Apple rumored to announce new iPad Pro in March, Mini LED display restricted to 12.9-inch ...

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2021
Apple is preparing to launch a next-generation iPad Pro lineup in March, with rumored Mini LED screen technology limited to the larger 12.9-inch model, according to a report on Friday.

Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, Japanese blog Mac Otakara reports a third-generation 11-inch iPad Pro and fifth-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro will be announced in March.

Echoing previous predictions, the website's sources believe iPad Pro's overall design will remain unchanged from 2020, though the larger variant might be 0.5mm thicker than its predecessor. The additional head room could be designed to accommodate Mini LED components.

Compared to traditional backlight technologies, Mini LED systems feature an array of distinct light sources that illuminate sections of an LCD screen to enhance color reproduction and boost contrast ratios. A similar solution is already seen in Apple's Pro Display XDR, though the LEDs used in that device are physically larger than specifications outlined by the Mini LED standard.

In addition to potential Mini LED backlighting, the new iPad Pro series will reportedly boast an updated sound design, according to Mac Otakara. What, exactly, has changed in regard to speaker performance is unknown, though sources say the number of speaker holes has been reduced by two-thirds and their positioning on the chassis has been modified.

Finally, iPad Pro's rear-facing camera array will see a slight tweak that brings the system's lens covers flush with the camera "bump."

Today's report lines up with rumors aired earlier this week that claimed Apple intends to launch updated iPad Pro models -- and the company's first Mini LED product -- in the first quarter of 2021.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    arfftarfft Posts: 2member
    i hope it will run MacOS instead of iPadOS
  • Reply 2 of 3
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    arfft said:
    i hope it will run MacOS instead of iPadOS
    You can hope, but it's not going to happen. PadOS is gaining features with every iteration and macOS is becoming more like it. 

<<<>>>
    I'm thinking of updating my three and a half year old 10.5 inch iPP. I'm not sure though, the old one is running ok, but the screen is showing a bit of wear. (The next one I get will get a screen protector from day one.) Plus I am starting to notice a bit of lag in things. So the question is do I get the new iPP, get the iPA that came out last fall, or stay with what I have for another year. It's going to be a close call. 
  • Reply 3 of 3
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I have a 10.5 iPP as my main personal machine. It’s battery is a shadow if it’s former self and the screen has that well known stagelight effect just above the home button. It is close to retirement. I don’t think I want to go to the 12.9 inch unless Apple gets its weight down a bit.
    But I will want to upgrade next year. I would like the latest screen tech if I am getting a new machine.

on the stagelight issue, how come there hasn’t been a recall?
    edited January 2021