Apple accused of 'censoring' directions to Washington, D.C., ahead of election protests

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Reports on Tuesday claimed that Apple Maps was "censoring" directions to Washington, D.C., though there's little reason to believe that's the case.

Credit: Apple
Credit: Apple

According to some users on Twitter and reports from various blogs, iPhone users attempting to get directions to Washington were met with a message saying that directions were "not available at this time because of current road conditions."

As of 5:20 p.m. Eastern Time, those messages are no longer showing on Apple Maps. Getting directions to Washington appears to be working normally again.

It's likely that a technical issue or current road conditions caused the problem. Washington is bracing for protests ahead of Congress voting to certify the 2020 election results, and officials have closed many roadways in the area.

The culprit being a technical glitch is also supported by the fact that retrieving directions from "My Location" didn't work, though navigating to Washington from nearby Alexandria did.

There's also a chance that a surge in users trying to get directions to the U.S. capital snarled Apple's system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    There are a series of assertions in this article unsupported by evidence. Why not just say Maps is down in the area for unexplained reasons? Or contact Apple and ask for an explanation.
    apple4lizifewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Google and Waze which imo are more reliable didn’t have that problem..
    williamlondondavgreg
  • Reply 3 of 26
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    There are a series of assertions in this article unsupported by evidence. …
    At least not until after the 20th…  :D
    Beatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    This happens occasionally to me in my rural area and it is usually the result of road construction, where a lane may be closed.   Since there are few ways to get anywhere it is unnerving to head out and find that the usual route is unavailable - but I've learned to kind of ignore it, and once past the construction zone it picks up the route back up.
    chiaAndy.Hardwakesvanstromronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    Or it could be a bunch of Yahoos on Twitter wanted to cause “outrage” and planted a false story. Twitter is good for that. Alternatively a Yahoo on Twitter had a problem with their phone and tried to blame Apple on Twitter to produce “outrage” among like minded Yahoos.

Anything from Twitter is suspect. 
    wg45678williamlondonronnStrangeDaysGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Where’s my paper maps??? Halllerrrrrr
  • Reply 8 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    There are a series of assertions in this article unsupported by evidence. Why not just say Maps is down in the area for unexplained reasons? Or contact Apple and ask for an explanation.
    Which assertions are unsupported by evidence?
    tommikeleStrangeDaysGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 26
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Stories that are prefaced by "According to some users on Twitter and reports from various blogs" are the reason why you sometimes need to use the big flush button on your dual flush toilet. 
    tenthousandthingswilliamlondonbeowulfschmidtronnSpamSandwichStrangeDaysBeatswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    There are a series of assertions in this article unsupported by evidence. Why not just say Maps is down in the area for unexplained reasons? Or contact Apple and ask for an explanation

It must be a conspiracy!  It makes it pretty clear it is rumors. It doesn’t claim to be verified information. Perhaps you should start your own Mac news site. Then you decide what you think is news and how to report it.
    Oferronn
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Which assertions are unsupported by evidence

Not too much meat between his slices of bread. It’s all spam.
    Oferbulk001ronnStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    When someone types in “Washington DC” or Fresno, CA it takes them to an exact specific point — most likely the city center.  It is possible that exact point was not accessible.  Did anyone try a specific address like the US Capital Building or 100 Pennsylvania Avenue?   
    StrangeDayswatto_cobraMplsP
  • Reply 13 of 26
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    tommikele said:

@tommikele What a classic response! Made me almost snort my milk through my nose :) I don’t think I have ever agreed with @SpamSandwich on anything and don’t on this but could someone at Apple have deliberately messed with the results? It is as unlikely as a qualified pharmacist destroying 500 doses of vaccine but ... it happens. I would agree that the most obvious and likely reason is technical glitches or observed traffic pattern deviations (they are preparing for demonstrations and counter rallies there today). IF it was a deliberate act it shows the power of the overall system to have one person cause any serious long term disruption though. And IF it was deliberate, it would come out soon enough and would duly be covered here and gloated over by SpamSandwich.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    Here we go...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple, don't do mistake that Tweeter did removing reference to NY Post article. Don't get into politics. Not your business.
    bluefire1
  • Reply 16 of 26
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    If they used Apple Maps they may be on the roads to Seattle and not the capital.

I test it from time to time and it is better than it was but still is no substitute for Google’s product in my experience. The routing is not very good.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    bulk001 said:
    tommikele said:

@tommikele What a classic response! Made me almost snort my milk through my nose :) I don’t think I have ever agreed with @SpamSandwich on anything and don’t on this but could someone at Apple have deliberately messed with the results? It is as unlikely as a qualified pharmacist destroying 500 doses of vaccine but ... it happens. I would agree that the most obvious and likely reason is technical glitches or observed traffic pattern deviations (they are preparing for demonstrations and counter rallies there today). IF it was a deliberate act it shows the power of the overall system to have one person cause any serious long term disruption though. And IF it was deliberate, it would come out soon enough and would duly be covered here and gloated over by SpamSandwich.
    We got our first tip about it early yesterday, and it was unreproducible. All day, we tried specific addresses, including the White House itself, and were met with accurate driving directions.
    GeorgeBMacRayz2016bulk001watto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 18 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Beyond stupid. 
    GeorgeBMacRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Why not just say Apple Maps was down?
    Because -- The article was about the crazed Conspiracy Theorists spreading their Crazy Conspiracy Theories.   It's what those idiots do.  Crazy has become normal for them
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Which assertions are unsupported by evidence?

The ones that make him uncomfortable.