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

There is no chance that the first ppc 970 appear in a powerbooK. It will be a marketing disaster. After this release nobody will buy anymore any powermac : everypeople will wait for the new powermac line.

that's only if you assume that the G3 and G4's time will have come... which i don't i still think, as painful as it may be to hear, that the 970 will be in a new breed of workstations, priced really high for consumers, but pretty cheap for pro video people wo are used to stations costing over US$100K. plus, from the ThinkSecret article today, the G3 will still be around for at least a few more months in the iBook. the G4 single processor can be the other consumer-oriented models, the dual-G4s would be the pro layout and prosumer video rigs, and the xserves, xraids, xclusters, and this new "breed" i am referring to would be the high-high-end scientific and video arena.

i'm not saying that's a winning formula, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it soon.
  • Reply 24 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

For whom?

For me.. And her.. And her family/friends...?
  • Reply 25 of 252
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I think also that the release of the new powerbook will come soon, but unlike people here , i think that if there is a new chip it will be the 7457 and not the ppc 970.

There is no chance that the first ppc 970 appear in a powerbooK. It will be a marketing disaster. After this release nobody will buy anymore any powermac : everypeople will wait for the new powermac line.

In the contrary a powerbook with a 1V ppc 7457 will be a logical step, in the evolution of the powerbook line. More power, less heat, no major redesighing of the mobo.

Unless my information is wrong, the 7457 is NOT shipping until Q4 03, so Im sorry but you are wrong about the 7457.

Although I would put a few dollars on the next 15" being G4, not the 970. I assume the 970 PMacs would be released @ WWDC, to show off Panther, 64bit computing OS and the hardware as well.

Im betting the next PB's will be 970's, just not in June - my bet September.

Oh and BTW, the 7457 may make it into new iBooks around MWSF 04. Unless in the unlikely event IBM can ship its G4 equivalent 850 chip by then, (but the chip has not been announced, so its unlikely to go into volume production until Q2 04)

For what its worth
  • Reply 26 of 252
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    How about the whole pro line going 970 anounced in June?

Why the hell not? How do you keep the 12 and 17" PB at G4 with 970 in the 15 incher? Or a laptop more powerful than the Power Mac? How?

By bringing thw whole mess to 970 clean. Ah, a clean break from Moto-friggin-hell, that's how!

Here's hoping anyway.
  • Reply 27 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rhumgod

How about the whole pro line going 970 anounced in June?

Why the hell not? How do you keep the 12 and 17" PB at G4 with 970 in the 15 incher? Or a laptop more powerful than the Power Mac? How?

By bringing thw whole mess to 970 clean. Ah, a clean break from Moto-friggin-hell, that's how!

Here's hoping anyway.

I think Apple is going to do that exactly. They will announce the 970 straight across the Pro line in June. Lets hope.
  • Reply 28 of 252
    g::mastag::masta Posts: 121member
    from looprumours:

Quote:

Rumors of a new Apple Music Service have been surfacing throughout the rumor mill. Today we received confirmation from someone close to EMI that Apple will be releasing the new music service within the next three (3) weeks.

Here's what we know:

There will be several service providers will such as EMI, Universal Music Group, Warner Music and BMG.

The service will provides digital data (music) to customers through the internet, and onto Apples proprietary client.

The service will be run and maintained by Apple Computer in the US.

Service providers have an obligation to provide all new releases and many older tracks.

Apples proprietary client will play a major part in the service allowing customers to browse, listen and buy music.

bring it on baby, bring it on!
  • Reply 29 of 252
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    ThinkSecret reports a similiar release date for the iPods. Interesting...we should know about the event (if there's going to be one), around Friday, April 19th....
  • Reply 30 of 252
    Well April 19th is just around the corner. I'm all excited about possible new music service. I'm guessing songs will be available for about 60 cents.
  • Reply 31 of 252
  • Reply 32 of 252
    No... it can't be 99 cents. Say, if a typical CD costs 15 USD, and you'll buy 14 songs off the disc for 99 cents each, then you might a well buy the CD at a store and you get nice packaging with it. It has to be something like 60 cents per song, or 6.99 USD for a whole CD.
  • Reply 33 of 252
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Good Friday would be a weird date to announce all this stuff on.... easter weekend? im betting on the 28th/29th..... seems more right to me.
  • Reply 34 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

No... it can't be 99 cents. Say, if a typical CD costs 15 USD, and you'll buy 14 songs off the disc for 99 cents each, then you might a well buy the CD at a store and you get nice packaging with it. It has to be something like 60 cents per song, or 6.99 USD for a whole CD.

Your forgetting the Apple factor
  • Reply 35 of 252
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    ... and that the service is about buying songs, not albums. If you want the album, go buy the album. You'll get everything and rippable. If you want five songs, it's gonna be about five dollars, which is perfectly okay.
  • Reply 36 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Good Friday would be a weird date to announce all this stuff on.... easter weekend? im betting on the 28th/29th..... seems more right to me.

I was saying around the 19th or maybe even next Monday is when they'd announce a SPECIAL EVENT for the 28th/29th when they'd announce all the new stuff.
  • Reply 37 of 252
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Well it doesn't look like Quark Express 6 is going to be ready by June, so won't Apple keep OS 9 machines available until itis released?
  • Reply 38 of 252
    Well then, that's Quark's fault. They have had more than ample time to get an OS X-native application out the door. OS X has been out since March of 2001. It's now April 2003. Two years is more than a sufficient amount of time to get their software ported to run on OS X. Screw 'em.
  • Reply 39 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Well then, that's Quark's fault. They have had more than ample time to get an OS X-native application out the door. OS X has been out since March of 2001. It's now April 2003. Two years is more than a sufficient amount of time to get their software ported to run on OS X. Screw 'em.

I am in agreeance (sp?) with you on this. Quark has had plenty of time to get their software ready for X. If they haven't done so by now, then it is their fault, and one company should not stop Apple from moving forward with their company and their product.
  • Reply 40 of 252
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

It'd be a steal for classical music-listening folks: imagine getting, say, a Furtwangler performance of a Beethoven symphony for only $4. That's Naxos label territory! (Granted, many classical music listeners would want CD-quality sound, not lossy MP3 or MPEG4; however, some classic performances are hard to come by these days...)

EDIT: Spelling