First third-party AirPods Max travel case arrives from WaterField Designs

Posted:
in General Discussion
After less than two weeks on the market, AirPods Max got its first third-party accessory on Friday with the announcement of a WaterField Designs product designed to replace Apple's much maligned Smart Case.

WaterField Designs AirPods Max Shield Case
WaterField Designs AirPods Max Shield Case

WaterField Designs' AirPods Max Shield Case is a leather clamshell that encapsulates the entire set of headphones, not just the ear cups. It has a leather exterior, a foam core, and a plush interior to cradle your headphones.

There is an exterior waterproof zipper to carry bundled accessories, such as a charging cable. On the inside, a stretch mesh pocket with a leather pull tab takes full advantage of the negative space under AirPod Max's headband and is perfect for storing a power brick.

Interestingly, the case works with or without Apple's own Smart Case. If you choose to go without Apple's case, you can slide the AirPods Max in on their own. A set of magnetic "butterfly wings" fits right between the two ear cups, preventing them from hitting one another during travel. Like Apple's Smart Case, the wings put the headphone into an ultra-low power state to conserve battery.

If you prefer to take Apple's case along for the ride, the magnetic butterfly wings fold flat so they are out of the way so your AirPods Max with Smart Case can slide right in.

You can charge your headphones in the case by plugging in the cable and bringing down the dual zippers -- one from each side -- to huge the cable in the center.

The back of the case is an extra-large stretch mesh pocket for any additional accessories you still have left to tote.

WaterField Designs' new AirPods Max Shield Case is available to order now for $99. The first production run ships Dec. 31. They come in waxed canvas and brown chocolate leather or ballistic nylon and black, blue, or crimson leather.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    ID0ID0 Posts: 15member
    What an ugly thing.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    ID0 said:
    What an ugly thing.
    What did you expect a case to look like? 

I think it's fine, and has some thoughtful little features, though it's a shame it's only available in leather.
    Graeme000davencitylightsappleCloudTalkinMplsProundaboutnow
  • Reply 3 of 39
    A bit… wonky.

The functional design is quite good, though; so I hope these will be the bar when other make (vegan) copies.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    I like it more than Apple's case, but that's not saying much.

What I didn't notice being listed is whether being in that case will put the headphones into an ultra-low power state the way Apple's case does.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Xed said:

What I didn't notice being listed is whether being in that case will put the headphones into an ultra-low power state the way Apple's case does.
    It's explicitly called out in both the video and in the article.
    Like Apple's Smart Case, the wings put the headphone into an ultra-low power state to conserve battery. 

citylightsappleireland
  • Reply 6 of 39
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    ID0 said:
    What an ugly thing.
    Let's see your idea of a good design.
    irelandroundaboutnowcitylightsapple
  • Reply 7 of 39
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    crowley said:
    Xed said:

It's explicitly called out in both the video and in the article.
    Like Apple's Smart Case, the wings put the headphone into an ultra-low power state to conserve battery. 
    Thanks. 👍 I skimmed the article and didn't see it and must've mistyped something when I did a keyword search. 
    ireland
  • Reply 8 of 39
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    Looks nice. I would buy this. Love that it's real leather.
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 39
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    mike1 said:
    Which would make the $549 headphones $648. Ouch. 
    dewme
  • Reply 10 of 39
    The only individuals who are maligning Apple’s case are techie man-children, who are offended that the case looks “gay”, only they cannot bring themselves to say that word at all. And they all want to insist that their personal revulsion must be universal. I have never seen any guy carrying his expensive headphones in their cases in public: they’re either wearing them on the head or around the neck, and then they’re on the desk in prominent view while filming useless 4K unboxing videos. It’s also instructive that no one is balking at the $99 price tag, but perhaps there is no price too high to protect fragile manhood.
    bageljoeyurdamanwatto_cobraBeatsjony0
  • Reply 11 of 39
    The only individuals who are maligning Apple’s case are techie man-children, who are offended that the case looks “gay”, only they cannot bring themselves to say that word at all. And they all want to insist that their personal revulsion must be universal. I have never seen any guy carrying his expensive headphones in their cases in public: they’re either wearing them on the head or around the neck, and then they’re on the desk in prominent view while filming useless 4K unboxing videos. It’s also instructive that no one is balking at the $99 price tag, but perhaps there is no price too high to protect fragile manhood.
    Toxic masculinity definitely exists, but you can also swing so far away that you hit toxic anti-masculinity.
    avon b7CloudTalkinirelandurdamandewmeMplsPentropysglennhcitylightsapplechemengin1
  • Reply 12 of 39
    I actually like the look of the brown case. Ordered one. It will get here a month before my AirPods Max will. I also like the fact that it has a space for cables. I've always liked Waterfield bags. They are very well made. I have a large iPod pouch / bag that I am still using, so I look forward to this one.
    gregoriusmirelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Or maybe they’ve just owned enough Apple products made of that material to know that it looks like total shit after only a few months of use?

I should know that, as own an iPad 3 with a very much “gay-looking” pastel-blue smart cover, and it was never its colour (which, mind you, it shares with the knockoff I’m now using) that bothered me (again, I’m as cishet, and supposedly heteronormative, as they get, but I don’t give a flying fsck about what people think of my colour preferences and if those aren’t deemed “heteronormative” enough by their standards, offend their delicate conservative snowflake sensibilities or otherwise give them a different impression, that’s not my problem and I couldn’t care less either way), but the fact that it got dirty af and pretty much self-destructed even while having been used mostly indoors.

That is something most people, save for some crust punks or otherwise sloppy individuals, would be ashamed of carrying around regardless of their sexuality, I can assure you. And sure, maybe us Apple users could regularly wipe that crappy polymer down with IPA and whatnot, but seriously, couldn’t Apple just switch materials already? They nailed polycarbonate, aluminium and even those Apple Watch straps, but they still haven’t figured out something more durable and washable than that pressed-on microfibre+plastic+leaf-thin matte elastomer sandwich bs.

That a $500+ piece of kit comes with a case that not only WILL suffer that fate, but also doesn’t even provide full protection when it’s brand new and in one piece is just egregious, IMHO. Either go big, or go bust.
    edited December 2020 XeddewmeMplsP
  • Reply 14 of 39
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I have several Waterfield products and they’re all very well made. 
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 39
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    What does that make the travel weight, a couple pounds?
  • Reply 16 of 39
    ID0ID0 Posts: 15member
    daven said:
    ID0 said:
    What an ugly thing.
    Did you ever saw some Italian purses, valets or similar articles?
    For this kind of product a designer at an Italian manufacture would be get a 5 minute short notice. But seems that for most Americans it's handsome...

edited December 2020
  • Reply 17 of 39
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    mainyehc said:
    Or maybe they’ve just owned enough Apple products made of that material to know that it looks like total shit after only a few months of use?

I should know that, as own an iPad 3 with a very much “gay-looking” pastel-blue smart cover, and it was never its colour (which, mind you, it shares with the knockoff I’m now using) that bothered me (again, I’m as cishet, and supposedly heteronormative, as they get, but I don’t give a flying fsck about what people think of my colour preferences and if those aren’t deemed “heteronormative” enough by their standards, offend their delicate conservative snowflake sensibilities or otherwise give them a different impression, that’s not my problem and I couldn’t care less either way), but the fact that it got dirty af and pretty much self-destructed even while having been used mostly indoors.

That is something most people, save for some crust punks or otherwise sloppy individuals, would be ashamed of carrying around regardless of their sexuality, I can assure you. And sure, maybe us Apple users could regularly wipe that crappy polymer down with IPA and whatnot, but seriously, couldn’t Apple just switch materials already? They nailed polycarbonate, aluminium and even those Apple Watch straps, but they still haven’t figured out something more durable and washable than that pressed-on microfibre+plastic+leaf-thin matte elastomer sandwich bs.

That a $500+ piece of kit comes with a case that not only WILL suffer that fate, but also doesn’t even provide full protection when it’s brand new and in one piece is just egregious, IMHO. Either go big, or go bust.
    I had the same cover, color and all, for an old mini I used to have. And mine looked exactly the same as your picture, lol. 
    ireland
  • Reply 18 of 39
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    tenchi211 said:
    I actually like the look of the brown case. Ordered one. It will get here a month before my AirPods Max will. I also like the fact that it has a space for cables. I've always liked Waterfield bags. They are very well made. I have a large iPod pouch / bag that I am still using, so I look forward to this one.
    Fully agree about Waterfield bags. Beautifully hand crafted using  top quality materials. They’ve never disappointed.
    irelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 39
    daven said:
    ID0 said:
    What an ugly thing.
    I agree, this is really an ugly thing, I wouldn’t insult my AirPod Max by putting them in this smelly coffin...
    Beats
  • Reply 20 of 39
    hentaiboy said:
    mike1 said:
    Which would make the $549 headphones $648. Ouch. 
    A little over $700 for CA residents including sales tax... Double ouch.