Second-generation AirPods Pro, new iPhone SE could see April launch

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2021
A new model of AirPods Pro with a refined charging case may be joined at an April launch by a third-generation iPhone SE.

AirPods Pro

Apple is believed to be working on new models of AirPods, such as the AirPods Pro Lite and the AirPods 3, but while there was an expectation for a product launch during the fall battery of Apple events, none surfaced. A report claims that there may be a while to go before a new model appears, with one said to be on the way in April.

Chinese supply chain sources of Macotakara claim a second-generation AirPods Pro is scheduled for release in April, at the same time as a third-generation iPhone SE. The report didn't offer much information, such as the "details of the head unit," but it did claim the charging case will measure 21mm thick, 46mm tall, and 54mm wide.

If true, this would indicate the charging case will be slightly smaller than the current version. According to Apple's specifications for the case, it measures 45.2mm (1.78 inches) tall, 21mm (0.85 inches) thick, and 60.6mm (2.39 inches) wide, which would make the new version roughly the same in terms of thickness and height, but not as wide.

This latest supply chain report follows another from Macotakara on Friday, claiming a new iPad mini will have an 8.4-inch display, Touch ID, Lightning, and a narrower frame.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Find it a little hard to believe that they’d release another iPhone SE so soon. The A13 is still a very capable chip.

only reason I could see was if the new Touch ID part in the Air 4 was good to go for more units. They could make an iPhone 11 SE that had an A14 with Touch ID, same camera system as the 11 but with a straight up LCD? But I feel like that would really confuse the market. And it wouldn’t be that low cost either. 
    watto_cobralongpathspock1234Beats
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Why another SE? We just got the 12 Mini
    caladanianwatto_cobralongpathspock1234
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I would love an updated iPhone SE. My 1st generation’s power button isn’t working anymore and I’m using Accessibility feature. I don’t care for the 2nd generation’s case and how worse the battery life is compared to my 1st generation. 
    spock1234
  • Reply 4 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I’ll believe it when I see it. These rumors are out of control, especially this past year. I’m sure there are many people on the edge of their seats, dutifully lapping up every single word of this horseshit. If anything, the Pros might get an upgraded MagSafe case this spring, that’s it. 
    fred1
  • Reply 5 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    It is passing strange Apple doesn’t release these types of products prior to Christmas. It is incredible enough seeing the number of airpods 2 being sold prior, if there was a new model there would be the upgrade sales as well.

I guess they weren’t ready.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    entropys said:
    It is passing strange Apple doesn’t release these types of products prior to Christmas. It is incredible enough seeing the number of airpods 2 being sold prior, if there was a new model there would be the upgrade sales as well.

I guess they weren’t ready.
    They still aren’t. This is a bullshit rumor. Do you believe everything you read?
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 7 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Fair point.  Maybe they will release them with the Apple tags and the AirPower mat.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    This is likely the rumored SE Plus. It will likely be identical the the SE only with a 5.5 inch LCD display for $449.
    edited January 2021 dinoone
  • Reply 9 of 11
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If next updated SE is similar to current look than Apple is trying to offer, juice out whatever it can from the lower cost iPhone. Who knows Apple may add 5G and keep price lower to attract cost conscious customers want to upgrade to 5G iPhone. But, if Apple makes noticeable changes like moving touch id to power button making edge to edge SE than different story. Never know until some solid leaks come out.
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Without feee speech, what are we?

Violent speech comes from all sides and all colors. 
    spock1234
  • Reply 11 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Anilu_777 said:
    Why another SE? We just got the 12 Mini
    Completely different customers. The SE has a price of $399 with the latest chip, but slightly older versions of other features. I helped both my parents (both 80+) set up their new SEs and I thought it was an awesome value.