AppleInsider answers all your HomePod mini questions

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    omasouomasou Posts: 564member
    omasou said:
    I was in on  these until I saw “no line-out”. If I can’t play my turntable through them, then I will stick with Sonos. 
    You would instead use a product like this to stream from traditional equipment...https://www.bowerswilkins.com/formation/audio

Interesting. Good looking out. The price is way up there but it looks like an awesome component so would be worth it if I decide to go with HomePod minis. Now the question I look forward to being answered is how do they compare sound-wise with Sonos. 

Yes, expensive but people listening at this level usually have setups costing way more than these pieces. Also keep an eye out the line goes on sale regularly.

There isn't a comparison. Find a Best Buy and listen to any of the Formation speakers.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 36
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    With respect to competitor; don't have a problem paying more for the Apple products like Homepod Mini but it should have if not more but same important features as competitors. For example, Bluetooth audio stream from your iphone/ipod to homepod mini. What about standalone speaker for AppleTV box ?
    edited October 2020
  • Reply 23 of 36
    wood1208 said:
    With respect to competitor; don't have a problem paying more for the Apple products like Homepod Mini but it should have if not more but same important features as competitors. For example, Bluetooth audio stream from your iphone/ipod to homepod mini. What about standalone speaker for AppleTV box ?
    The audio quality of BT music streaming is far inferior to AirPlay. AirPlay handshakes over BT then streams over WiFi. Better bandwidth == better quality. Also makes is possible to stream to any device connected to WiFi. BT limited to what ~30ft.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    HomePod was first released in February 2018 and now it is being made compatible with Dolby Atmos with Apple TV 4k? It seems that Apple has been slow to seriously consider Home Theatre use for Homepods? This Apple TV dates from 2017 and is due for replacement anytime. Given the large investment in content for Apple TV shows I'm surprised that the Apple TV and HomePod seem to be lagging behind?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    trackeroz said:
    cvc said:
    Regarding what the power cord looks like, the tech specs on the website says that there is a 20 watt power adapter in the box. It doesn’t say there is a separate cord included so it’s probably hardwired on one end or the other
    I am pretty sure they have declared it as ISB-C on the cord end.
    Apple has not. MacRumors says it is, and while it seems like a reasonable assumption, I haven't been able to confirm it yet.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 36

Szamna said:

I was thinking on getting a HomePod, would you recommend me to wait for a HomePod 2 or getting two minis? I'm concern about the chip and new features.

At this point, my recommendation is to wait until the HomePod mini ships. We can all figure it out together.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 36

hentaiboy said:
    Q: Can you use Intercom between households?
    This feature is probably related to iCloud and family sharing, more than local networking, given that it can also be used to call somebody using CarPlay.

So, theoretically, yes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 36
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    rob53 said:
    So it sounds like you can only use two HomePods of any size for home theater use. No rear speakers or even a center speaker or woofer, the two HomePods will do everything.

Is this correct?

Do they actually handle enough of the sound to produce real surround sound or is this simply a gimmick?

I don't think having surround sound is a matter of volume but of acoustics.
    In surround sound you are surrounded by speakers.  In a 'conventional' 5 channel set-up that means a center channel, 2 front facing stereo speakers and 2 rear stereo speakers all working in harmony and, in some cases, the rear speakers are delayed by milliseconds to imitate the sound from a concert hall.   Years ago Bose tried to replicate that level of acoustics using only two speaker cabinets where each had individual speakers directed at the side walls to bounce the sound off the side and rear walls to try to produce a semblance of surround sound.   But, I seriously doubt any two speakers could ever fully replace a 5 speaker system -- at least not to a serious audiophile, no matter how much volume it pumped out.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    I love this thing! But you watch....some idiot candle manufacturer(s) will sue Apple for “stealing” “their” design❗️
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 36
    *Everything Apple* is overpriced for what it is. 
    Fixed that for you ;)
  • Reply 31 of 36
    trackeroz said:
    cvc said:
    Regarding what the power cord looks like, the tech specs on the website says that there is a 20 watt power adapter in the box. It doesn’t say there is a separate cord included so it’s probably hardwired on one end or the other
    Apple has not. MacRumors says it is, and while it seems like a reasonable assumption, I haven't been able to confirm it yet.
    What about this?
    https://www.apple.com/environment/pdf/products/homepod/HomePod_mini_PER_Oct2020.pdf
    On the last page they clearly mention Apple 20W USB Power Adapter and the only one available is the Apple 20W USB-C Power Adapter
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MHJA3AM/A/20w-usb-c-power-adapter

The recently emerged braided USB-C to Lightning cable might be a good match to the HomePod mini then, since it looks quite right the one on the original HomePod
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/09/24/new-images-show-braided-usb-c-to-lightning-cable-potentially-for-iphone-12

Will the HomePod mini have a Lightning connector just like an iPhone?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 36
    I've had two HomePod's in my bedroom for 6 months now. 

Cons: Siri - Love the privacy and the integration, but Siri is a constant disappointment.

Pros:
       Incredible with movies and even some TV shows. I've been re-watching Star Trek Discovery and Picard episodes because the sound is so luscious. It's not true surround sound, but it often feels like there's an audio continuum. Pointing to "where that sound came from" seldom leads directly to one speaker or another.
       The music sound stage is also rather incredible. I'm into intricate classical music and jazz. It doesn't sound like 2 x $200 speakers. They aren't $5000 speakers either, but they definitely punch above their weight with surprisingly little distortion.

There's a huge difference between one HomePod and two, paired in a room. Some music passages are delivered so well that I've had to rewind because I think I can actually hear a particular string on a cello and point to it.

I wouldn't expect the same from a HomePod mini but, other than Siri, I have not been disappointed with my HomePods.
    watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 36
    MichaelP said:
    trackeroz said:
    cvc said:
    What about this?
    https://www.apple.com/environment/pdf/products/homepod/HomePod_mini_PER_Oct2020.pdf
    On the last page they clearly mention Apple 20W USB Power Adapter and the only one available is the Apple 20W USB-C Power Adapter
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MHJA3AM/A/20w-usb-c-power-adapter

The recently emerged braided USB-C to Lightning cable might be a good match to the HomePod mini then, since it looks quite right the one on the original HomePod
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/20/09/24/new-images-show-braided-usb-c-to-lightning-cable-potentially-for-iphone-12

Will the HomePod mini have a Lightning connector just like an iPhone?
    That's a new publication today, thanks for that.

That said, we're 90% certain that the cable is about the same as the one on the larger HomePod. Technically removable, but not practically removable, so probably not Lightning.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 36
    cvc said:
    We're sure it's hardwired, in a similar fashion to the one on the HomePod (socket, but not convenient to the user). What we're not sure about yet is what the brick or cable looks like. We'll see.
    According to MR, the cable ends in a USB-C connector and ships with a 20W brick in the box.  If that's the case, plugged into a 10000mAh power bank, the Mini could be truly portable.  An industrious-type person could conceivably design a small cylindrical power bank (with wrap around cable management as a base/stand) and have a modicum of success I think.  

Yes I too remember reading the cable will be USB-C also, with an included power adapter. How did AI miss that detail? I hope they update their post to avoid confusion.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Intercom question: if I put the Minis in my kids' rooms, can I send an Intercom message to them from my watch/iPhone, or would I also need a mini in our kitchen and other rooms? In our kitchen we have ceiling speakers connected to Sonos, so I don't really want to put a device on the counter that would only be used for the odd message. In our other rooms we also have Sonos speakers, so again the Minis probably wouldn't be used for music at all, just Siri.

My 2 cents: I know it would ruin the look, but I wish the Mini had a clock in it, then it could completely replace bedside table clock radios and speakers in all the bedrooms in our house. I don't want to have this and a clock radio on my bedside table.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    stevemebs said:
    Intercom question: if I put the Minis in my kids' rooms, can I send an Intercom message to them from my watch/iPhone, or would I also need a mini in our kitchen and other rooms? In our kitchen we have ceiling speakers connected to Sonos, so I don't really want to put a device on the counter that would only be used for the odd message. In our other rooms we also have Sonos speakers, so again the Minis probably wouldn't be used for music at all, just Siri.

My 2 cents: I know it would ruin the look, but I wish the Mini had a clock in it, then it could completely replace bedside table clock radios and speakers in all the bedrooms in our house. I don't want to have this and a clock radio on my bedside table.
    Charge the watch in nightstand mode.

https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/alarms-apd27ce65478/watchos