2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L sports wireless CarPlay via Uconnect 5

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Jeep on Friday unveiled the 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L, its first model to support wireless Apple CarPlay by way of the upgraded Uconnect 5 infotainment system.

Credit: Jeep
Credit: Jeep

Wireless CarPlay is coming to more vehicles in 2021, allowing iPhone users to connect their devices without the need for a Lightning cable. Recent vehicles that will support wireless CarPlay includes the 2021 Hyundai Santa Fe and the 2021 Honda Accord.

The three-row Jeep Grand Cherokee L, which represents the model's fifth generation, sports a Uconnect 5 infotainment system -- with wireless CarPlay -- across its trims.

Along with CarPlay and Android Auto support, the Uconnect 5 infotainment system also features a 8.4-inch touchscreen display. A larger 10.1-inch screen is also available on the Limited and Overland trims, and is standard on the Summit.

Uconnect 5, announced by FCA in January 2020, features additional updates on the previous generation. Those include better personalization options; Alexa "Home to Car" functionality; and simultaneous dual-phone connectivity.

Previously, wireless CarPlay was only available on high-end infotainment systems from luxury manufacturers. Although some third-party workarounds, wireless CarPlay is becoming more commonplace in a wider array of cars.

The 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee L will become available in the spring. Though pricing isn't certain right now, it's expected to start around $40,000 for the base Laredo trim and top out at $55,000 for the Summit trim.

AppleInsider will be covering the 2021 all-digital Consumer Electronics Show starting on January 11 through January 14 where we're expecting Wi-Fi 6e devices, HomeKit, Apple accessories, 8K monitors and more. Keep up with our coverage by downloading the AppleInsider app, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos throughout the event.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    I like the Jeeps better than the stupid H sonata.  Better choice to roll with the Jeeps. 
  • Reply 2 of 3
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    I recently switched from a Hyundai Santa Fe to a Jeep Grand Cherokee.  I really liked the Santa Fe, and it definitely performed better off-road than most of its peers, but the Jeep is still a significant upgrade in that area.  Alas, mine doesn't have the new Uconnect, though.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I just purchased a 2021 GMC Sierra and it support wireless CarPlay. It connects automatically each time I get in the car. I came from a 2015 KIA Optima that supported wired CarPlay. Wireless CarPlay is such a great feature. I have to give it to GMC as it is implemented well into their system.