Samsung inadvertently uses iPhone to tweet Galaxy Unpacked promo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Samsung committed a tech faux pas on Wednesday when it issued a promotional tweet from an iPhone, the flagship handset made by a smartphone market arch rival.

Samsung iPhone Tweet

The South Korean tech giant posted a teaser of its upcoming Unpacked hardware event to a Twitter account run by Samsung Mobile's U.S. division.

"With #SamsungUnpacked drawing closer, we're working hard to bring you some exciting news. Which field of innovation and advancement are you hoping to see us reveal?" Samsung asks in the tweet.

An innocuous message, it was the tweet's mode of delivery that has caused a bit of a stir online. Whoever posted the short missive to Samsung's account used an iPhone, an almost unforgivable offense (or hilarious gaffe) in the eyes of diehard fans.

Brand ambassadors for a number of large smartphone makers have been caught touting products and services from iPhone on a multiple occasions, but slip ups from company officials are a rarity. In 2013, for example, tennis star David Ferrer used his iPhone to send a laudatory tweet about his Galaxy S4. That same year, former T-Mobile CEO John Legere extolled the Galaxy Note 3, but did so from iPhone.

More recently, Ksenia Sobchak, who was paid to endorse Samsung products, was reportedly sued by the company in 2018 for using an iPhone X in public.

Samsung is expected to launch new Galaxy S21 models at the Unpacked event on Jan. 14. The high-end smartphones are predicted to include 6.7-inch and 6.8-inch OLED displays, S-Pen support, Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 SoC or Samsung's Exynos 2100 SoCs and other premium components in a bid to compete with Apple's iPhone 12 series.
right_said_fredcornchip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    The conspiracy theorist in me almost wonders if they have people tweet from iPhones for the additional coverage it generates.

Aside from an earlier mention here on AI about the event, there probably wouldn't have been another mention of the event until it happened, but now... here we are talking about it, or here I am commenting about it anyway. 😅

💭 "maybe... I'll got see what the S21 is about and maybe I'll switch..."

/s

(iPhone 12 mini 🤘)
    right_said_fredwatto_cobracornchipols
  • Reply 2 of 16
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Innovation revealed:  their battery was dead because a charger was dropped from the package.
    razorpitwatto_cobraBeatsolsjony0
  • Reply 3 of 16
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    Simply they use the best for their personal life and for their work: the iPhone. Sometime they didn’t cover it because they don’t pay attention. It can happens. 
    tobianwatto_cobraSamsonikkolshcrefugeejony0Beats
  • Reply 4 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Awfully long history of "accidents" with them ...
    Bombdoewatto_cobraStrangeDaysolsjony0Beats
  • Reply 5 of 16
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    Some poor marketing minion better polish their resumé. 
    CloudTalkinwatto_cobraSamsonikkcornchipolshcrefugeejony0Beats
  • Reply 6 of 16
    It is kind of folklore for Samsung :D
    watto_cobracornchipjony0Beats
  • Reply 7 of 16
    tobiantobian Posts: 148member
    let me join and Laugh Out Loud 😂😂 this made my day 😁
    watto_cobraSamsonikkjony0Beats
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Considering how much they examine and emulate the iPhone, I guess it’s best to stick with what you know!
    lkruppwatto_cobraTRAGjony0Beats
  • Reply 9 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    To paraphrase the common retort of Samsung/Android lemmings, “Only stupid people buy Samsung products.”

There, I fixed it.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobraolsjony0Beats
  • Reply 10 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

gremlin said:
    Considering how much they examine and emulate the iPhone, I guess it’s best to stick with what you know.

:D 
    watto_cobraBeats
  • Reply 11 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    I love this story....truly.  Assuming it's not an intentional thing, nothing demonstrates Samsung's ape-ing of Apple more.  
    SamsonikkBeats
  • Reply 12 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    For sure it's funny, but it's good that Samsung gives employees some choice about the devices they use.  I can imagine other companies being less gracious.
    jony0
  • Reply 13 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Also, though it's not a big deal, I'm not sure I like that Twitter broadcasts what device you're using, for no reason other than it can.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 16
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    crowley said:
    Also, though it's not a big deal, I'm not sure I like that Twitter broadcasts what device you're using, for no reason other than it can.
    True, that is a little interesting. 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    lol this happens every year it seems
    jony0Beats
  • Reply 16 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Samsung employees can afford real iPhones?!?!!!

SHOCKED!!

(happens all the time.)
    jony0