Apple on track to release mini LED iPad Pro in early 2021

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
New supply chain reports back up previous claims that the iPad Pro will be Apple's first device to use a mini LED display, and that it will launch in the first quarter of 2021.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

Following previous rumors, and then subsequent reported delays, Apple again appears to be on course to release its first iPad Pro with a mini LED display.

At one point, Apple was expected to release an iPad Pro with mini LED before the end of 2020. Now, according to Digitimes, the launch was delayed by the impact of the coronavirus, rather than any technical issues.

Fan Chin-yung, president of display manufacturer Epistar, has reportedly said that the coronavirus has meant delays in getting devices approved.

"Large-volume shipments for mini LED chips will be deferred from the end of 2020 as originally scheduled," he said, "to the second or third quarter of 2021 due to delay in product certification."

Nonetheless, he also said that "shipments for mini LED chips will begin to contribute to consolidated revenues in first-quarter 2021."

Based on that and unspecified other industry sources, Digitimes concludes that Apple is expected to launch a 12.9-inch mini LED-backlit iPad Pro, possibly in first-quarter 2021.

Digitimes has an excellent track record with sources within the supply chain, though a much poorer one at extrapolating Apple's plans. This latest report does, however, fit with multiple previous ones that expect an iPad Pro with mini LED to launch in the first quarter of 2021.

Mini LED brings improved color reproduction and contrast ratios. It's also a more power-efficient form of backlighting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    So just to be clear, this is mini-LED which is just a backlighting method, and not micro-LED right?  Not sure what the iPad Pro uses right now, but it’s pretty impressive. I have lost track of what devices use LCD vs OLED tech.

I have high hopes that micro-LED will give us all the best of both worlds. The contrast and color of OLED and the no burn-in of LCD. Here is to hoping anyway. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    So just to be clear, this is mini-LED which is just a backlighting method, and not micro-LED right?  Not sure what the iPad Pro uses right now, but it’s pretty impressive. I have lost track of what devices use LCD vs OLED tech.

I have high hopes that micro-LED will give us all the best of both worlds. The contrast and color of OLED and the no burn-in of LCD. Here is to hoping anyway. 
    Yes, that is correct. The upcoming iPad Pro is rumored to be mini-LED. The current iPad (Pro) backlighting is edge-lit, and the new mini-LED tech will allow for full-array backlighting, the benefits of which are pretty obvious.
    edited January 2021 foregoneconclusionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    If it does turn out to be mini-LED, it will be interesting to see how many individual mini-LEDs Apple packs into the display. There isn't really a standard size for an individual mini-LED, so there's a fairly wide range of numbers that are possible relative to iPad Pro screen sizes.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Waiting, waiting, waiting...

iPad Pro with miniLED and 8 GB of RAM are my minimum requirements to replace my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5. Would be cool if Apple offered a 16 GB RAM option. Also cool if they turned on the page file in iPadOS, among other things.
    SpamSandwichmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    tht said:

iPad Pro with miniLED and 8 GB of RAM are my minimum requirements to replace my 2017 iPad Pro 10.5. Would be cool if Apple offered a 16 GB RAM option. Also cool if they turned on the page file in iPadOS, among other things.
    I was set to purchase an iPhone 12, but will keep my iPhone 7 Plus until this fall, just so I can see what Apple is shipping as far as iPad's, and iMac's this year, both of which would be of much more interest to me. I can easily wait until the iPhone 13, but my iMac is a 2014 and getting old in the tooth, and I want to replace my first generation iPad 12.9 inch. It would be nice to see the iMac Pro with a mini LED display as well.

edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    tht said:

M1 chips for everyone!
    watto_cobracornchip
  • Reply 7 of 20
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    MiniLED display is kind of LCD(not OLED). In evolution of display technology for TV, monitor,laptop,tablet,phone; industry is going through MiniLED,QD MiniLED, QD OLED and MicroLED. Idea is same to offer higher brightness,color and perfect black, In 2021, LG,Samsung and rest of manufacturers will reveal their display tech at CES 2021.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    tmay said:
    tht said:

I was set to purchase an iPhone 12, but will keep my iPhone 7 Plus until this fall, just so I can see what Apple is shipping as far as iPad's, and iMac's this year, both of which would be of much more interest to me. I can easily wait until the iPhone 13, but my iMac is a 2014 and getting old in the tooth, and I want to replace my first generation iPad 12.9 inch. It would be nice to see the iMac Pro with a mini LED display as well.
    Yup. MiniLED will be Apple's large display tech for the next 3 to 4 years or so, whenever microLED becomes mass produceable.

I ended up replacing my iPhone 6S Plus with an iPhone 12. The 12 is so so much better. It's been 5 years, so it should be better, but it also gave me some FOMO for not upgrading every 2 years like I used to. Also, it feels 10,000x better than the 6S Plus with its smaller size. But same. Looking much more forward to a new iPad Pro.

I have a 2013 iMac 27. Still going. Hope it goes until the Apple Silicon iMac or maybe an M1X Mac mini comes out. Maybe even this Mac Half Pro! Either way, hoping Apple returns to shipping a branded display. This time with miniLED, something like 21:9 220 ppi 32" display, with front cam, speakers, microphone, USBC and Ethernet in the back.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    tht said:

What is the 8GB of RAM going to do for you that you can't do with your existing iPad?  If you don't know the answer, then you don't need 8GB of RAM. 
    watto_cobrarezwits
  • Reply 10 of 20

tht said:

M1 chips for everyone!
    Yup. That's my assumption. The only drama is whether Apple will call it a A14X and not implement Thunderbolt, or if Apple is feely spiffy, leave it as an M1, implement Thunderbolt, and add extended desktop display features to the iPad Pros. A Smart Connector that can pass USB protocol would be great too.
    watto_cobrarezwits
  • Reply 11 of 20
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,250member
    flydog said:
    tht said:

What is the 8GB of RAM going to do for you that you can't do with your existing iPad?  If you don't know the answer, then you don't need 8GB of RAM. 
    Working on a huge image file maybe...wasn’t Photoshop and possibly illustrator coming to iPad? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    flydog said:
    tht said:

I like my app states to remain open. Eg, there are times when Safari kills a tab, like when writing a forum post, when I'm researching stuff in other tabs, have Numbers, GoodNotes, Files previewing PDFs, games, who knows what else, and Safari kills the tab I'm writing a forum post in, or the system kills some app and has to restart. That's infuriating. It's not uncommon for me to have Split View and Slide Over at the same time too. I have a workflow where I have Files and Numbers in Split View and I'm using a Pythonista Shortcut to compute some data and make a plot. Having more than 4 GB would be nice there.

8 GB will address some of these problems, but you know the drill. We will use all the compute resources available to us and hit the limits eventually. I've used the MagicPlan app that uses AR to map out a floor plan of a house. That's a monster app and process of using Files, spreadsheets, photos, camera, and so forth. MagicPlan can make the fidelity better and better, which requires more and more RAM.

Using a page file can solve some of these types of problems with 8 GB RAM where apps won't be killed, just paged out to storage. Apps that are properly code to freeze their state when killed would be nice, but you can't count on developers supporting everything. For 16 GB,  it's aspirational. I want to use my iPad Pro like a PC, and be able to extend the display to an external display, be able to simultaneously display multiple apps at the same time, run as many applications deep as possible.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobrarezwits
  • Reply 13 of 20

hexclock said:
    flydog said:
    tht said:

Working on a huge image file maybe...wasn’t Photoshop and possibly illustrator coming to iPad? 
    Photoshop is available for iPadOS. Illustrator is in beta. I use neither, but yes, there are classes of apps that need >8 GB of RAM. iPad Pros not having 8 to 16 GB of RAM is probably one of the reasons why FCP, Logic and Xcode haven't made it to iPads. You can have these kinds of apps including a web browser with web apps running in 8 GB, but without the page file, it will not be pleasant.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I have been wanting to buy an iPad Pro from a long time. I have the original 12.9" iPad Pro and was ready to take the jump last year, assuming that we'll get an A13X chip, or better.
    When they announced A12Z Bionic, I decided to wait. It looks like I can finally buy one by March.

Disclaimer: I do not need an iPad, I do not need A13X or A14 or whatever. I just want it!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    arfftarfft Posts: 2member
    tht said:
    flydog said:
    tht said:

I want to use my iPad Pro like a PC.
    so you want an M1 iPad Pro with macOS instead of ipadOS...

me too.
    watto_cobrawilliamlondoncornchip
  • Reply 16 of 20
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    tht said:

Meh... 8GB is more than enough for an iPad at this point.  I'm in the same boat as you with the 2017 iPad pro 10.5.  I've been waiting for the "real" iPad Pro update for a long time now.  The latest update with Lidar and A12z didn't cut it for me.   I also keep seeing mention of a 12.9" iPad Pro... I surely hope they are updating the 11" as well.  Otherwise, I guess I'll have to wait even longer.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    arfft said:
    tht said:
    flydog said:
    tht said:

I want to use my iPad Pro like a PC.
    so you want an M1 iPad Pro with macOS instead of ipadOS...

me too.
    Not macOS. I want iPadOS with a UI designed for touch. The fact that it is designed for touch doesn't mean it shouldn't have a page file, Terminal.app, be able to extend its display to multiple screens, so on and so forth.
    muthuk_vanalingammattinoztechconc
  • Reply 18 of 20
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    tht said:.
    Not macOS. I want iPadOS with a UI designed for touch. The fact that it is designed for touch doesn't mean it shouldn't have a page file, Terminal.app, be able to extend its display to multiple screens, so on and so forth.
    I am on my fourth (iirc) Terminal (substation) app, and I need to maintain access to a Raspberry Pi to make many things work. It is needlessly complicated... but Apple does not care.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    I would love to see the ability to colour profile an iPad display. The current options for doing so are not globally applied and are clunky in implementation.
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 20 of 20
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    tht said:

M1 chips for everyone!
    Apple must have a 6core bin of M1s they could use.