Apple Car could bolster services but low margins limit upside, analyst says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    joefrank said:
    and what is someone supposed to do in a self driving car, sit and watch? The only utility I see is if you are drunk out of your head, but then again unless someone tells you so you are going to want to drive anyway, sad but true. 

I don't know about you, but would not mind sleeping if the self-driving runs to perfection. Pre-covid, my commute going to work was 1 hour going in and 1 1/2 hours coming back home (Washington DC, 2nd worse traffic in the nation). A nap would be very nice...……...and I'm sure frisky people will do the other meaning for "sleeping"
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 22 of 32
    joefrank said:
    and what is someone supposed to do in a self driving car, sit and watch? The only utility I see is if you are drunk out of your head, but then again unless someone tells you so you are going to want to drive anyway, sad but true. 

I don't know about you, but would not mind sleeping if the self-driving runs to perfection. Pre-covid, my commute going to work was 1 hour going in and 1 1/2 hours coming back home (Washington DC, 2nd worse traffic in the nation). A nap would be very nice...……...and I'm sure frisky people will do the other meaning for "sleeping"
    Those are just a few reasons why autonomous “loaner cars” are a bad idea. With no human driver to keep those with terrible decision making skills in check, these cars would quickly become sewers on wheels.
    MplsP
  • Reply 23 of 32
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

MplsP said:
    Bombdoe said:
    Lots of chatter about an Apple Car from different sources - someone has said something.
    All this for something that no one is really sure exists
    You'd have to be an abject moron if you think this project doesn't exist based on all the evidence we have seen. Like lists of actual humans with automotive jobs working there. How many patents at this point covering every aspect of an automotive system. Etc. 
    You'd also have to be an abject moron to rely on rumors to arrive at a conclusion one way or the other.  So congrats, mission accomplished. 

And no, the fact that "actualy humans with automotive jobs work[] there" does not mean Apple will be manufacturing a car.  There are also people working at Apple whose sole job is display engineering, but Apple does not sell TVs.  There are a myriad of automotive products within a car that these people could be working on. 

MplsP
  • Reply 24 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    joefrank said:

The Google and FaceBook cars will encourage your mindset and have cameras so as to gather saleable material. ;)
  • Reply 25 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    flydog said:

MplsP said:
    Bombdoe said:
    Lots of chatter about an Apple Car from different sources - someone has said something.
    You'd have to be an abject moron if you think this project doesn't exist based on all the evidence we have seen. Like lists of actual humans with automotive jobs working there. How many patents at this point covering every aspect of an automotive system. Etc. 
    You'd also have to be an abject moron to rely on rumors to arrive at a conclusion one way or the other.  So congrats, mission accomplished. 

And no, the fact that "actualy humans with automotive jobs work[] there" does not mean Apple will be manufacturing a car.  There are also people working at Apple whose sole job is display engineering, but Apple does not sell TVs.  There are a myriad of automotive products within a car that these people could be working on. 

I must be missing something in your analogy there.  So iMacs and Apple Monitors don't require display engineering?
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 26 of 32
    MacPro said:
    I totally understand all the doubters, Sachs included.  After all, Apple has never entered a mature market they had no experience in and completely annihilated all existing companies, say... like selling software, music,  phones, tablets, earbuds, watches, or CPUs and GPUs.  What are we thinking to believe Apple could turn the automotive industry upside down?  How could they possibly afford the billions it would take?  Come on guys get real ;)
    EVs & self-driving cars are not a mature market, they're both still in their infancy. Petrol cars are a mature market, but Apple is having none of that.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member

eriamjh said:
    I don’t believe the Apple Car rumors at all.   It makes no sense.   It costs $10-15 billion to launch a car company.   

Apple must be planning something different.  Something we haven’t thought of as of yet.  That’s how they do.
    Are you completely oblivious to Apple's current cash pile? They literally can't spend their money fast enough to keep it down.
    And are you completely oblivious to how fast they could burn through cash with a failed auto venture? Never mind, I guess you are.

No one saying Apple isn't going to get into the car business, just that it's far from a given and all we have are rumors. But hey, what's not to believe, right? Lord knows there haven’t been any other rumors that have been wrong...
    edited December 2020
  • Reply 28 of 32
    razorpit said:
    eriamjh said:
    I don’t believe the Apple Car rumors at all.   It makes no sense.   It costs $10-15 billion to launch a car company.   

Apple must be planning something different.  Something we haven’t thought of as of yet.  That’s how they do.
    You do realize they spent $3 billion on a company that made headphones. You're talking about money they have in between their couch cushions. (Yes, it's a big couch.)

I think it’s the IP and the talent that they are after the Beats
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Kuyangkoh said:
    razorpit said:
    eriamjh said:

You do realize they spent $3 billion on a company that made headphones. You're talking about money they have in between their couch cushions. (Yes, it's a big couch.)

I think it’s the IP and the talent that they are after the Beats
    Yup, talent and/or IP is what they’re chasing in all their acquisitions. 
  • Reply 30 of 32
    flydog said:

MplsP said:
    Bombdoe said:

Pretty sure they didn’t acquire drive.ai for improving iPhones. Fun fact, drive.ai were doing full self driving in the rain at night 3 years ago. Wonder how far it’s come since being worked on with Apples resources 
  • Reply 31 of 32
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    flydog said:

MplsP said:
    Bombdoe said:

Pretty sure they didn’t acquire drive.ai for improving iPhones. Fun fact, drive.ai were doing full self driving in the rain at night 3 years ago. Wonder how far it’s come since being worked on with Apples resources 
    One of the thing that makes me think apple's plans and/or progress is not what we think it is is we haven't seen testing of an apple car to speak of. There were some sightings of a Lexus outfitted with extra sensors a few years ago, but I haven't seen anything else. If Apple was planning on releasing their own car in 2023, they should have prototypes driving already. As many have pointed out, they may be working on the software and AI to license to car makers rather than developing the car themselves, or have an partnership with another manufacturer.

Either way I think 2023 is not realistic
  • Reply 32 of 32
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    MplsP said:
    flydog said:

MplsP said:
    Bombdoe said:

One of the thing that makes me think apple's plans and/or progress is not what we think it is is we haven't seen testing of an apple car to speak of. There were some sightings of a Lexus outfitted with extra sensors a few years ago, but I haven't seen anything else. If Apple was planning on releasing their own car in 2023, they should have prototypes driving already. As many have pointed out, they may be working on the software and AI to license to car makers rather than developing the car themselves, or have an partnership with another manufacturer.

Either way I think 2023 is not realistic
    I don't think that 2023 is realistic either, but automobile companies generally use "mules" for most of the early testing, so I wouldn't worry about not seeing an "Apple" car in the wild.