Apple working on redesigned iMac, two Mac Pros, cheaper display for 2021

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2021
Apple is reportedly planning to release a redesigned iMac lineup with Apple Silicon chips, two new Mac Pro models, and a cheaper display in 2021.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

The redesigned iMac is said to be reminiscent of the Pro Display XDR, with all around slimmer bezels and no metal chin, sources told Bloomberg. The redesign, the company's first since 2012, is also said to see the iMac move away from a curved back to a flatter rear section.

Sources said that the iMac update will be Apple's biggest visual redesign in 2021. There are reportedly two versions of the iMac in development, codenamed J456 and J457, that will replace the current 21.5-inch iMac and 27-inch iMac devices.

Both will use a new generation of first-party Apple Silicon processors that will also appear in the 2021 MacBook Pro lineup. Apple's first piece of Mac silicon, the M1, debuted in 2020.

Rumors in 2020 suggested that the company was working on a new iMac design with "iPad Pro design language" and "Pro Display like bezels." An iOS 14 icon ostensibly representing a refreshed iMac was also discovered in 2020.

Apple released new iMac models in 2020, but those kept the same years-old design of the 2012 lineup.

New Mac Pro models, cheaper Apple display

Along with the iMac, Apple is also working on a pair of new Mac Pro models. The first would appear identical to the current version that launched in 2019 and may continue to use Intel processors. The second variant, equipped with an Apple Silicon chip, could be about half the size and feature a design that "could invoke nostalgia for the Power Mac G4 Cube," Bloomberg reported.

In November 2020, a report claimed that Apple was working on a re-engineered and smaller Mac Pro device -- though its processor type wasn't clear. A month later, another report claimed that Apple was developing much faster proprietary processors for its pro desktops and notebooks, including a new Mac Pro.

The company is also said to be working on a lower-priced external monitor as part of its new Mac desktop efforts. No other information on the monitor is available other than the fact that it'll be much cheaper than the $4,999 Pro Display XDR.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    This is exciting. Sorry for the fanboy comments, but iMac, Mac pros, and first party display is literally the article I have been waiting for. Yay 🤗
    rob53canukstormdoozydozendewmecornchipjas99dysamoriarobabawatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 70
    Apple's first piece of Mac silicon, the M1, debuted in 2019.

I thought it just debuted end of 2020?

cornchipwatto_cobrarazorpit
  • Reply 3 of 70
    Just refine the old ‘floating monitor’ (“Luxo lamp”) version of the iMac. It was a great design and the monitor could actually be repositioned in intelligent ways back then.
    rob53entropyscornchipMplsPoberpongod_2watto_cobraseanjrazorpit
  • Reply 4 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    How many people here really believed it would take Apple two years to do this? Nobody? I didn’t either. I believe Jobs said it would take two years to switch to x86, but it took less than a year, from what I remember, without looking it up. If Apple took two years, it would impact sales. But in case of problems, they have to give themselves breathing space, and these aren’t Apple’s statements, after all.

but I’m waiting to see what they do with a Mac Pro. I was going to buy one in 2019, but I didn’t, because of it having the nearly obsolete PCIe 3. Now, it’s great that I waited.
    edited January 2021 doozydozenwatto_cobraseanj
  • Reply 5 of 70
    Now Apple is work on mosdernizing their products while keeping them the same price.  It is about time Apple, your suppose to be a luxury product.
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 6 of 70
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Just refine the old ‘floating monitor’ (“Luxo lamp”) version of the iMac. It was a great design and the monitor could actually be repositioned in intelligent ways back then.
    I kept the parts of my lampshade iMac after it finally died years ago. Still trying to figure out what to turn it into. 

My only concern with creating something similar is physics related. The lampshade iMac base was heavy compared to the display. A new version would be the opposite and probably require the base to be firmly attached to a table -or- forget about a base, put electronics inside the monitor and sell a VESA-only version so people could use whatever VESA mounting solution they want or have. No $1k mount. ;-)

didn't like my emoji
    edited January 2021 doozydozenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 70
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    melgross said:
    How many people here really believed it would take Apple two years to do this? Nobody? I didn’t either. I believe Jobs said it would take two years to switch to x86, but it took less than a year, from what I remember, without looking it up. If Apple took two years, it would impact sales. But in case of problems, they have to give themselves breathing space, and these aren’t Apple’s statements, after all.

but I’m waiting to see what they do with a Mac Pro. I was going to buy one in 2019, but I didn’t, because of it having the nearly obsolete PCIe 3. Now, it’s great that I waited.
    According to this report, the full-size Mac Pro may remain on Intel processors when updated this year so it won’t be a full transition. 
  • Reply 8 of 70
    melgross said:

According to this report, the full-size Mac Pro may remain on Intel processors when updated this year so it won’t be a full transition. 
    Woulda, coulda, shoulda. We don’t know. But one year is from when the first models came out late last year, such as my Macbook Pro. So that’s when the count begins, not the beginning of January. The first quarter of 2022 should be when an Apple chip could be in these machines.

not everything in these reports are correct.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 70
    Wondering if these will be hold-overs and the really good machines will come end of 2022. I mean they have to release some macs this year.
    I'm in the market, but probably not for the first release of these. Hope to be proven wrong.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 70
    Ok,mahatma I just read is that Apple is indeed planning a smaller Mac Pro in addition to the current Intel model that will have an Apple,chip inside. Depending on how they do it, that would be what I would prefer anyway. Alongside that, a less expensive pro monitor. That would be good too. I still think that Intel Mac Pro will be gone early 2022.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    melgross said:
    Ok,mahatma I just read is that Apple is indeed planning a smaller Mac Pro in addition to the current Intel model that will have an Apple,chip inside. Depending on how they do it, that would be what I would prefer anyway. Alongside that, a less expensive pro monitor. That would be good too. I still think that Intel Mac Pro will be gone early 2022.
    “Mac Pro mini”?
    razorpit
  • Reply 12 of 70
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    As I recall, the Mac cube’s biggest problem was mediocre performance at a ludicrous price.
    Given the similarly ludicrous price positioning of the HomePod and AirPods Max, I fear Tim Apple might try the same trick again.
    edited January 2021 dysamoria
  • Reply 13 of 70
    This is exciting. Sorry for the fanboy comments, but iMac, Mac pros, and first party display is literally the article I have been waiting for. Yay 🤗
    LOL

Same. 
    TheObannonFiledysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 70
    Would be cool to see Apple do a super ultra wide monitor. The concept is awesome. But all the monitors currently available are not the greatest quality - including the Samsung g9. 

Aluminum and glass and true 5 or 6 k resolution vertically - more horizontally - at 50 inches or so. 

They can keep the pro monitors and bring back the “cinema” moniker for super ultra wides. 

A retina super ultra wide iMac would be a dream. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 70
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Both will use a new generation of first-party Apple Silicon processors that will also appear in the 2021 MacBook Pro lineup. Apple's first piece of Mac silicon, the M1, debuted in 2020.
    I took these statements to suggest that the new 2021 products would use something different/newer than the current M1, such as M1X or M2. Am I interpreting incorrectly?
    TheObannonFilerobabawatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 70
    To me, the M1 Mac Mini has been a smash hit and Apple Silicon for desktop has been my 2020 highlight when it comes to innovation. Set aside the Bluetooth problems I have with it. 

So I’m excited to see the new iMacs and Pro models. I just hope that SSD’s will be removable / upgradable (knowing the rest is a big integrated package you can’t change) and the iMac display can be used as a monitor by external device, so you can keep using the monitor when the computer dies.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 70
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    I bought an Intel version of the 27” iMac early last year.  But oh, an M1 something something 27” iMac is calling out to me like a siren of the sea.  It just goes to show that Apple is evil and they can’t stop taking my money. 💵💵💵
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 70
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Regarding the “half-sized” Apple Silicon Mac Pro:

The previous times Apple has made a small pro desktop, things have gone terribly wrong. The Cube was a real miss, and we all know how the 2013 Mac Pro turned out. Hopefully the third time is the charm.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 70
    “The second variant, equipped with an Apple Silicon chip, could be about half the size and feature a design that ‘could invoke nostalgia for the Power Mac G4 Cube,’ Bloomberg reported.”

I really liked the Mac Pro 2013. I didn’t purchase one because display size and quality are so significant for me and the iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) came onto the market just prior to my point of purchase, with no prospect on the horizon for a 5K display. I would purchase a full-size Mac Pro, but a more compact one built around Apple silicon would be magnificent!

Apple, please build the Mac Pro 2022 in the USA! (Or possibly 2021, timed for an NAB 2021 release (October)).
    edited January 2021 roakewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 70
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
     The second variant, equipped with an Apple Silicon chip, could be about half the size and feature a design that "could invoke nostalgia for the Power Mac G4 Cube," Bloomberg reported.

There's absolutely NO nostalgia for that white elephant.

NemicideMacPro