Apple M1 MacBook Air, MacBook Pro stuck with 720p FaceTime cameras

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28

Apple sometimes feels like the very rich uncle that counts every round of drinks, and takes care never to be the first to pull his wallet. Apple is never generous. Like you buy an expensive house, and you still have to negotiate with the seller about every sink that stays. A Bentley without real leather seats. And by the way, you should buy your own tires. Once you drive the car the experience is great, but the moment you have to fork the money over in stings. The coming Bentley will have those real leather seats...
    You really think they're doing this to save a few bucks?  Good grief.  Have you seen how thin the laptop screens are?  You know about that "camera bump" on the iPhones and iPads, right?  

When you figure out how to fit a 1080p camera inside the MBA and MBP laptop screens, I'm sure Apple's engineering team would love to hear from you.
    jdb8167
  • Reply 22 of 28

razorpit said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    k2kw said:
    Scot1 said:
    Repost

720 P is unacceptable in today’s portable equipment. 

I get that they’re going to save the better resolution camera for the next iteration, but seriously, cameras should really be moving up to 4K. 
    Well if the really wanted to make a better laptop they could have added back MagSafe, HDMI, and SD card reader.  Still going to stick with my MBP 2015.
    And the SCSI port. Don’t forget the SCSCI port. 
    Gotta give him the MagSafe though. Losing MagSafe sucks. That was a timeless technology.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=macbook+usb-c+magsafe
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Disappointing that AI didn’t dig deeper into this issue. It is very likely that Apple can’t add a 1080 camera because the case for the screen is just too thin. Physics requires a certain depth to focus on a larger area. There may be clever work around that Apple can do in the future (periscope comes to mind) but given these Mac cases are identical to the Intel versions it really isn’t surprising that Apple wasn’t willing to risk a new design for a minor issue. 

I wouldn’t want a thicker screen just to solve this. 
  • Reply 24 of 28
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Detnator said:
    k2kw said:
    Scot1 said:
    Repost

I get that they’re going to save the better resolution camera for the next iteration, but seriously, cameras should really be moving up to 4K. 
    Well if the really wanted to make a better laptop they could have added back MagSafe, HDMI, and SD card reader.  Still going to stick with my MBP 2015.
    Omg not this again.  We're nearly 5 years in.  Move on.  These machines are better without that crap taking up space.

How are they better?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Rayz2016 said:
    k2kw said:
    Scot1 said:
    Repost

And the SCSI port. Don’t forget the SCSCI port. 

You are just embarrassing yourself by being snarky for no reason, ports are always welcome in a notebook and the trend to minimise them and add on hubs is annoying and ridiculous. 
    GeorgeBMacmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Almost no one has video calls with a 1080p+ resolution.  For Zoom, only the special business/education customers can get 1080p video, and even then it requires contacting support and asking them to enable it.

For the non-video call use cases, a better camera would be great, but I suspect that Apple knows that for most people it won't matter.
    A laptop with the word "Pro" in its name should have professional hardware and a 1080p webcam is not a crazy expectation on a $1300+ laptop marketed for professionals. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 27 of 28
    JinTech said:
    What is the deal with everyone needing more than 720p? What exactly do you need more then that for a FaceTime camera? Are you shooting the next Michael Bay movie?
    If the MacBook Air was $599 no one would complain about the 720p camera, but it's a premium laptop so it should have premium components, shouldn't it?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 28
    seddyseddy Posts: 1member
    I bought a Mac air a few days ago. I have been on the phone with Apple support but my image on the camera remains not only unsatisfactory but very bad. Its grainy, as if i were behind a veil. I was told they are working on it. 
    Does anyone have any suggestions because I need the computer for zoom meetings and its very disappointing. Everyone else i meet with has a clear picture (even with a cheaper computer).