Steve Jobs unveiled the first iPhone 17 years ago today

Comments

• Reply 41 of 74
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member

The Greatest Invention Of Mankind

Changed the world, created new industries, connected the world and still evolving.
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 42 of 74
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Although some none Apple users failed to recognize Jobs contribution, I firmly believe Jobs will be the top ten most influential person in history.
    ravnorodom
  • Reply 43 of 74
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,686member
    The similarities make not only the eventual transition easier, but also make the comparison easier; you pinch to zoom on your $120 Huawei nova 3i and it stutters and then, when it catches up to your intent, zooms too far because you, in exasperation, started repeating and excentuating your pinch gesture.  I’ve seen it on Hauwei, Samsung, Oppo and Vivo phones among friends and dates here in the Philippines.  Then you see your friend or co-worker on an old iPhone 4S (of which there are plenty here) pinch and zoom with real-time smooth response.  You’re sold.  You want to graduate.  Lol
    To be honest, I am stunned to see your comment mentioning about performance issue in a basic functionality in the android phones in 2020. I remember reading this exact same comment from you about 3 years back and tried it immediately in my moto g3 (SoC performance comparable to iphone 4s or 5) back then. No, I did NOT observe this basic functionality not working as intended in my phone back then. It was working properly. Even my close to 3-year old Moto g5 plus (SoC performance comparable to 5.5 years old iphone 6) is currently working properly without any performance issues.

I am sure Avon B7 will mention that he has NOT observed this issue EVER in his honor phone (honor 20 if I remember correctly) or his previous android phone(s) in the last 4-5 years. Android has come a long long way when it comes to performance and smoothness while using it in the last 3 to 4 years. I am not doubting your observation. Could it be a case of a buggy app?
    No. I've never seen that behaviour. 

My phone is an Honor 10 and even falls under Huawei's 'Born Fast, Stays Fast' claim. It hasn't slowed down at all. 

Everything is working fine after more than two years of permanent use. So much so that I have no need to even upgrade this year. 

Considering an iPhone at the time would have cost more than double and have half the storage, I consider it a great purchase. 

Anyone complaining that Android is in some way 'behind' iOS clearly hasn't used any modern Android variant.

Huawei's migration App will gladly give you the option to migrate from an iPhone too. 

Backups have always been a breeze wuth an OTG cable. Fast Charging out of the box etc
  • Reply 44 of 74
    citpeks said:
    Apple is secure now, but it's not the same hungry, risk taking company it was.
    I strongly disagree with this. Apple has done several things in the past few years that are in the same category of “the industry thinks that’s a dumb risky overpriced idea, the next Apple failure” that turn out to be the opposite.

Apple Watch
    AirPods
    Apple Silicon Macs

The first two were roundly criticized, even by Apple fans, as unnecessary and overpriced. But both are now very popular products and heavy contributors to bottom line growth, especially because both work best with Apple services, which is recurring subscription income, turning that into another contributor to bottom line growth. Like the iPhone and MacBook Air, now that AirPods are a success, the design of wireless earphones from other companies suddenly look suspiciously like AirPods. Because Apple took a big risk that changed the game...again.

Changing the processor architecture is something most computer makers would never consider doing. Apple did it twice in its “hungry, risk-taking” days, and once again now...just like the “hungry, risk-taking” days. If that wasn’t enough...if another computer company was to change processors, the chances are vanishingly small that it would be their own design. Yet that is the latest, and most radical, risk that Apple has taken today. Yet like the earlier Apple risks that we worship so much, Apple took the risk of the M1 switch because the potential rewards are so massively huge, and we are definitely seeing that in the astounding power per watt/power per dollar ratios that the M1 is bringing.

(and yes I went to several MacWorlds and owned a Power Computing desktop)
    edited January 2021 kiltedgreenjony0h4y3s
  • Reply 45 of 74
    Samsung had been making smart phones since the 90's and later the things like the Palm Treo refined the product.  The only thing the iPhone really introduced was the larger screen and replacing the stylus with a finger.
    That is factually incorrect. The iPhone introduced several innovations that are not covered by your comment.
    The stylus was not merely replaced by “a finger.” The iPhone screen supported multi-touch gestures. That was huge. Nobody else had it. Because, the entire concept of multi-touch was just a tech demo that wowed everybody a year earlier (watch the 2006 TED talk video of it by Jeff Han) and that used an entire table. Everybody who saw that talk assumed multi-touch desktop screens would not be a reality for a few years. Yet 12-13 months later, here is Apple giving you multi-touch...in a handset! A single point stylus cannot match multi-touch.

Some other iPhone innovations were not in the hardware but were purely Apple recognizing that the entire ecosystem needed a major overhaul to really unleash the potential of the device. Before the iPhone, the OS and apps were controlled by the carriers. Nobody thought much about OS updates for their phones, especially major OS upgrades that would radically improve the phone. That came with iPhone, because Apple took the unprecedented step to negotiate ownership and control of the phone OS. The only reason the carriers agreed was they thought the iPhone was going to be some niche that would not affect the industry much, but when the iPhone blew up, the carriers found they did not have control over this hugely successful device, and Apple suddenly had all this leverage that Samsung etc. did not. Similarly, when the iPhone finally allowed apps, Apple took the unprecedented step of wresting apps away from the carriers.

You might nitpick a point or two here and there, but the fact is that with the iPhone you had an overall new combination of innovation found nowhere else: A multitouch display, an OS that would get significant fixes and upgrades, and later a wide selection of third party apps that was not under the control of the any individual mobile carrier.
    edited January 2021 macpluspluselijahgdanoxkiltedgreenh4y3s
  • Reply 46 of 74
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Clarus said:
    citpeks said:
    Apple is secure now, but it's not the same hungry, risk taking company it was.
    I strongly disagree with this. Apple has done several things in the past few years that are in the same category of “the industry thinks that’s a dumb risky overpriced idea, the next Apple failure” that turn out to be the opposite.

Apple Watch
    AirPods
    Apple Silicon Macs
    None of those things were really risks. If they failed, the R&D write off would be barely a blip on their profits. If the iPhone failed, it would have been a disaster considering the vast R&D spend on it and Apple's relatively small size then. 
  • Reply 47 of 74
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Clarus said:
    Samsung had been making smart phones since the 90's and later the things like the Palm Treo refined the product.  The only thing the iPhone really introduced was the larger screen and replacing the stylus with a finger.
    That is factually incorrect. The iPhone introduced several innovations that are not covered by your comment.
    The stylus was not merely replaced by “a finger.” The iPhone screen supported multi-touch gestures. That was huge. Nobody else had it. Because, the entire concept of multi-touch was just a tech demo that wowed everybody a year earlier (watch the 2006 TED talk video of it by Jeff Han) and that used an entire table. Everybody who saw that talk assumed multi-touch desktop screens would not be a reality for a few years. Yet 12-13 months later, here is Apple giving you multi-touch...in a handset! A single point stylus cannot match multi-touch.

Some other iPhone innovations were not in the hardware but were purely Apple recognizing that the entire ecosystem needed a major overhaul to really unleash the potential of the device. Before the iPhone, the OS and apps were controlled by the carriers. Nobody thought much about OS updates for their phones, especially major OS upgrades that would radically improve the phone. That came with iPhone, because Apple took the unprecedented step to negotiate ownership and control of the phone OS. The only reason the carriers agreed was they thought the iPhone was going to be some niche that would not affect the industry much, but when the iPhone blew up, the carriers found they did not have control over this hugely successful device, and Apple suddenly had all this leverage that Samsung etc. did not. Similarly, when the iPhone finally allowed apps, Apple took the unprecedented step of wresting apps away from the carriers.

You might nitpick a point or two here and there, but the fact is that with the iPhone you had an overall new combination of innovation found nowhere else: A multitouch display, an OS that would get significant fixes and upgrades, and later a wide selection of third party apps that was not under the control of the any individual mobile carrier.
    You also made a factually incorrect statement. Initially the number one carrier refused to work with Apple. Only AT&T participated in the 2007 iPhone. 
  • Reply 48 of 74
    avon b7 said:
    The similarities make not only the eventual transition easier, but also make the comparison easier; you pinch to zoom on your $120 Huawei nova 3i and it stutters and then, when it catches up to your intent, zooms too far because you, in exasperation, started repeating and excentuating your pinch gesture.  I’ve seen it on Hauwei, Samsung, Oppo and Vivo phones among friends and dates here in the Philippines.  Then you see your friend or co-worker on an old iPhone 4S (of which there are plenty here) pinch and zoom with real-time smooth response.  You’re sold.  You want to graduate.  Lol
    To be honest, I am stunned to see your comment mentioning about performance issue in a basic functionality in the android phones in 2020. I remember reading this exact same comment from you about 3 years back and tried it immediately in my moto g3 (SoC performance comparable to iphone 4s or 5) back then. No, I did NOT observe this basic functionality not working as intended in my phone back then. It was working properly. Even my close to 3-year old Moto g5 plus (SoC performance comparable to 5.5 years old iphone 6) is currently working properly without any performance issues.

I am sure Avon B7 will mention that he has NOT observed this issue EVER in his honor phone (honor 20 if I remember correctly) or his previous android phone(s) in the last 4-5 years. Android has come a long long way when it comes to performance and smoothness while using it in the last 3 to 4 years. I am not doubting your observation. Could it be a case of a buggy app?

My phone is an Honor 10 and even falls under Huawei's 'Born Fast, Stays Fast' claim. It hasn't slowed down at all. 

Everything is working fine after more than two years of permanent use. So much so that I have no need to even upgrade this year. 

Considering an iPhone at the time would have cost more than double and have half the storage, I consider it a great purchase. 

Anyone complaining that Android is in some way 'behind' iOS clearly hasn't used any modern Android variant.

Huawei's migration App will gladly give you the option to migrate from an iPhone too. 

Backups have always been a breeze wuth an OTG cable. Fast Charging out of the box etc
    Yeah, yet, it's somewhat sad that not one of these knockoff artists can write their own OS software, don't you think?

Actually, it's somewhat pathetic...
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 49 of 74
    tzeshan said:
    You also made a factually incorrect statement. Initially the number one carrier refused to work with Apple. Only AT&T participated in the 2007 iPhone. 
    This...is exactly why the last paragraph of my post said  “ You might nitpick a point or two here and there.” I kind of figured it was going to happen. Point taken, I should have written “carrier” instead of “carriers”...but that nitpicky point is insignificant, because it doesn’t negate the rest of the post. I’m well aware that the original deal was only with Cingular, who became AT&T. As my post said, when the iPhone got big, the carriers found they did not have the control they usually had, and taking your point into account, it didn’t matter whether they were the one carrier who signed up in the beginning, or the carriers who came on later; it was the same result: Apple’s strategic chess move kept all of them away from control of the OS and apps running on iPhone, an unprecedented move in mobile.
    h4y3s
  • Reply 50 of 74
    Hope apple, google and Facebook can impose the restriction on those Pro Beijing Parties and Company. They use the freedom of speech in U.S to suppress the others.
  • Reply 51 of 74
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,686member
    avon b7 said:

Yeah, yet, it's somewhat sad that not one of these knockoff artists can write their own OS software, don't you think?

Actually, it's somewhat pathetic...
    They can, and do write their own software. Android is a base system onto which other layers are added (and GMS if necessary). 

Often, those layers are not simple skins, they have very deep hooks into the system.

When Huawei made that 'Born Fast, Stays Fast' promise, which makes extensive use of AI, it was because it had access to its very own AI runtime tuned to its very own chipset design. The good thing is that third parties weren't required to use it because it ran alongside other AI runtimes (including Google's). It takes advantage of Huawei's own hardware/software stack that scales from earbuds (Ascend Nano) through phones right up to supercomputing clusters (running thousands of Ascend Max cores).

That is one of the huge advantages of Android and why blanket statements like yours are not really correct. Android is a base system and really does not make too much sense to reinvent a wheel, which provided a lot of inspiration to iOS 14.

That is of course unless you are forced to reinvent the wheel due to politics. Hence Huawei Mobile Services/HarmonyOS. 

There is literally a ton of code that has nothing to do with Google and much of it is core code for the phones it runs on.

Even now, without HarmonyOS running on any phone, parts of HarmonyOS are actually running core aspects of Huawei phones. Security for example.

HarmonyOS will maintain Android compatibility but has more APIs than Android and has already cleared some of the highest bars in certified security terms. It is already running on TVs, routers, cars etc. Soon it will be deployed to mobile phones to continue its development course. A lot of EMUI will be lifted from the current Google base and transferred to HarmonyOS. 

A hardware abstracted distributed virtual bus approach consisting of over a thousand modules will see devices pooling their capabilities to provide even higher levels of functionality and security.

It will be open sourced and offered to other handset, car and IoT/IoV manufacturers.

That will probably be about as far from pathetic as you can get (even taking into account all the teething problems which will no doubt arise). For example HarmonyOS has already resolved a key development issue on cars (landscape and portrait support). 
    edited January 2021 elijahgh4y3s
  • Reply 52 of 74
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Clarus said:

Before the iPhone, the OS and apps were controlled by the carriers. 

OS maybe, but not the apps.  There were app stores available to get apps for your phones
  • Reply 53 of 74
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    There are a few times when you see something, you know in your gut that this is the future, and you do something small or big to be a part of it.

I saw that presentation and knew that I needed to toss my Palm Pilot out a window the day this thing came out. Six months later, I stood in line in the sweltering Florida heat to pay $500 (a LOT of money for me at the time) to get mine. I still have it, though of course my current iPhone is a XR. It was a life-changing device and has enhanced my life ever since, just like the Macs I've owned have done.

If you're not an iPhone user and prefer some other company's version of it, that's fine -- but you'd be a fool to deny that every modern cellphone is based on the changes wrought by Apple with that first iPhone.
    muthuk_vanalingamtmaykiltedgreenjony0h4y3s
  • Reply 54 of 74
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    jfanning said:
    Clarus said:

Before the iPhone, the OS and apps were controlled by the carriers. 

OS maybe, but not the apps.  There were app stores available to get apps for your phones
    The “app stores” here in Germany were invariably controlled by cellular carriers, since phones were almost always issued by the carriers and locked to authorised/preinstalled software. 
  • Reply 55 of 74
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Loved the commercials! And Justin Long as a doctor in Idiocracy.
  • Reply 56 of 74
    This is a really memorable event.

edited January 2022
  • Reply 57 of 74
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,858member
    This is quite easily the greatest consumer product I've owned. By far.

And, I still can't believe the value that it created for my stock portfolio in the past 12 years, which, in turn, enabled me to do a lot of things that I otherwise could not have.
    True, and the M-Series will do the same for your portfolio in time….
    h4y3s
  • Reply 58 of 74
    Clarus said:

The desktop level OS on the iPhone put Apple years ahead and to this day, underneath Android is still a piss poor experience similar to living with that lousy Ribbons U.I. on Microsoft Windows and the mishmash of body parts inside a Wintel computer.

A in house OS plus a in house SOC cpu = Disruption and big profits for Apple, and also equals another big investment opportunity served up to Apple-insiders who by now should know better and invest in Apple (Seeking Alpha is not needed)…..
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 59 of 74
    avon b7 said:

Android is Windows on a phone a bad OS and a chop-shop of body parts with a shorter short lifespan.

Google is the one paying Apple 10-15 BILLION PER YEAR FOR A DEFAULT POSITION.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 60 of 74
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,008member
    It's on these anniversaries that I like to remind the folks who constantly whinge about Apple's 'ho-hum incremental updates' each year that this thing is still only 15 years old. The original iPhone was a huge leap forward, and the iPhone 13 currently available makes the first one seem downright quaint. The 13 has an app store, GPS, LiDAR, access to the world's movies, television and music, some of which is in available in Dolby Atmos surround sound via wireless earbuds, a sharp, bright screen, cameras that can be used convincingly to make feature films, CarPlay, etc., etc. That first iPhone keynote was remarkable, but imagine if Jobs had said, "This is only the beginning, and in just 15 years, the iPhone will be able to do all these other things..." And another thing,indeed.
    danox