Top Mac keyboards to complete your work from home setup

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2021
A MacBook Air or MacBook Pro are great for remote work, but sometimes you just want to sprawl out on a desk -- or own a Mac desktop and have to have an external keyboard. Here are the top five keyboards that we like the most, when you're working from home or just want an upgrade to your office setup.

Top keyboards to buy for your Mac
Top keyboards to buy for your Mac

After nearly a year of lockdowns and work from home it's time to consider a keyboard update. A new keyboard with newer technology, better ergonomics, and a modern design could go a long way to improve your comfort and complete your desk's look. AppleInsider has gathered some of the best keyboard options for the everyday Mac user.

Keychron K2

Mechanical keyboards have become very popular among typists and gamers. The selection of multiple key types, custom layouts, and endless key customization make mechanical keyboards easy to recommend.

Keychron has perhaps the best Mac-centric mechanical keyboard options out there. No matter which Keychron you choose, you'll get strong materials, multiple device pairing, and changeable keycaps.

Keychron K2
Keychron K2

Keychron K2 is the most popular model the company offers. It has a compact tenkeyless layout with Cherry MX switches. You can order red, blue, or brown switch variants too.

The keyboard can be customized with several options that do not add too much to the overall cost. You can upgrade to an aluminum frame, RGB backlight, and hot-swappable keys when buying.

The Keychron K2 can connect via an included USB-C cable or over Bluetooth. You can register three devices to connect and switch between them with a keyboard shortcut. Keychron says the battery lasts 72 hours between charges.

The RGB model can switch between 15 lighting modes using the dedicated key. Users can further customize each lighting mode by changing the color using a function key.

Switch between a Windows and Mac layout with a switch on the side of the keyboard. Another switch will toggle between Bluetooth, wired, and power-off modes.

Our review of the Keychron K2 has been positive with each release. AppleInsider reviewed the Keychron K2 and gave it a 4.5 out of 5.

Configurations and Prices

Each keyboard listed has a key switch selected. You can select different switch types in the configurator on Amazon or Keychron's website.

Satechi Slim

The latest keyboards from Satechi will complement your Mac setup with a clean aluminum design and modern technology. Satechi took cues from Apple's design language and added their own touches to make this a familiar but powerful keyboard option.

There are multiple configurations available, two wired and two wireless. The wireless keyboards can connect to multiple devices and switch with a keypress.

Satechi Slim X1
Satechi Slim X1

The Satechi Slim X1 and Satechi Slim X3 are essentially the same keyboards with minor differences. The Satechi Slim X1 is a compact keyboard with the ability to switch between three devices. The Satechi Slim X3 is an extended layout with a number pad and can switch between four devices.

These keyboards charge via USB-C for simplicity. Satechi does not quote a battery life on the product page, but its previous keyboards lasted around 80 hours on a charge. This has likely stayed the same for the upgraded keyboards.

If you've used the Apple Magic Keyboard in the past, the Satechi Slim line will feel instantly familiar. These keyboards are your best bet for an Apple-like typing experience with modern upgrades.

Logitech MX Keys Advanced Wireless Illuminated Keyboard

Logitech MX Keys
Logitech MX Keys

This wireless Logitech model's keys have concave indentations for your fingertips. This can increase your comfort and add to the feeling of responsiveness.

It includes a full number pad and key labels for both macOS and Windows. The keyboard can connect to multiple devices simultaneously, allowing you to enter the same text on, for example, a work PC and home MacBook Pro.

The keyboard includes proximity sensors that can automatically turn on backlighting when it detects your hands.

While it doesn't include a wired option, you can use the keyboard through either a direct Bluetooth connection or the included wireless USB receiver.

We gave MX Keys 4.5 stars in our review.

Logitech's MX Keys costs $99.19 on Amazon.

Logitech Ergo K860

Logitech Ergo K860
Logitech Ergo K860

The Logitech K860 slopes up and down in a wave-like formation to improve ergonomics. The idea is to reduce strain on your wrists and forearms, making it easier to relax your shoulders and hands.

Sticking with the comfort theme, it also includes a built-in palm lift with adjustable tilt. Its keys also have a slightly concave design for added finger comfort.

The keyboard supports both direct Bluetooth connections and an included wireless USB receiver.

The Ergo K860 costs $122 on Amazon.

Apple Magic Keyboard

We wanted to include the Apple Magic Keyboard as an honorable mention. While there are arguably better keyboards out there, this is the go-to for Apple purists.

You can purchase the Magic Keyboard with or without a number pad and both are available in silver. The space gray color is exclusive to the Magic Keyboard with number pad.

Apple Magic Keyboard
Apple Magic Keyboard

Apple's Magic Keyboard has not been updated in years, but it holds strong as one of the most popular keyboards for Mac users. It uses the old scissor-switch mechanism and can be used over Bluetooth or with a Lightning cable. The internal battery in either size can last a month or more between charges.

Despite not being upgraded for years, Apple still charges a premium for the Magic Keyboard. Its industrial-aluminum design, and minimal key travel have been met by competitors at lower prices.

That being said, if you're ok with paying a premium for Apple products, you'll keep your desktop setup pure-Apple with this simple keyboard.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Not liking any of these.

What I am looking for should be really simple:
    1- Wireless BT keyboard with the ability to plug in via some form of USB to use as a wired keyboard. Every once in a while you need to be able to plug in a keyboard- not having that capability is just cheaping out.
    2- User replaceable battery- I have Eneloops (Panasonic/ Sanyo previously) like Apple used to sell under their own name that I can easily recharge and replace when they get old.
    3- Backlighting with a proximity sensor.

Funny how a $30 keyboard gets a cheap BT module and a battery and jumps to $100. I do not mind paying, but the prices of keyboards is kind of ridiculous. Especially considering that these are made in low wage factories.
    tokyojimuwilliamlondondewme
  • Reply 2 of 12
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    davgreg said:
    Not liking any of these.

1- Wireless BT keyboard with the ability to plug in via some form of USB to use as a wired keyboard. Every once in a while you need to be able to plug in a keyboard- not having that capability is just cheaping out.
    2- User replaceable battery- I have Eneloops (Panasonic/ Sanyo previously) like Apple used to sell under their own name that I can easily recharge and replace when they get old.

Funny how a $30 keyboard gets a cheap BT module and a battery and jumps to $100. I do not mind paying, but the prices of keyboards is kind of ridiculous. Especially considering that these are made in low wage factories.
    I agree. If I could, I'd still buy the wired USB keyboard that came with my 2011 iMac. Mine is 10 years old and still working perfectly. It never needs charging and has auxiliary USB ports on the side that are far more convenient that the ones behind the iMac.

You might check out Otherworld computing (https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accessories/keyboards) They have several keyboards that might do a better job of meeting your requirements.
    williamlondonboboliciouswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 12
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    I have the Satechi slim X3 and matching mouse. The mouse only connects to one Mac at a time.
    the battery life is very good and yes it is very Apple like in build and feel. I like it.

Would I recommend it? Well maybe, maybe not. The only hesitancy I have is that at work I was given a dell premier wireless keyboard and mouse. The combo works out half the price of the Satechi set up, looks just as good, and the Dell mouse not only looks cool it feels better. It also can switch between computers easily. Both keyboard and mouse, in addition to Bluetooth have a wireless connection option via a dongle if Bt is playing up. I would recommend the dell, hard as that is for me to do. Dell makes good monitors and accessories.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 12
    I use the Logitech MX keyboard and mouse but every time I restart my M1 Mac Mini, they are disconnected and I have to use a wired mouse/keyboard to login. Very inconvenient an frustrating. 
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    I have the Ergo K860 that I relaxed my Apple Magic Keyboard with. It’s amazing. Best keyboard I’ve ever used. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    OferOfer Posts: 240unconfirmed, member
    I have the Keychron K3 (got it through their Kickstarter). It’s an awesome low-profile mechanical keyboard. It also looks a lot better in person than the pictures. It looks absolutely horrendous in their photos. The only thing missing is a utility to program the RGB backlighting pattern (which most keyboards with RGB backlighting offer). Other than that, perfect.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    It should be noted that there are two versions of the MX Keys, the one pictured in this story, with the PC labels, extra Fn key on the right of the space bar, and PC numeric keypad.  The Mac-specific version fully adheres to Apple's layout, omits the PC labels,, and is grey in color, and is the one in the linked review here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    MplsP said:
    davgreg said:
    Not liking any of these.

I agree. If I could, I'd still buy the wired USB keyboard that came with my 2011 iMac. Mine is 10 years old and still working perfectly. It never needs charging and has auxiliary USB ports on the side that are far more convenient that the ones behind the iMac.

You might check out Otherworld computing (https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accessories/keyboards) They have several keyboards that might do a better job of meeting your requirements.
    I was wondering how AI leaves Matias out of this conversation? For those that don’t know, Matias Tactile Pro Keyboard is built from the same keyswitch technology that Apple used in its original Apple Extended Keyboard. You want a mechanical keyboard? You owe it to yourself to check out the TactilePro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    citpeks said:
    It should be noted that there are two versions of the MX Keys, the one pictured in this story, with the PC labels, extra Fn key on the right of the space bar, and PC numeric keypad.  The Mac-specific version fully adheres to Apple's layout, omits the PC labels,, and is grey in color, and is the one in the linked review here.
    I noticed that when I was browsing.  Seems a bity odd, there's a model that supports both Mac and Windows, with dual function keys clearly labelled; so why produce a Mac-only version.  I couldn't find a Windows only version, which surely you'd expect to be the bigger use case.

• Reply 10 of 12
    The Apple magic keyboard looks very elegant and holds its charge for an impressively long while, yet it somehow has the uncomfortable, 'clickety-clack', unresponsive feel of the ill-fated butterfly keyboard (which I realize it's not, so spare me). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 12
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    crowley said:
    citpeks said:
    I noticed that when I was browsing.  Seems a bity odd, there's a model that supports both Mac and Windows, with dual function keys clearly labelled; so why produce a Mac-only version.  I couldn't find a Windows only version, which surely you'd expect to be the bigger use case.

The black one is the Windows version, that also happens to be cross compatible with Macs, if desired.

As far as the Mac version, there are those who prefer a straight Mac keyboard, with the true Apple layout, and free of any extraneous markings or extra keys.  That takes cost and effort, so they should be applauded for it.  Most manufacturers just start with a typical generic PC keyboard design, add some markings, and call it a Mac keyboard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 12
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    davgreg said:
    Not liking any of these.

1 - Keychron does this.
    2- Logitech has some, but they aren't amazing keyboards. K480 is like this. It's AAA powered, super portable, but not a very nice-to-type-on keyboard. It's a little mushy.
    3- Keychron has backlighting, but they don't do proximity. They have several different lighting schemes, but the one I use runs the key bed at a very low light, and increases it for keys that have been pressed.

How a 30 dollar keyboard increases in price: Batteries add tons of complexity. You have to include a charge controller to manage the batteries, you have to have the battery certified so that it can be transported (UNDOT, CE, UL, etc.), and have all the usual catching-on-fire problems to design around. The cost doesn't just go up because they can raise it, it's a lot more complex of a product.