MagSafe return & better displays in 2021 MacBook Pro backed in new report

Posted:
in General Discussion
A second report about forthcoming 2021 Apple Silicon MacBook Pro models echoes claims that they will include the return of MagSafe charging, and have better displays versus the 2020 counterparts.

Following analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's claim that Apple will re-introduce MagSafe magnetic charging to two new MacBook Pro models, a separate source is confirming the same details. Specifically, the unnamed source says that there will be a 14-inch MacBook Pro and a 16-inch MacBook Pro with the feature.

According to Bloomberg, a person with knowledge of the plans has confirmed the return of MagSafe, plus the introduction of faster processors, and new displays. This source also claims that the Touch Bar may be removed.

The Bloomberg report is near-identical to the latest Ming-Chi Kuo one. It does, however, add the detail that the new 14-inch MacBook Pro is currently codenamed J314, and the 16-inch is J316.

It also claims that as well as the change to a 14-inch screen for the smaller MacBook Pro, both models will feature new displays that will be brighter, and feature higher contrast. This fits with a previous Kuo report that says the two models will feature mini LED.

Kuo's latest report also says that the new models will feature redesigned chassis. This would mark the first exterior change since 2016, when Apple both introduced the maligned Touch Bar, and dropped MagSafe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member

Faster processors and new displays?! Guys this is incredible news!

but seriously, MagSafe coming back is pretty cool. I’m betting that it’s going to be more like the wireless tech in the watch & phones, and there won’t be a physical plug-in with contacts. But maybe there’s not enough room for that in such a small connector yet?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Good news keep coming for MAC. Going forward, MAC is all about market share and not just a niche market and Apple is doing everything right to make it happen.

• Reply 3 of 18
    jas99jas99 Posts: 149member
    They had better keep the TouchBar. I use that all the time. I fly through sorting e-mail with it. 
    watto_cobracommand_fsphericfirelock
  • Reply 4 of 18
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    wood1208 said:
    Good news keep coming for MAC. Going forward, MAC is all about market share and not just a niche market and Apple is doing everything right to make it happen.

Why are you so awkward about how you reference the Mac?
    chiaroundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    The touch bar was a solution looking for a problem, creating several problems of its own.

One problem “discovered” by my girlfriend is how the volume control could cause hearing damage when wearing headphones: because of how unexpectedly quickly the volume could be raised to maximum (like instantly).

Then there was the escape key, which Apple did finally relented on. Also the need for first touch to make the controls appear.

Then the idiotic method of editing the bar: how many people think the mouse pointer could possibly be relevant to the touchbar?? The instructions literally made no sense because they didn’t say “yes, the mouse pointer can go down to the Touch Bar”.

Etc.

It’s something that should have been *in addition* to the function key row, not replacing it. There’s room for both. Physical controls should not be eliminated at all costs, and Apple culture seems to still be convinced of this arbitrary mission (looking at you, iPhone/iPad).
    command_f
  • Reply 6 of 18
    Considering that M1 macs for 20 hours they can just be charged overnight with a cable and unconnected all day. No need for MagSafe. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 18
    oberpongo said:
    Considering that M1 macs for 20 hours they can just be charged overnight with a cable and unconnected all day. No need for MagSafe. 
    What usage is that 20 hours? It kinda matters what you’re doing with the machine.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    These new AS MacBook Pro’s sound awesome. Always loved the MagSafe since it truly was a great innovation when it came out and saved my computer many times. I have owned both iterations of the MagSafe and never had any issues of it falling out accidentally or when on my lap.  Maybe third party knockoff chargers , or apple rejects, had weak magnets.  

I recently received a Dell WS laptop for work with a USBC charger port and have already knocked it to the floor by tripping over the chord.  I really hate this design since it also can damage the USBC port.  It’s handy to have USBC charging as a backup charging method but MagSafe is a much more elegant and better solution and I am so glad it’s coming back.   Well done apple.  

Now just add colour back into the finder sidebar since my eyes still see colours just fine. 
  • Reply 9 of 18
    So basically, they’re U-turning on several “innovations” from the 2016-2020 era. Goodbye keyboard from hell, useless Touchbar, and an inferior approach to charging. 

Now all we need is a web cam that passes muster.

command_fcrowleymuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 18
    The Touch Bar sucks. I prefer the keys to control basic functions but I don't use them as fx keys.

MagSafe is awesome and needs to make a comeback.

I prefer 4x Thunderbolt ports.

The M1 is magical.
    command_f
  • Reply 11 of 18
    When I bought the first MBP with a Touch Bar, I assumed Apple had a cunning plan for it. After all, it breaks so many principles of good ergonomics (can't feel it - have to look, buttons move around or disappear, needs an extra tap to wake it (even on mains) etc). It has become clear that there was no plan.

Personally, there is nothing I do that the Touch Bar does better than the existing on-screen tools. Those on-screen tools (Tool Bars, dialogue boxes etc) are not going to go away because so many Macs (all iMacs, for example) don't have Touch Bars. The only "good" bit is the excellent Touch ID button (the physical bit!).

Trade the Touch Bar for MagSafe: great idea.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Yeah, not sure about this.

At present, I don't miss having physical function keys, but I also don't use the Touch Bar for much. There's a lot of potential there, but it doesn't seem to have been realised.

MagSafe? Do we know which format it will be? I mean, I kind of like the approach of just plugging in a USB-C charger of the appropriate power, rather than a proprietary connector. Although, if they kept USB-C charging, and added Qi-Based MagSafe, that could be interesting. I'm just not sure it's practical.
    command_f
  • Reply 13 of 18
    anome said:
    MagSafe? Do we know which format it will be? I mean, I kind of like the approach of just plugging in a USB-C charger of the appropriate power, rather than a proprietary connector. Although, if they kept USB-C charging, and added Qi-Based MagSafe, that could be interesting. I'm just not sure it's practical.
    Good point. I presume they'll stay with USB-C so it would likely be a 'breakable' two-piece magnetic plug or cable. I'd like to think they have something more clever ... just as long as its not inspired by the iMac's mouse: a connector in the bottom of the MBP  :o
  • Reply 14 of 18
    The return of function keys could happen while keeping the Touch Bar for those of us who like it like myself. They actually are not mutually exclusive.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    So basically, they’re U-turning on several “innovations” from the 2016-2020 era. Goodbye keyboard from hell, useless Touchbar, and an inferior approach to charging. 

Now all we need is a web cam that passes muster.
    From reviews I've seen, the webcam is actually better than the spec sheet suggests because Apple is leaning on the superior M1 image and audio processing, and it's a noticeable improvement from previous Macbooks.

720p does seem a bit archaic though.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    command_f said:
    anome said:
    Good point. I presume they'll stay with USB-C so it would likely be a 'breakable' two-piece magnetic plug or cable. I'd like to think they have something more clever ... just as long as its not inspired by the iMac's mouse: a connector in the bottom of the MBP  :o
    I wouldn't be entirely surprisaed with a Qi charger than magnetically clips onto the Apple logo of the Macbook lid and drip feeds power wirelessly.

Hoping for a dedicated charging port.  The I/O of the current Macbooks seems to be the only downside right now (bar the aforementioned webcam, but that doesn't bother me nearly as much).
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 17 of 18
    byronlbyronl Posts: 362member
    i’ll miss the touchbar:(((
  • Reply 18 of 18
    dysamoria said:

Then the idiotic method of editing the bar: how many people think the mouse pointer could possibly be relevant to the touchbar?? The instructions literally made no sense because they didn’t say “yes, the mouse pointer can go down to the Touch Bar”.
    That's literally what it says: