Apple Car US production reportedly assigned to Hyundai subsidiary Kia

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    Seems highly unlikely. Kia is Hyundai’s even lower quality car brand. This sounds like a car industry rumor meant to poison the well for Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 63
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    Seems highly unlikely. Kia is Hyundai’s even lower quality car brand. This sounds like a car industry rumor meant to poison the well for Apple.
    Here's a list of Foxconn's major customers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn#Major_customers

Looking at that list can you not see how a manufacturer can both be contracted to assemble sub-par designs and poor materials, as well as assemble high-quality designs and materials?
    Rayz2016fastasleepdrdavidmuthuk_vanalingammike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 63
    Today's KIA is not yesterday's KIA.
    My daughter was buying one and I told her not to... but then I looked at it and drove it.
    They make them a lot better now.
    I could see this happening.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    My daughter was buying one and I told her not to... but then I looked at it and drove it.
    Apple would be very unwise to partner with Hyundai, unless they intend on taking advantage of their robotics expertise (they very recently acquired Boston Dynamics).
  • Reply 25 of 63
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    Though we have 1 Hyundai in our extended family, most think Kia does a better job of design.  Ready to be a tad more adventuresome than Hyundai.  Just sayin'... Though, come to to think of it, we have more Dodge pickups than anything else. :-]
  • Reply 26 of 63
    Hyundai/Kia are stepping up in the automotive world. They lured a key BMW product development talent from BMW in 2015:

https://www.hyundainews.com/en-us/bios/albert-biermann

• Reply 27 of 63
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    gatorguy said:
    mike1 said:
    If this is all true, I'm very surprised to learn that Hyundai uses separate plant(s) to manufacture essentially the same car(s).
    I also doubt that Kia would need to "agree to take control of production". They'd be told they are producing the car.
    Hyundai and Kia are separate entities under the Hyundai Motor Group umbrella. It's a bit confusing.
    https://www.lethbridgehyundai.com/blog/2017/03/20/hyundai-history#:~:text=Hyundai Motor Company was founded,vehicle manufacturer in the world.

That definitely falls into the "learn something new everyday" category. Thanks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 63
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,279member
    qwerty52 said:
    gatorguy said:
    mike1 said:
    If this is all true, I'm very surprised to learn that Hyundai uses separate plant(s) to manufacture essentially the same car(s).
    I also doubt that Kia would need to "agree to take control of production". They'd be told they are producing the car.
    Hyundai and Kia are separate entities under the Hyundai Motor Group umbrella. It's a bit confusing.
    https://www.lethbridgehyundai.com/blog/2017/03/20/hyundai-history#:~:text=Hyundai Motor Company was founded,vehicle manufacturer in the world.
    It is normal this days. For example under Volkswagen Group you have next to Volkswagen also Audi, Skoda, SEAT, Porsche .....

Not quite. All of those are now brands are completely controlled, if not 100% owned, by Volkswagen. Sure, they each have their own management teams to manage the brands. More similar to how GM used to own Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Hummer, Saab, GMC and Saturn. The ownership arrangement between Hyundai and Kia is different as explained in the link above and other reading I did afterwards.
    d_2watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 63
    d_2d_2 Posts: 118member
    Hyundai certainly seems to produce far better and quite competitive vehicles these days vs. back when they started selling in the U.S. ... but ... Hyundai being afraid of an Apple tie-in potentially hurting the Hyundai brand is truly hilarious  
    SpamSandwichroundaboutnowdanhwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 63
    d_2 said:
    Hyundai certainly seems to produce far better and quite competitive vehicles these days vs. back when they started selling in the U.S. ... but ... Hyundai being afraid of an Apple tie-in potentially hurting the Hyundai brand is truly hilarious  
    Might hurt their brand in Korea, a country where chaebols control everything.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 63
    Kia's 2021 Telluride is Consumer Report's #1 Midsized SUV out of 25 tested. Their design and quality have become world class and their vehicles tend to be excellent values, too. Not bad for a relative newcomer to the automotive world. I suspect Apple has made an excellent choice in a partner if these reports are true.
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 32 of 63
    Kia's 2021 Telluride is Consumer Report's #1 Midsized SUV out of 25 tested. Their design and quality have become world class and their vehicles tend to be excellent values, too. Not bad for a relative newcomer to the automotive world. I suspect Apple has made an excellent choice in a partner if these reports are true.
    I haven’t found Consumer Reports credible for several decades.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    I haven’t found Consumer Reports credible for several decades.
    If it makes you feel any better, the Telluride took the same honors from Car and Driver in 2020.
    JWSCmuthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 34 of 63
    The Kia Telluride is a very nice SUV
  • Reply 35 of 63
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    lkrupp said:
    Proposed models include Puma, Leopard, Mojave, Catalina, and the flagship of the line Big Sur which will have all the bells and whistles. Sure sounds better than Tesla’s S, X, Y, 3.
    Jokes aside.  Tesla's model designations are intentional.  Listed properly, they would spell "sexy" in leetspeak.  S 3 X Y.  Fun fact, Model 3 only exists because Ford wouldn't let Telsa use Model E as a designation.  Rumor has it all of Tesla's vehicle together spell SEXY CARS.   
    Models S, 3, X, Y.  C- Cybertruck, A- All terrain quad, R- Roadster, S- Semi truck.  No idea if it's true, but it does seem like something 420 Elon would do.
    In one of his presentations, Elon Musk actually describes how Ford wouldn't let them use the name 'Model E' and then goes on to say "so Ford killed sex!"
  • Reply 36 of 63
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Xed said:
    I'm not sure why so many find Kia and Hyundai connection confusing. They acquired Kia (and LG Semi-Conductor) in 1997 when Japan's economy collapsed. It would be like not understanding how Apple can make both AirPods Max and Beats Solo3 Wireless.
    So why would Japan’s economy tanking lead to a Korean Company taking over another one or two Korean companies?

Also FYI — 1997 was the Asian Financial Crisis. Much more than just Japan. 
  • Reply 37 of 63
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Anyone find it ironic that Apple would partner with a korean car company after the billions of dollars spent fighting Samsung?

When you look at Tesla, they biggest hurdles they've had to overcome have been manufacturing related. If apple is going to make a car, partnering with an existing automaker makes a ton of sense. They can take advantage of the other company's experience and expertise in manufacturing and assembly and focus on what they do best - the user interface and operating system design. 

As many others have pointed out, Hyundai and Kia have come a long way from building cheap, 2nd rate economy cars. Their cars are now considered quite good and Hyundai's luxury brand, Genesis has gotten very good reviews.
  • Reply 38 of 63
    XedXed Posts: 2,540member
    chadbag said:
    Xed said:
    I'm not sure why so many find Kia and Hyundai connection confusing. They acquired Kia (and LG Semi-Conductor) in 1997 when Japan's economy collapsed. It would be like not understanding how Apple can make both AirPods Max and Beats Solo3 Wireless.
    So why would Japan’s economy tanking lead to a Korean Company taking over another one or two Korean companies?

Also FYI — 1997 was the Asian Financial Crisis. Much more than just Japan. 
    It's a typo, clearly meaning to be S. Korea. Japan was less affected that other Asian countries.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    I have a 2018 Kia Cadenza Limited and it is a great car.  Great quality and features.
    drdavid
  • Reply 40 of 63
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    MplsP said:
    Anyone find it ironic that Apple would partner with a korean car company after the billions of dollars spent fighting Samsung?

When you look at Tesla, they biggest hurdles they've had to overcome have been manufacturing related. If apple is going to make a car, partnering with an existing automaker makes a ton of sense. They can take advantage of the other company's experience and expertise in manufacturing and assembly and focus on what they do best - the user interface and operating system design. 

As many others have pointed out, Hyundai and Kia have come a long way from building cheap, 2nd rate economy cars. Their cars are now considered quite good and Hyundai's luxury brand, Genesis has gotten very good reviews.
    Apple still buys a ton of Samsung components.
    anantksundaram