Apple shifts more production from iPhone 12 mini, to iPhone 12 Pro

Posted:
in General Discussion
Industry reports say that Pegatron is seeing reduced orders for the iPhone 12 mini, while Apple has charged Foxconn with making more of the iPhone 12 Pro series.

Apple's new iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini
Apple's new iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini

Despite recently expanding its manufacturing capacity, Pegatron was already facing a slowdown in orders from Apple over its alleged student labor violations. Now it has also seen a reduction in orders, with Apple reportedly requiring fewer of the iPhone 12 mini.

According to Digitimes, Pegatron has seen a slowdown in orders for the smallest iPhone, blamed on the coronavirus affecting demand in the US and Europe.

Citing unnamed market observers, Digitimes separately reports that Foxconn has received an increase in orders for its production of the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max.

Digitimes has a poor track record in projecting Apple's plans, but a far greater one over its sources within the industry. These latest reports appear to corroborate recent analysis by Morgan Stanley's Katy Huberty.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Well I think my mini is the perfect phone, and I for one am very glad Apple made it. A full featured phone in a smaller size. I waited years for it.

also, I think Pegatron is getting less orders of everything.
    edited January 2021 pulseimagesJWSCbaluhippocaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I got the 12 and my wife got the 12 mini.... and honestly i prefer her mini!
    cornchippulseimagesJWSCbaluhippocaladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    If Apple would release the iPhone mini "Pro" version with stainless steel...
    cornchippulseimagesJWSChippokitatitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    entropys said:
    Well I think my mini is the perfect phone, and I for one am very glad Apple made it. A full featured phone in a smaller size. I waited years for it.

How’s the battery life? Do you find yourself having to charge it throughout the day? 
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    People who don’t have a computer are more likely to get a larger phone as a substitute, as opposed to people who already have a computer.  I love the 12 mini.
    entropysbaluhippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    entropys said:

How’s the battery life? Do you find yourself having to charge it throughout the day? 
    Well I was upgrading from a battery depleted iPhone 7, which needed recharging by lunchtime if I made a few calls. I haven’t had to do that once with the mini, and I use it a lot, lot more because of the higher performance, better screen etc. 
    to give an example, my commute using wireless carplay is about half an hour. This would use about 10% of the 7 battery, about one or two percent of the mini’s.
    The mini is listed by Apple as having 15 hours video playback compared with 17 hours for the 12. This is a reasonable trade off for the smaller size and worth it to be frank.  The iPhone 7/8 only had 13 hours rating by Apple for video playback, and the 6S 11 hours..
    That said, there is that niggly worry in the back of my mind what the batteryperformance will be in three or four years time when it is worn out, but then, I could just replace the battery, or buy the latest mini. 

The mini was always going to sell less than the main line iPhone, so people might be making more of its market share than it is. I just hope Apple keeps updating it regularly.
    edited January 2021 crossladhippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    i got the 12 coming from the 7, i’m enjoying it. but i wish i had taken the mini instead. i miss the small iphone footprint on my hand. 
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    "It's a nice problem to have." – Tim Cook
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mobird said:
    Absolutely agree. I upgraded from an iPhone 6 to a 12pro. 

95% of my coms/computing is done on my phone. I need to take quite a lot of photos at work in very bright and very shaded locations, along with wide shores and zoomed. I’m out in the field for 12.5hr days. I need long battery life. 

I’m glad I bought the 12pro as it covers these bases. 

If the iPhone mini had the same battery life and cameras, I would buy that hands down. One handed phones are a pleasure to use. Oh, for my 5s. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    mobird said:
    If sales of the current iPhone Mini are lower than expected then I think you are asking for an even more niche product thats unlikely to ever see the light of day.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Just simplify the line up.  Drop the “pro” moniker, make 3 phones, iPhone mini, iPhone, iPhone max.  Put the best camera tech in the max, and the other 2 exactly the same except for the size.  For those wanting a cheaper phone, look to last years models.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

im a wishful thinking know nothing random internet person.
    watto_cobra