Leaked iPad Pro design images confirm few changes

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
CAD renders of the forthcoming 11-inch iPad Pro show that outwardly there will be only the smallest differences from the last model.

Apple's 11-inch iPad Pro
Apple's 11-inch iPad Pro

Newly leaked CAD design renders appear to back up recent reports that the next iPad Pro will see no major changes. The designs illustrations are for the 11-inch iPad Pro and show only two minor physical differences from the 2020 edition.

According to 91mobile, the 2021 11-inch iPad Pro will be the same thickness, but the length and breadth will be "some millimeters" shorter. The device's speaker grills are reported to be smaller than before, too.

Apple is expected to announce the next iPad Pro models in March. It's reported that the 12.9-inch iPad Pro will feature a Mini LED screen.

That addition of Mini LED components may reportedly mean that the 12.9-inch iPad Pro will have to be 0.5mm thicker than the 2020 model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Who cares? The real question: will people upgrading (especially from the 2018 model, where it may be more tempting to do so) have to buy another, expensive MagicKeyboard, or will the new versions fit? “Some mm” can make a big difference, in these regards...
    davgregwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    That the overall design won't change is not a surprise. I'm waiting to hear about the features. Will it be enough better to warrant the premium over the iPA from last fall. When I got my existing iPP the Apple Pencil was the big separation. I wanted one so I had to go Pro. Now it's not so clearcut.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    DAalseth said:
    That the overall design won't change is not a surprise. I'm waiting to hear about the features. Will it be enough better to warrant the premium over the iPA from last fall. When I got my existing iPP the Apple Pencil was the big separation. I wanted one so I had to go Pro. Now it's not so clearcut.
    On the current IPP the biggest difference of the IPA is Touch ID on the power button. I'd expect the  2021 iPad Pro to have a substantial processor upgrade over the previous (2020) IPP which should also be the major difference over the IPA.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I am not sure a major redesign of the device is necessary. The design of the device is already in its purest and best form. Both the iPhone 12 Pro and the iPad Pro represent the best possible design for their function.

Short of some groundbreaking new battery tech and see though holographic displays, I am not sure there is much to change here.

Now the internals are another matter. If the internals can be upgraded to say the M1 chip or something like that, then we would have something truly compelling.

Can you imagine an iPad Pro with the M1 SOC?
    canukstormrazorpitStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Come on Apple, skip the Mini LED screen and go to the Micro LED screen technology or go full with OLED(cut down on battery life I know) screen.  How about  a modernized styled iPad Mini?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    byronlbyronl Posts: 362member
    the A14X will be pretty similar to the M1
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Imma upgrade from my 10.5 iPP and receive a desirable processor upgrade and the accompanying neural engine.  Wish I could bring the 3.5 headphone jack with me, and I don’t mind bezels. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Typing on the current large iPad Pro

I am interested in seeing what 5G support will be available. Otherwise I will wait this cycle out.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    It’s difficult to do much with the iPad. The button is the only major for factor change they can tinker with. Everything else is pretty trivial (slightly thinner bezels, different speaker grilles, .3 mm thinner.... meh)
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I am not sure a major redesign of the device is necessary. The design of the device is already in its purest and best form. Both the iPhone 12 Pro and the iPad Pro represent the best possible design for their function.

Short of some groundbreaking new battery tech and see though holographic displays, I am not sure there is much to change here.

Now the internals are another matter. If the internals can be upgraded to say the M1 chip or something like that, then we would have something truly compelling.

Can you imagine an iPad Pro with the M1 SOC?
    Not sure what you're talking about. The iPad already has "something like" the M1 chip: it's the A-series chips, which involve the same tech as the M1, but customized for the power supply available in an iPad and the needs of an iPad. iPads already have what you're asking for, and they have for years now. You just weren't aware of just how much performance was already in the iPad.
    watto_cobra