A little riddle

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Its about the leader of that part of the Iraqi army that gassed the kurds in the northern part of Iraq in the late 80s on the order from Saddam. Saddam later gets angry on him and he flees to Denmark and seek asylum. He is denied because of the allegations against him but is allowed to stay here since no officially charges is pressed against him. He can´t go back to Iraq or another country so he stay here. Human rights organizations are collection evidence against him for attack on own population.

What should be done with him?

1: We should allow him to stay here?

2: Send him back to Iraq despite he will lose his life?

3: Help in the investigation and let put him in front of an international tribunal?

4: Something fourth?

Perhaps in a couple of weeks we get a surprising answer to that question so stay tuned... But try answer the question.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Put him in jail (where he belongs) until a proper trial is set up.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Easy. Put a cap in the back of his head. End of story.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Put a cap on his head?

So what if his head is warm?!?!?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Thanks to the power of vB search function I have found a long lost thread I have wanted to "reactivate".

In the light of the development since I started this thread I would like to hear what you think this time. I would especially like to know if anyone would suggest the realistic fourth solution. Don´t be shy. You know what I am talking about. Or do anyone want to deny that "solution" could ever be possible?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I think out of the ashes of Iraq, a Kurdish state should be formed. They deserve it IMO. Send this guy there for a well deserved trial.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I think out of the ashes of Iraq, a Kurdish state should be formed. They deserve it IMO. Send this guy there for a well deserved trial.

Agree in all points.

But we have a real problem with Turkey (actually a huge problem, since they are member of NATO). At least they are not on their way into EU any time soon.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Don´t be shy. You know what I am talking about. Or do anyone want to deny that "solution" could ever be possible?

Actually... I don't know what you are talking about....

What solution?
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

Agree in all points.

But we have a real problem with Turkey (actually a huge problem, since they are member of NATO). At least they are not on their way into EU any time soon.

We'll if they really have their heart set on being part of the EU then let the US and EU exert some pressure on them. Politics is the name of the game. For exchange with living alongside a Kurdish country, they will be admitted to the EU and behave like a responsible member and receive a healthy aide package from the US/UN. What choice do they have then? I would worry about Iran more.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Actually... I don't know what you are talking about....

What solution?

That he becomes a central figure in post war Iraq.

Here is a old cnn article about him:Here

The reason I started the thread a year ago was because there was a lot of talk about ex-generals trying to form a iraqi government in absendia that gained moderate support from US. I expected him to be handed to US to paly a key role in that.

Well that didn´t happen then a year back but yesterday something different happened...
  • Reply 10 of 28
    (A linky more about the general)

This is what happened yesterday.

And FYI since the article two new bits of info have surfaced:

1) The last couple of days before he "disappeared" when the police checked up on him he was "taking a nap" according to his wife asking the officers not to disturb him in his bedroom.

2) When one paper asked other central exile-generals if they knew anything about his whereabouts they said they know where he is and if anyone wants to know anything further they could ask the danish government or "its big brother on the other side of the water" (I don´t think they meant Sweden or GB).
  • Reply 11 of 28
    Actually, what I would think should be done(of course this wouldn't be,but many people think I am twisted)

would be get all the info we can from him, then give him over to the Kurds.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Definately jailed and put in front of International tribunal!!
  • Reply 13 of 28
    So noone can imagine a senario where they would accept him as a key person in post war Iraq?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

So noone can imagine a senario where they would accept him as a key person in post war Iraq?

Do you imply that only war criminal are able to govern Iraq ?

Put this man in front of an international tribunal : he will have a fair trial, somthing he never gave to none of the kurd he gasses.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    nah. If he killed lots of Kurds then...seems obvious that no he shouldn't be put in such a powerful position.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    bump because this is importent.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Option3 sounds the most logical. Maybe give him a reduced sentence if he is cooperative.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

I think out of the ashes of Iraq, a Kurdish state should be formed. They deserve it IMO.

Who exactly decides which nation deserves what?! Your Generosity hath given one nation its land. By taking it from another. Great!
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Who exactly decides which nation deserves what?! Your Generosity hath given one nation its land. By taking it from another. Great!

Well Iraq was formed by the british causing this mess to begin with. Either way, my answer was a simplistic suggestion because it would not be taken seriously anyway. The Kurds have a lot of control of Northern Iraq. What would be the downsides in allowing them to create for themselves a sovereign nation (with out getting into the imperialism of America)?
  • Reply 20 of 28
    First let me say I´m glad that everybody seems to agree that he shouldn´t have anything to do in future Iraq (beside whatever he can do from the inside of a prison).

So isn´t it sad that not only this happened but also that it was possible for me to predict this development a year ago?

Anyone wants to defend the actions of the "coalition" on this one?