Hyundai in talks with Apple to produce 'Apple Car'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    don’t mind as long as it isn’t built in certain authoritarian countries from the start.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 65
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    DAalseth said:
    I sure wish it had been Toyota.
    Agreed. I have a 15 year old Prius that's been rock solid. 
    Toyota was one of the last manufacturers to bring CarPlay in, sticking with their clunky BT interface instead; if Apple were to make a car you can bet they would want complete control over the interface and I don’t know that Toyota would do that. 

Toyota also has a huge presence with the Prius so I’m not sure they’d want to bring a competitor into the mix. 

As far as quality goes, the Hyundai Genesis is reportedly a very nice and well built car. 
    edited January 2021 razorpitanantksundaramrandominternetpersonMisterKit
  • Reply 23 of 65
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    I doubt it’ll be an entire car instead Apple’s technology implanted by popular car manufacturers. A first of its kind 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 65
    borps said:
    Why do they aim so low?
    If they want to build the best cars they'll have to go with German or Japanese engineering. Not Hyundai, yet another Korean me-too manufacturer...
    I believe Apple was in partnering talks with a European car company a couple of years ago that fell through.  Kia’s small enough, but competent enough, to gain both dollars and cachet partnering with Apple, so definitely an interesting rumor.
  • Reply 25 of 65
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    borps said:
    Why do they aim so low?
    If they want to build the best cars they'll have to go with German or Japanese engineering. Not Hyundai, yet another Korean me-too manufacturer...
    Yeah that crappy Korean engineering...

muthuk_vanalingamrandominternetpersonelijahg
  • Reply 26 of 65
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Tesla's stock value is about a third of Apple's, even though Apple makes (nearly) ten times as much profit as Tesla. Using those profit numbers, that suggests that Tesla is roughly three time overvalued.

Tesla can't pay cash for any other car company, since most car companies are worth $60 billion. Tesla would have to pay with a stock swap. However I believe no car manufacturer's CEO would accept Tesla's stock since it's overvalued.
    chaickawatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 65
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    emcnair said:
    The quote was, "We understand that Apple is in discussion with a variety of global automakers, including Hyundai Motor. As the discussion is at its early stage, nothing has been decided.” Apple is talking to a variety of manufacturers. Also, if things manifest themselves as they do with every Apple product, Apple will spec everything down to the last bolt. So it won’t matter much who they choose.
    The big question though is if those bolts will be pentalobe bolts!  ;)
    MisterKitelijahgcaladanianemcnair
  • Reply 28 of 65
    Looks like Hyundai just put themselves out of the game with that leak.....

believe it or not, Hyundai make very good cars these days. Brother is a mechanic and he cant fault them.
    Compare that to the volume of Audi, VW, BMW, Opel that come in , and then you realise what manufacturers are pumping out crap.
    You would be surprised at how many "Big" names are using bought-in engines developed by the "lesser" brands.
    Pay a 
    premium for your German car and find out the engine is actually from a French maker....  :#

And some people think the iPhone is a walled Garden. Imagine paying €70,000 for a car and when the power steering needs to be changed, the car won't start unless Main Dealer re-program the car to recognise the new part !!!! 
    Or one car that would go into Limp Home mode randomly, but be fine the following day... turns out a home-burned audio CD was driving the ICE ECU mad at one track and that made the main ECU shutdown the car to emergency mode.
    Current car manufacturers know squat about developing software systems for cars that are secure and usable, and with smart, connected cars here now, they all need someone with experience in this area. Toyota/Lexus are the leaders in Hybrid/Battery tech , simply because they have been doing it for about 20 years.

Think of CarPlay as the Motorola phone that had iTunes.....

d_2MisterKitelijahg
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Great choice.  Don’t use a luxury car brand.  Use a car that the masses can afford.  I’ve had 3 Hyundai’s. All were great.  Had 150000 miles on each one.  No major issues on any of them. 2 sonata and a Santa Fe 
  • Reply 30 of 65
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Nah, it’ll be Roomba. 
  • Reply 31 of 65
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    Serious hope Apple has learnt from their Samsung saga. Korean firms will just end up making copycat versions of the same tech/features in their own models.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 65
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    borps said:
    Why do they aim so low?
    I believe Apple was in partnering talks with a European car company a couple of years ago that fell through.  Kia’s small enough, but competent enough, to gain both dollars and cachet partnering with Apple, so definitely an interesting rumor.
    I thought KIA was bought over by Hyundai some time before 2000?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 65
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    chaicka said:
    borps said:
    Why do they aim so low?
    I thought KIA was bought over by Hyundai some time before 2000?
    Yes - Kia and Hyundai are part of the same company. Like GM and Chevy. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Isn’t anyone going to rant on about building it in America?
    They have a manufacturing plant in Alabama. 
    Really?

I did not know that. 
  • Reply 35 of 65
    qwerty52qwerty52 Posts: 367member
    I am happy it isn’t a China’s manufacture.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 65
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    MplsP said:
    DAalseth said:
    Agreed. I have a 15 year old Prius that's been rock solid. 
    Toyota was one of the last manufacturers to bring CarPlay in, sticking with their clunky BT interface instead; if Apple were to make a car you can bet they would want complete control over the interface and I don’t know that Toyota would do that. 

Toyota also has a huge presence with the Prius so I’m not sure they’d want to bring a competitor into the mix. 

As far as quality goes, the Hyundai Genesis is reportedly a very nice and well built car. 
    As an owner of a 2016 with that horrid system you are spot on. Toyota really dragged their feet on that one. Makes me wonder if these negotiations were going on way back then and Toyota was using CarPlay as a bargaining chip. When it finally got to the point where they were the only ones without CarPlay they had no choice but to offer it.
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Really?

I did not know that. 
    They have a new truck coming out soon and under current chicken tax rules it must be built here.
  • Reply 37 of 65
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    seanie248 said:
    Looks like Hyundai just put themselves out of the game with that leak.....

believe it or not, Hyundai make very good cars these days. Brother is a mechanic and he cant fault them.
    Compare that to the volume of Audi, VW, BMW, Opel that come in , and then you realise what manufacturers are pumping out crap.
    You would be surprised at how many "Big" names are using bought-in engines developed by the "lesser" brands.
    Pay a premium for your German car and find out the engine is actually from a French maker....  :#

And some people think the iPhone is a walled Garden. Imagine paying €70,000 for a car and when the power steering needs to be changed, the car won't start unless Main Dealer re-program the car to recognise the new part !!!! 
    Or one car that would go into Limp Home mode randomly, but be fine the following day... turns out a home-burned audio CD was driving the ICE ECU mad at one track and that made the main ECU shutdown the car to emergency mode.
    Current car manufacturers know squat about developing software systems for cars that are secure and usable, and with smart, connected cars here now, they all need someone with experience in this area. Toyota/Lexus are the leaders in Hybrid/Battery tech , simply because they have been doing it for about 20 years.

Think of CarPlay as the Motorola phone that had iTunes.....

Hyundai has walked back on their statement

After $8 billion surge in market value, Hyundai walks back statement it’s in talks over Apple Car (macdailynews.com)
  • Reply 38 of 65
    DAalseth said:
    This is the first Apple Car rumour that seems partially believable. Apple hasn't even been talking to anyone about a factory. The only other option is to get someone else to build it. A big name, Audi, Ford, BMW would insist on their own branding. but a Hundai or Kia might go for it and not worry about having their own name on it. Apple could then also use one of their chassis as a platform and bolt Apple's tech and design skins on. True or not it's at least plausible.
    Apple is looking for a contract manufacturing partner imo.  They aren't looking to rebrand someone else's car.  I was initially surprised they wouldn't be in talks with companies like Magna Steyr https://www.magna.com/products/complete-vehicles/complete-vehicle-manufacturing Then I thought, they probably are, and are in talks with multiple contract and OEM manufacturers.  A big name like Audi, Ford, or BMW would not insist on their own branding.  Quiet as it's kept, automotive manufacturers have been making cars for each other for decades.  Here's one of the latest:: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/gm-honda-acura-electric-cars-us-mexico/ ;

If Apple's rumored R&D on battery tech bore fruit, they are going to need someone who can design a chassis around their (Apple's) battery floor and motor(s).  Would Apple's Gen 1 car be able to use some components from the Kona or Ioniq EV's? Probably.  But the sheet metal design and interior, battery pack, and probably motor(s) are most likely gonna be Apple.  I could be 100% wrong, but I doubt Apple is going to go the Tesla route of repurposing someone else's chassis (Lotus Elise).  Whoever they end up contracting with, I'd be flabbergasted if they went the Tesla route.
    edited January 2021 randominternetperson
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Rayz2016 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Really?

I did not know that. 
    Yep, Hyundai has been here for 15 years.  Others even longer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automotive_assembly_plants_in_the_United_States ;
  • Reply 40 of 65
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,949member
    As long as Hyundai is not in the same Chaebol as Samsung. Otherwise we’ll see a carbon copy Samsung Car six months later. Actually, that wii likely happen anyway, just take a bit longer.