Ear cushions not included with AirPods Max warranty replacements

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
On Monday, a report details Apple's warranty repair policy for AirPods Max, noting the company does not supply an extra set of ear cushions if the device needs to be replaced.

AirPods Max

Damien Menn recently discovered Apple's replacement protocol when requesting warranty service for a faulty Digital Crown, reports 9to5Mac.

Illustrated in a tweet, Apple informs users to remove AirPods Max's ear cushions before sending the unit in for repair.

The replacement device arrives in a form-fitting insert and is fitted with special fiber pouches to protect the ear cups that contain sensitive components like drivers, sensors, and circuit boards. A pamphlet included in the package instructs users to remove the original cushions that came with their AirPods Max, slip on the fiber baggies and stow them securely for the return shipment.

Fortunately for the user, AirPods Max cushions are held on with magnets and are easy to remove and install.

The repair practice deviates from guidelines for other accessories like AirPods Pro, replacements of which come with a new set of silicone ear tips. However, it should be noted that the $69-a-pair AirPods Max ear cushions are considerably more expensive than the $8 fittings included with its smaller sibling.

Of course, ear cushions will be replaced under warranty if that specific part is flawed.

AirPods Max cushions have been regularly out of stock since the device went up for sale in December. Supply of the popular over-the-ear headphone is trickling in to select Apple Store locations, though online orders are still showing severely delayed ship times that arrive in March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    I find this incredibly hard it believe. 

You would have to be completely guileless to buy this product.
    elijahgchemengin1
  • Reply 2 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Makes sense to me.
    dewmemike1
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I wonder, does AppleCare+ cover them?

• Reply 4 of 13
    Another reason besides the sound quality verses price argument not to buy these things. 
    chemengin1
  • Reply 5 of 13
    entropys said:

I don’t understand why you would have to be guileless. I bought them and they are fantastic. Their build quality is second to none and they sound amazing to my ears. Despite the reviews I’ve read, the clarity, balance, ANC, and soundstage rival Sony, which I also owned and did a side-by-side until returning the Sony’s. 

It makes total sense for them not to replace the ear cups if they aren’t faulty. They come right off. 

edited January 2021 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    h4y3s said:
    I wonder, does AppleCare+ cover them?

From the article “ Of course, ear cushions will be replaced under warranty if that specific part is flawed. ”

I'm not understanding the upset. All this is saying is that if the ear cushions are not the faulty part then you don't need to send them back with the headphones when you send them for repair. Which makes sense, they'd add unecessary bulk to the mail.
    mike1ronnRayz2016StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    It’s a clickbait-y headline that implies the war cups aren’t covered under warranty when in fact they are. 

In other breaking news, Apple doesn’t replace your watch band when the Apple Watch fails. 

Fire up the outrage machine!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,693member
    crowley said:
    Makes sense to me.
    Me too. 
    dewmeflydogmike1muthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 9 of 13
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    entropys said:

So you atre now a member of the “Only stupid people buy Apple products” cult.
    ronnmacguiStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    entropys said:

It's hard to belive that components that aren't broken aren't replaced?

When your transmission blows up under warranty, do you demand that the car dealer also replace the entire interior with brand new seats and carpet?

Seriously, wtf is wrong with people. 
    mike1ronnStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    avon b7 said:
    crowley said:
    Makes sense to me.
    Me too. 

Me three.
    Like expecting Honda to replace your seats because of a transmission repair.

Edit: LOL, I hadn't seen Flydog's comment right above mine, until after because I replied to an earlier post. I guess it is a good analogy, though.
    edited January 2021 ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    entropys said:

Why?  I have had Airpods Pro replaced 2x under warranty. They replaced what was faulty.. the Airpods themselves. There was no issue with the wireless charging case?  Why would they replace that?

ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    entropys said:

I find the comment from this author to be completely predictable and as much in error. It makes sense to replace ear pads on others' headphones because they typically aren't a user replaceable part.

When sending in AirPods Max in for warranty work or replacement, it's an extraordinarily easy exercise to remove the non-defective part and send it in.

You wouldn't expect Apple to replace your charger if your iPhone 11 was defective, would you? You would have to be completely clueless to give the above FUD any merit.
    ronnwatto_cobra