'Ted Lasso' nominated for three Critics Choice Awards

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Award season has begun and Apple TV+ comedy "Ted Lasso" has been nominated for three Critics Choice Awards.

'Ted Lasso' nominated for two Critics Choice Awards
'Ted Lasso' nominated for two Critics Choice Awards

The Critics Choice Awards are held each year to celebrate the most popular and fan-obsessed genres across television and movies. The 2021 awards will be held in March and consideration for film nominees extended to February. TV show nominations have been chosen already, however.

Nomination categories include best actor and best actress among each genre and best in genre. Netflix, HBO, and Hulu have nearly swept the board for nominations but Apple TV+ managed to catch a few spots.

Deadline reports that "Ted Lasso" has been nominated for best comedy series and will compete against the following:
  • Better Things (FX)
  • The Flight Attendant (HBO Max)
  • Mom (CBS)
  • PEN15 (Hulu)
  • Ramy (Hulu)
  • Schitt's Creek (Pop)
  • What We Do in the Shadows (FX)
"Ted Lasso" is also nominated for best actor in a comedy series for Jason Sudeikis' performance as the titular character. Other nominees in the category include:

Hank Azaria - Brockmire (IFC)Matt Berry - What We Do in the Shadows (FX)Nicholas Hoult - The Great (Hulu)Eugene Levy - Schitt's Creek (Pop)Ramy Youssef - Ramy (Hulu)

Finally, the series was nominated for best supporting actress in a comedy series for Hannah Waddingham's performance. Other nominees in the category include:
  • Lecy Goranson - The Conners (ABC)
  • Rita Moreno - One Day at a Time (Pop)
  • Annie Murphy - Schitt's Creek (Pop)
  • Ashley Park - Emily in Paris (Netflix)
  • Jaime Pressly - Mom (CBS)
The sleeper hit "Ted Lasso" caught viewers by surprise with its characters and ability to navigate challenging discussions. Apple has renewed the show for an additional two seasons and production of season two has already begun.

In 2020 Apple took home its first award for an Apple TV+ show from the Critics Choice Awards. "The Morning Show" Billy Crudup won the award for best supporting actor.

Update January 19, 10:38 A.M. Eastern Time Updated with third nomination.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Have to admit, the first episode did not lock me in at all. I’m about 5 episodes in to season 1 now and it’s a pretty good show now that they’ve added a little depth and backstory to most of the characters. In the world of garbage series, this is a good show that balances between adult themes and lighthearted, witty humor without shoving any politics in your face (so far).
    watto_cobratmay
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The show was nominated for three critics choice awards- you are missing best supporting actress comedy for Hannah Waddingham "Rebecca"
    Wesley Hilliardwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 181member, administrator, moderator, editor
    Skowen said:
    The show was nominated for three critics choice awards- you are missing best supporting actress comedy for Hannah Waddingham "Rebecca"
    Thanks for the catch!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    It’s a good show but I feel Schitts creek will take most of the gongs. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I absolutely loved this show.  It was one of the best series I've seen in 2020.  Took one show to get momentum up and running, but when it did it was just "wow" all the way.  Absolutely loved Hanna Waddingham's "Rebecca" character.  
    watto_cobratmay