Facebook says it has 'no choice' but to comply with Apple privacy feature

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    kestral said:
    They do have a choice:
    1. Make an app
    2. Don't make an app
    Exactly.  One always has a choice.  Just because doesn't like the choices doesn't mean they don't exist.
    watto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    DAalseth said:
    zeus423 said:
    I haven't used Facebag and don't plan on it. When it first came out, I tried to make an account I could use with the classes I teach. I signed up as "Mr. Brown" and my account was disabled for using a "fake name". So I never bothered with it. Yet I'm sure the people I've seen on it who are named PimpDaddy69 are totally legit.
    I had to laugh at this. Yes it blocked you for Mr. Brown, but I created an account with the name Me N. Actor and used it for a couple of years. Their systems of checking for fake names were, and presumably still are, beyond inept. 
    Didn't they once ban an Vietnamese chap because they didn't believe his real name was Phuc Dat Bich?

GG1cornchipwatto_cobraDetnator
  • Reply 23 of 36
    I do not use Fecesbook and have cross site tracking turned off but the multiple incessant cookies that it puts on my phone and iPad are more than unwanted. Doubt if this will stop though. STOP TRACKING ME 
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Beats said:
    zeus423 said:
    I haven't used Facebag and don't plan on it. When it first came out, I tried to make an account I could use with the classes I teach. I signed up as "Mr. Brown" and my account was disabled for using a "fake name". So I never bothered with it. Yet I'm sure the people I've seen on it who are named PimpDaddy69 are totally legit.

Actually Facebook is great at making people use their own identity and keeping people real. I don't think they allow PimpDaddy69 names reminiscent of 1998 Yahoo Messenger.

What bothers me about Facebook is the invasiveness and how they won't tolerate anything that goes against their political views.
    Not so "great" actually.  I have three separate facebook accounts, all with different names (not even remotely resembling each other), one of which is obviously a made up name.  So, not so much.

As for their intolerance, I'll give them that one.  It's their house; the can allow or disallow whatever they want.  Don't like it?  Go back to your own house.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    My main Facebook account has been disabled since early 2017. Not sure why I've been procrastinating about actually deleting it, but this seems like as good a time as any. I'll keep my other account with the made-up name a while longer (though I haven't used that one since 2017 either).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    This is not about choice. It is about control. Facebook wants to control the ads you see. Apple wants to control the apps you use.
    Paranoid nonsense, of course. Apple giving end users control over who tracks them isn't Apple wanting to control which apps I use. Take off the tinfoil bonnet and get real.
    svanstromDogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Beats said:
    zeus423 said:

Actually Facebook is great at making people use their own identity and keeping people real. I don't think they allow PimpDaddy69 names reminiscent of 1998 Yahoo Messenger.

What bothers me about Facebook is the invasiveness and how they won't tolerate anything that goes against their political views.
    They aren't. On my local newspaper, which uses FB for commenting (gross), I routinely see obviously fake names. I've reported a few but nothing happens. 

As for the latter, that isn't true. Primarily because Zuck and ranking executives are famously conservative. Removing disinformation isn't aligning to a political ideology. They're not obligated to publish anti-vax manifestos any more than a bill board company is.
    edited January 2021 mknelsonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 36
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Maybe if their business model wasn’t so scummy people would actually care about their drama. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 36
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

Beats said:
    zeus423 said:

They aren't. On my local newspaper, which uses FB for commenting (gross), I routinely see obviously fake names. I've reported a few but nothing happens. 

As for the latter, that isn't true. Primarily because Zuck and ranking executives are famously conservative. Removing disinformation isn't aligning to a political ideology. They're not obligated to publish anti-vax manifestos any more than a bill board company is.

I was doing an experiment on their algorithm and certain words can get you banned. Long story but as another person said it's their rules, I just think these platforms should not have views. With that said, maybe someone should create a platform with less strict rules.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Who cares.  The majority of people don’t care. They use FB daily.  Same with IG.   Free services rule for the majority.  Same with Google.  They offer a service that billions use daily.  
  • Reply 31 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    With any luck this will destroy Facebook.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Who cares.  The majority of people don’t care. They use FB daily.  Same with IG.   Free services rule for the majority.  Same with Google.  They offer a service that billions use daily.  
    Plenty of people care, otherwise this wouldn't have been a huge thing; so you meant to say that you specifically don't care, and that perhaps most of the people around you don't care, but you shouldn't extrapolate what you and your mates (don't) talk about as being the only things the world cares about.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 109member
    Facebook...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/whatsapp-update-new-privacy-policy-b1783880.html

"WhatsApp will force users to agree to its new privacy policy within the next month, or else lose access to the app.

Agreeing to the terms will mean that a user’s private data, including their phone number, will be shared with Facebook, which owns WhatsApp.

All users must agree to the new terms by 8 February 2021, or else lose access to their chats and contacts."

• Reply 34 of 36
    cjcoops said:
    Facebook...

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/whatsapp-update-new-privacy-policy-b1783880.html

"WhatsApp will force users to agree to its new privacy policy within the next month, or else lose access to the app.

Agreeing to the terms will mean that a user’s private data, including their phone number, will be shared with Facebook, which owns WhatsApp.

All users must agree to the new terms by 8 February 2021, or else lose access to their chats and contacts."

This time it was only WhatsApp, next time it could be that you have to hand over your firstborn child to keep that @ that is the main communications channel for your small business.

Perhaps time for people to realise that they don't actually own anything when they, like some put it, "make an instagram" etc (IG, which, of course, also is a FB product).

Edit: Not that a lot of business aren't already stuck with WhatsApp as an established way for them to be contacted; in some countries you see that in storefronts just like you in other countries see businesses' ats for ig and twitter.
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 35 of 36
    svanstrom said:
    Plenty of people care, otherwise this wouldn't have been a huge thing; so you meant to say that you specifically don't care, and that perhaps most of the people around you don't care, but you shouldn't extrapolate what you and your mates (don't) talk about as being the only things the world cares about.
    Well you are wrong. I don’t use fb,if,sc any of that social crap.  But billions do.  A few million outliers doesn’t mean much.  Do you thing google is going anywhere?   No it’s not.  
  • Reply 36 of 36
    svanstrom said:
    Well you are wrong. I don’t use fb,if,sc any of that social crap.  But billions do.  A few million outliers doesn’t mean much.  Do you thing google is going anywhere?   No it’s not.  
    Less than 2 billion daily active users; and many are just feeling trapped by not having the option to not use fb.

They're ready to jump ship as soon as they can; and the FB user base doesn't get replenished by younger users that actually like fb. There's a huge ennui about the whole thing that's fb. So people are just ready for those outliers to pull them away when there's a reasonable alternative.