Apple threatened to pull Amphetamine macOS app over branding

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    The only reason Amphetamine is now relevant is because Caffeine hasn't been updated in ages and I personally have not found it to work reliably anymore. Amphetamine does work and can be relied on.  And yes, there are times when the Mac doesn't stay awake despite my best efforts in the Energy Control Panel.  Personally, I like the name "Caffeine" better, but I guess one can argue that "Amphetamine" is a stark reminder that Americans love their drugs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 34
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    jdw said:
    The only reason Amphetamine is now relevant is because Caffeine hasn't been updated in ages and I personally have not found it to work reliably anymore. Amphetamine does work and can be relied on.  And yes, there are times when the Mac doesn't stay awake despite my best efforts in the Energy Control Panel.  Personally, I like the name "Caffeine" better, but I guess one can argue that "Amphetamine" is a stark reminder that Americans love their drugs.
    Are you kidding? CAFFEINE is a stark reminder that Americans love their drugs. Caffeine is the only drug addiction that is bragged about and CELEBRATED in the USA. All others are considered character flaws or worse. Americans are addicted to caffeine through coffee and other substances that are just caffeine delivery devices. It’s perfectly legal, probably for the same reason that no cops are enforcing noise ordinances on jerkass motorcycle owners who’ve illegally modified their bikes to be louder than the factory pipes (NO, loud pipes DON’T save lives!): they are the same people.

Apple was stupid here. Their conservatism is creepily paternal and extremely inconsistent.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    dysamoria said:
    Are you kidding? CAFFEINE is a stark reminder that Americans love their drugs...

Apple was stupid here. Their conservatism is creepily paternal and extremely inconsistent.
    For what it's worth, I don't drink coffee despite having multiple family members who do.  I prefer plain white yogurt with a dab of genuine organic bee honey, along side some orange juice with a bit of vitamins C powder mixed in for a very light breakfast free of hardcore drugs.

As to Apple being stupid, well they are when it comes to bullying the Pear logo company, but for disliking the names of drugs known to be harder core than caffeine, I won't brow-beat them too hard.  Being a conservative myself helps. :-)  But in terms of their politics overall, they are far, far from conservative, even from their very beginning.  If anything, they are playing it safe to be more like traditional-family friendly Disney.  The same is true of Cook having opened dialog with Trump.  That doesn't make Apple conservative at all.  It just makes them smart by doing things to keep Big Brother off their backs.
    dysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 34
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    elijahg said:
    I pass judgment of the name itself, but this exactly is what keeps catching the ire of regulators, and getting Apple into hot water. Something that has apparently been fine for years is suddenly not, either due to a reinterpretation of the existing rules which haven’t changed; or more likely someone in a higher position at Apple has noticed the name and doesn’t like it. It’s not fair. 

At least the dev can continue to offer their app outside the App Store. I don’t know anyone who actually uses the Mac App Store anyway, I never do as I can’t stand the babying the sandboxing enforces. 
    Regular AI readers generally do not use the app store, other than a periodic steep sale on something.

However, there are uses for it in education, enterprise, and the "computer as appliance" crowd. Those folks outnumber regular AI readers by a great deal.
    I used to run a Mac network in a school and we never used it, and I know a number of Mac users of the non-AI reading type and they also don't use it, apart from one who downloaded Word through it, that's about it. A number of them have non-App Store third party apps though, which can't be on the App Store due to the sandboxing.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

elijahg said:
    I pass judgment of the name itself, but this exactly is what keeps catching the ire of regulators, and getting Apple into hot water. Something that has apparently been fine for years is suddenly not, either due to a reinterpretation of the existing rules which haven’t changed; or more likely someone in a higher position at Apple has noticed the name and doesn’t like it. It’s not fair. 

At least the dev can continue to offer their app outside the App Store. I don’t know anyone who actually uses the Mac App Store anyway, I never do as I can’t stand the babying the sandboxing enforces. 
    Just as a point of interest... just because an app is not available for distribution in the Mac App Store, does not mean that the developer of the App has not "sandboxed" it.  This is an option when writing the App in Xcode and a developer can choose whether to sandbox it or not.  ;-)
    Absolutely, but I'm yet to come across a third party app that the dev has chosen to sandbox. 
  • Reply 26 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    The problem with stuff like this is that it was some front line, low level app reviewer that probably made the decision to threaten to delete the app. Apple top brass never hears about this crap until it makes the tech blogs. Then the real discussion starts.

However, this whole thing boils down to the word of a single developer claiming he got that phone call. All we have heard from is this guy, nobody else. Not Apple for sure. It’s all based on his claims and claimed response of Apple. Why would a developer make such a claim if it didn’t happen? What would be a motive for making this all up? What if he planned this all out to get tons of PR for his app that until now no one had ever heard of?

I’m always skeptical of single individual stories. And I always consider that the evil side of human nature is at play sometimes. But in any event, whether the story is true or not, we have tech blogs plastering it all over the Internet because it portrays  Apple in a negative light and that’s how you ad clicks.
    maximara
  • Reply 27 of 34
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    larryjw said:
    I see Apple’s position, but a better response might be, “why weren’t these features already built into the OS?”
    Why didn't the OS catch it? AI isn't smart enough to be as dumb of as humans. 

From what I can tell AI is catching up. 
    Because the process at Apple not as good as we think they are. 
    I submitted a complaint to Apple about the app which was bypassing the Apple payment (something similar to what Epic wanted to do). It took me 4 mails to get the issue to the right person. Others were telling me that’s alright and were not aware of such issues. 

• Reply 28 of 34
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    elijahg said:
    elijahg said:

Regular AI readers generally do not use the app store, other than a periodic steep sale on something.

However, there are uses for it in education, enterprise, and the "computer as appliance" crowd. Those folks outnumber regular AI readers by a great deal.
    I used to run a Mac network in a school and we never used it, and I know a number of Mac users of the non-AI reading type and they also don't use it, apart from one who downloaded Word through it, that's about it. A number of them have non-App Store third party apps though, which can't be on the App Store due to the sandboxing.
    Okay?

I guess I'm not sure what your point is. At no point did I say that the MAS was universally beloved or anything.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    jdw said:
    dysamoria said:
    Are you kidding? CAFFEINE is a stark reminder that Americans love their drugs...

For what it's worth, I don't drink coffee despite having multiple family members who do.  I prefer plain white yogurt with a dab of genuine organic bee honey, along side some orange juice with a bit of vitamins C powder mixed in for a very light breakfast free of hardcore drugs.

As to Apple being stupid, well they are when it comes to bullying the Pear logo company, but for disliking the names of drugs known to be harder core than caffeine, I won't brow-beat them too hard.  Being a conservative myself helps. :-)  But in terms of their politics overall, they are far, far from conservative, even from their very beginning.  If anything, they are playing it safe to be more like traditional-family friendly Disney.  The same is true of Cook having opened dialog with Trump.  That doesn't make Apple conservative at all.  It just makes them smart by doing things to keep Big Brother off their backs.
    Acknowledged. Please note I wasn’t saying that Apple are politically conservative or even typically socially conservative, as is commonly understood. Maybe I should’ve used different wording. I did say “paternal”, though. 😉

Apple corporate culture, in terms of how they regulate content, are more like... prudes. Assuming everyone needs protection from sex and bad words...

They’re also obsessively controlling. There’s no way I could or would ever function as an Apple employee. I find the Apple corporate culture to be creepy, as I said.
  • Reply 30 of 34

lkrupp said:
    The problem with stuff like this is that it was some front line, low level app reviewer that probably made the decision to threaten to delete the app. Apple top brass never hears about this crap until it makes the tech blogs. Then the real discussion starts.

However, this whole thing boils down to the word of a single developer claiming he got that phone call. All we have heard from is this guy, nobody else. Not Apple for sure. It’s all based on his claims and claimed response of Apple. Why would a developer make such a claim if it didn’t happen? What would be a motive for making this all up? What if he planned this all out to get tons of PR for his app that until now no one had ever heard of?

I’m always skeptical of single individual stories. And I always consider that the evil side of human nature is at play sometimes. But in any event, whether the story is true or not, we have tech blogs plastering it all over the Internet because it portrays  Apple in a negative light and that’s how you ad clicks.
    For crying out loud. There’s absolutely a pattern of behavior with Apple. Your commentary about the developer doesn’t sound skeptical; it sounds paranoid (that someone is hurting your poor, weak, defenseless, underdog... monster corporation).
  • Reply 31 of 34
    larryjw said:
    I see Apple’s position, but a better response might be, “why weren’t these features already built into the OS?”
    Why didn't the OS catch it? AI isn't smart enough to be as dumb of as humans. 

From what I can tell AI is catching up. 
    “Artificial Stupidity” is the only proper label for what people keep erroneously calling “AI”.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    I agree with those that think it should be part of the OS.  Preferably something that can be done with a keyboard shortcut.

While I'm here, I'd love to see a setting added to iOS that would prevent the camera from turning on unless the iPhone is unlocked.
    It's way too easy to accidentally turn on the camera when the phone is put in your pocket.
    Like, maybe a physical button for screen activation...?
  • Reply 33 of 34
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Which is probably why they suddenly have a problem with the name...
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Caffeine was great, but "Amphetamine" is a stupid name for a very useful app, imho. Why not just call it "Crack"? Rebranding might actually help the popularity of the app.