Apple supplier predicts 500 million 5G phones in 2021

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Long-time Apple supplier Murata Manufacturing says demand from Apple and others will see it supplying components for at least 500 million 5G smart phones in 2021.

5G logo on an iPhone

One of Apple's key iPhone component suppliers, Murata Manufacturing, reports that increased orders from smartphone manufacturers are such that it had to cancel its regular holiday break. Murata makes ceramic capacitors for the iPhone 12, amongst other devices, and says that this component is particularly in demand.

"[The] situation is most severe with our cutting-edge capacitors for smartphone use," Murata president Norio Nakajima said. "The industry had 300 million units of 5G smartphones during the current fiscal year, and I expect that to increase to at least 500 million in the next fiscal year."

According to Bloomberg, Nakajima believes that the increased orders are coming from manufacturers looking to capitalize on Huawei's difficulties with the US.

"These handset makers are competing to grab our supply capacity once taken by Huawei," he said. "I am not sure how much of it is backed up by their actual production forecast. I feel like the move is overheated and thus expect their orders would drop in February and March."

However, Bloomberg claims analysts believe Nakajima is being cautious, and that stronger than expected demand for 5G devices will continue. This is despite 5G services still far from being commonly available worldwide.

According to research firm Statista, around 1.4 billion smartphones have been sold worldwide in each of the past five years.

If 2021 saw no increase in sales, that would make the estimated 500 million 5G devices represent 35.7% of total devices sold. However, recent reports from manufacturers such as Foxconn suggest that demand for 5G will grow the market.

As of 2020, an estimated 3.5 billion people own smartphones, with the most popular models being assorted Samsung, Apple, and Huawei devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    My XS Max is holding up quite well. My tent pole wish, as much as I hate it, is to get TouchID in the lock button like on the iPad Air. Until the scandemic is over this feature is a must.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 9
    XedXed Posts: 2,559member
    Why bother.
    edited January 2021 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Got at least another 3-5 years before 5G means anything
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    lkrupp said:
    Got at least another 3-5 years before 5G means anything
    We'll have 7G being marketed by then ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    My new iPhone is 5G but I can't even use it -- AT&T requires signing onto a new 5G plan in order to use the 5G antennas. I have no reason to do so. Dumb since we didn't have to do this for LTE antennas.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    My new iPhone is 5G but I can't even use it -- AT&T requires signing onto a new 5G plan in order to use the 5G antennas. I have no reason to do so. Dumb since we didn't have to do this for LTE antennas.
    Not to mention you’re missing out on all the benefits that come with 5G on a phone! Like, it’s faster (if you can get a signal), also, it’s really faster (well, as long you are almost close enough to touch the tower and the weather is perfect), PLUS it’s faster (unless it’s actually slower than LTE). But, forget all that, you’re totally missing out.
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingamMplsP
  • Reply 7 of 9
    But ppl look on the number from other perspective.

In last 5 years were sold 7 bill phones. But there is only 3,5 bill users. Some has more then one but haven't found any data about that.
    Apple sold 1 275 bill in last 5 years plus 600 mil before. Have about 1 bill users now. So about 800 mil devices are e-waste now
    But there are about 2.5 bill Android users  5.725 sold in last 5 ears. Total about 13 bill. Where is all those up to 10,5 bill Android + other devices?
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    ,ihatescreennames said:
    Not to mention you’re missing out on all the benefits that come with 5G on a phone! Like, it’s faster (if you can get a signal), also, it’s really faster (well, as long you are almost close enough to touch the tower and the weather is perfect), PLUS it’s faster (unless it’s actually slower than LTE). But, forget all that, you’re totally missing out.
    You forgot to mention performing remote surgery and having your car talk to all the other cars on the road. (Since some guy almost ran into me this morning I’m guessing that benefit isn’t active yet.)
    ihatescreennames
  • Reply 9 of 9
    MplsP said:
    ,ihatescreennames said:
    You forgot to mention performing remote surgery and having your car talk to all the other cars on the road. (Since some guy almost ran into me this morning I’m guessing that benefit isn’t active yet.)
    Re: cars talking to other cars. We have a 2017 E300. When we bought it one of things the sales staff told us, and was mentioned at least a couple of times on the website while “building” it, was “E to X” tech.

If I remember correctly, the gist of it was that all newer E Class vehicles would be able to communicate with each other about, for instance, road conditions ahead of our vehicle. So, if it was snowy or slippery ahead we would get a little advanced warning from vehicles that had already reached the bad area. “E to X” was an attempt at future-proofing, the idea being that other vehicles (the “X”)  might someday also get the same or similar tech and be able to communicate on the same standard.

Since then we have driven in quite a bit of bad weather, snow, heavy rain, etc, and not one time have we gotten any type of warning. Keep in mind, it was supposed to be working at that time, it wasn’t waiting for 5G (or anything else) to come around. I have no idea if all the E classes I see are communicating with my car or not but I certainly don’t see anything that says they are.