After mocking Apple, Xiaomi also omits charger from upcoming Mi 11 flagship

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2020
After openly mocking Apple for omitting the requisite charger from the box of the new iPhone 12 line, Xiaomi's CEO has confirmed that the company will also drop the charger from the upcoming Mi 11 smartphone.

The new Xiaomi Mi 11 won't include a charger
The new Xiaomi Mi 11 won't include a charger

Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun confirmed on the Chinese social media site Weibo and first spotted by The Verge, that the electronics company would be ditching the bundled power brick in the Mi 11 citing environmental concerns. Jun goes on to say that users already have a surplus of chargers and that the charger would be "canceled" for the Mi 11 device.

Jun's remarks on Weibo
Jun's remarks on Weibo

It comes only weeks after Xiaomi derided Apple for the same act. Not long after Apple launched the iPhone 12 line, Xiaomi tweeted that it "didn't leave anything out of the box" in regard to its own Mi 10T.

Xiaomi isn't alone in taunting Apple in this matter, then reversing course. Samsung too touted its in-box charger on social media before removing the offending post and back-peddling to not include a charger on the S21.

The Xiaomi Mi 11 is set to be announced at a press event on Monday, December 28.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Is that Google Translate's rendition of Jun's remarks, or did Xiaomi put that up in Engliush?
    anantksundaramwatto_cobracornchippulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is so f**king hilarious! And to think many losers here claim Apple is an industry follower, not an industry leader. These Asian iKnockoff manufacturers are a joke.
    citylightsappletmayanantksundarammagman1979watto_cobrawilliamlondoncornchipBeatspulseimagesjahblade
  • Reply 3 of 62
    Andrew_OSUAndrew_OSU Posts: 573member, editor
    crowley said:
    Is that Google Translate's rendition of Jun's remarks, or did Xiaomi put that up in Engliush?
    That was using Apple’s iOS 14 in-browser translation feature
    watto_cobran2itivguycornchip
  • Reply 4 of 62
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    Every. Single. Time.
    lordjohnwhorfinanantksundarammagman1979watto_cobrasvanstromn2itivguycornchipBeatsjahbladejony0
  • Reply 5 of 62
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If Xiaomi customers complains about omitting charger than blame on Apple. We follow Apple so if Apple did it, so we have do. Same goes for Samsung.
    lkruppanantksundaramjahblade
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Xiaomi the who??
    lordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobraNotoriousDEVpulseimages
  • Reply 7 of 62
    "...brand-new packaging, so light and thin..." 
    Take that, Apple!  :D
    edited December 2020 JonyArhendtsanantksundaramwatto_cobraBeatsjahblade
  • Reply 8 of 62
    With sales strong across all four models of iPhone 12, it is clear to the competition that omitting the charging brick doesn’t cause a problem with customers (who may gripe, but still lay down their cash for the new phone). Ultimately, enough people have realized they have more charging bricks in their dwelling than devices to connect them to. They may not have a surplus of 15w—30w chargers, but the point is still made. All these abandoned and forgotten bricks will be a problem in some landfill, somewhere. Apple did the right thing, and after mocking the effort, it is still nice to see Samsung and Xiaomi also doing the right thing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 62
    It's a win for the environment.

Now if these brands might copy some of Apple's other green-initiatives that'd be great. (Not just the ones that happen to reduce the cost of the manufacture.)
    baconstangmagman1979watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Looking in my tech junk drawer I’m staring at 5 5W chargers, 1 18W charger, 1 12W charger, at least a dozen USB-A to Lightning cables, a couple of USB-c to Lightning cables and assorted USB-Mini and USB-Micro cables for various gadgets I own. So NO, I don’t need a charger included with my iPhone.
    magman1979mark fearingwatto_cobrawilliamlondonFidonet127hexclockn2itivguyjahbladejony0
  • Reply 11 of 62
    It's nice to see a company that takes copying Apple to heart...
    anantksundaramwatto_cobraBeatsjony0
  • Reply 12 of 62
    ROTFLMMFAO!!!

Seriously, if Apple went under, these thieving Chinese bastard companies would likely start failing and go under shortly thereafter cause they’d lose their main R&D department!
    watto_cobrawilliamlondonNotoriousDEVcornchiprazorpitBeatsjony0
  • Reply 13 of 62
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    ROTFLMMFAO!!!

Seriously, if Apple went under, these thieving Chinese bastard companies would likely start failing and go under shortly thereafter cause they’d lose their main R&D department!
     Not necessarily. Just think back to the good old days before Apple was in the phone market. We would simply have more crap from which to choose. 
    watto_cobracornchipjahblade
  • Reply 14 of 62
    lkrupp said:
    Looking in my tech junk drawer I’m staring at 5 5W chargers, 1 18W charger, 1 12W charger, at least a dozen USB-A to Lightning cables, a couple of USB-c to Lightning cables and assorted USB-Mini and USB-Micro cables for various gadgets I own. So NO, I don’t need a charger included with my iPhone.
    Exactly. And regulations coming in the EU will hit the 'e-junk' issues. Apple is simply looking forward, not backwards.
    watto_cobraFidonet127jahblade
  • Reply 15 of 62
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    lkrupp said:
    Exactly. And regulations coming in the EU will hit the 'e-junk' issues. Apple is simply looking forward, not backwards.
    I’m happy for you both, but many of us don’t own devices that use the 18W charger. I agree with those who say that while not including the charger is a good idea, they should have waited until it was the second or third year that uses this type of charger. 
    williamlondonavon b7firelock
  • Reply 16 of 62
    Yeh, I and my friends & family have bunches of old, obsolete charging bricks that are incompatible with both the newer, fast charging iPhones as well as the charging cable Apple so "generously" provides with their new phones.

For my grandson,  his dad spent nearly $1,500 on a new iPhone for him -- but we had to then shell out another $20 for a modern, compatible charging brick.  

I expect that nonsense from the makers of low cost phones.   To get slapped in the face with it from the maker of the world's premier phones is just wrong.  And, excuses don't make it right.   They simply emphasize how wrong it is.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 62
    Yeh, I and my friends & family have bunches of old, obsolete charging bricks that are incompatible with both the newer, fast charging iPhones as well as the charging cable Apple so "generously" provides with their new phones.

For my grandson,  his dad spent nearly $1,500 on a new iPhone for him -- but we had to then shell out another $20 for a modern, compatible charging brick.  

I expect that nonsense from the makers of low cost phones.   To get slapped in the face with it from the maker of the world's premier phones is just wrong.  And, excuses don't make it right.   They simply emphasize how wrong it is.

The thing is all those old lightning cables and charging bricks work perfectly with your new iPhone. If you were happy enough using the included 5w brick before, nothing has changed. It was always terrible and I myself have never used one for charging any iPhone I’ve ever had.  I currently charge my iPhone with the MagSafe connected with a power brick that came with the Pixel 4a that my brother gave me, because it was sitting in a drawer. Prior to that I was using my 18w iPad Pro charger which I could still use since I don’t and never have used to charge my iPad Pro 

Beatsjahblade
  • Reply 18 of 62
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I am surprised they didn't jump to version 13.
    cornchipBeats
  • Reply 19 of 62
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    fred1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    I’m happy for you both, but many of us don’t own devices that use the 18W charger. I agree with those who say that while not including the charger is a good idea, they should have waited until it was the second or third year that uses this type of charger. 
    You can use any USB charger, and you can even use a USB-A to lightning cable. If you have ever owned any iPhone with a lightning cable then you have everything you need to charge any iPhone 12. 
    Beatsjahblade
  • Reply 20 of 62
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

The thing is all those old lightning cables and charging bricks work perfectly with your new iPhone. If you were happy enough using the included 5w brick before, nothing has changed. It was always terrible and I myself have never used one for charging any iPhone I’ve ever had.  I currently charge my iPhone with the MagSafe connected with a power brick that came with the Pixel 4a that my brother gave me, because it was sitting in a drawer. Prior to that I was using my 18w iPad Pro charger which I could still use since I don’t and never have used to charge my iPad Pro 

So, if you were happy riding your horse, there's no sense getting a car?  If you were happy with drum brakes there's not sense getting disk brakes?  So, if you're happy with slow charging there's no sense going to fast charging?
    ....  All really, really good excuses!

Prior to the iPhone 8 they didn't accept a fast charge.   But, even when they upgraded the phones they never upgraded the charger to go with it.