Apple plans thinner, high-end MacBook Air

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Jony Ive is gone...for good.  Enough of the obsession on thin.  What does a thinner MacBook translate to?  It means less battery life and a lousy keyboard.  Two things no one wants.
    That must be why battery life keeps improving. And, I love my 2018's keyboard.

mjtomlin said:
    I have a feeling the current M1 systems were a stop-gap solution using current designs to get them on the market and in users' hands as soon as possible. 
    No.  They are not a stop-gap solution.  Apple made the mistake of having the first M-based Macs be the most basic and low-cost models, instead of upgrading their most popular models first.  You know, like they did with the first Intel Macs, the iMac and the 15" MacBook Pro.
    Do you honestly think they don't sell more Airs than 15" Pros? 🤔
    edited January 2021 williamlondonRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 42
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    Jony Ive is gone...for good.  Enough of the obsession on thin.  What does a thinner MacBook translate to?  It means less battery life and a lousy keyboard.  Two things no one wants.

mjtomlin said:
    I have a feeling the current M1 systems were a stop-gap solution using current designs to get them on the market and in users' hands as soon as possible. 
    No.  They are not a stop-gap solution.  Apple made the mistake of having the first M-based Macs be the most basic and low-cost models, instead of upgrading their most popular models first.  You know, like they did with the first Intel Macs, the iMac and the 15" MacBook Pro.
    Somehow he’s the one to blame on everything 🙄
    Like Timmy Cook couldn’t do anything to stop him.
    like Phil can’t at least disagree.
    like hair force one can’t even say no or he’s gone.
    or at least some hardware engineering team can’t tell the i9 is overheating.

ffs stop reading that poor biography by Issacson.
    watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Bloomberg is becoming less and less credible. The Air was just released with the M1. Completely fabricated nonsense.
    Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 42
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    dewme said:
    Mentioning thinness in an environment where some folks equate excessive thinness with "sacrifices"...
    Thos folks do so with good reason. There have been many compromises for the unimportant metric of thinness in most of Apple's Macs. Fine for the Air, but why in the Pro and moreso why in the desktops?
    MplsP
  • Reply 25 of 42
    DuhSesame said:

mjtomlin said:
    Somehow he’s the one to blame on everything 🙄
    Like Timmy Cook couldn’t do anything to stop him.

Ive had more power than any one else at Apple, and was at least on par with Cook.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    elijahg said:
    DuhSesame said:

mjtomlin said:
    Do you honestly think they don't sell more Airs than 15" Pros? ߤ䦬t;br>
    Somehow he’s the one to blame on everything ߙ䦬t;br>Like Timmy Cook couldn’t do anything to stop him.

Ive had more power than any one else at Apple, and was at least on par with Cook.
    No, He doesn’t run the company.
    They all approved the trash can back in 2013, even Timmy.  I guess he’s tasteless enough for the CEO?  He doesn’t have any vision of the future to be in that place?
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 42
    elijahg said:
    dewme said:
    Mentioning thinness in an environment where some folks equate excessive thinness with "sacrifices"...
    Thos folks do so with good reason. There have been many compromises for the unimportant metric of thinness in most of Apple's Macs. Fine for the Air, but why in the Pro and moreso why in the desktops?
    Lmao.

That “thinness obsessively Jony Ive Weak Ars cooling system” in the 16” can well cooled a 95 watt system without issue.

Meanwhile the M1 can be cooled down to 80 celsius which is unheard of to modern laptops.

Who’s to blame, first and foremost?
    Rayz2016watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 28 of 42
    THIS. Answered prayers. Apple can just take my money now if they want. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 42
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It has also evaluated producing a 15-inch version, though the unnamed sources claim that Apple has decided against that for this version.
    A 15"/16" Air would be nice, even with just M1. The M1 CPU already performs close to the i9 in the MBP without a fan and the GPU is in the region of a 5300M. If it had a lower starting price around $1799-1999, that would make for a very capable entry pro laptop and the silent operation would be very much appreciated by developers/artists/photographers etc. For higher performance needs, there would be pro models with fans with M1x that would be 2-3x faster. If they could make the higher-end models work in silent mode, that would be fine too though. They might have issues balancing the weight with the larger display, if they have to add extra weight in the base to the point there's little difference between it and a normal 16", they'd be as well just doing the usual design.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 42
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    mjtomlin said:
    I think you’ll find they did upgrade their most popular models with Apple Silicon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 42
    DuhSesame said:
    elijahg said:
    DuhSesame said:

mjtomlin said:
    Somehow he’s the one to blame on everything ߙ䦬t;br>Like Timmy Cook couldn’t do anything to stop him.

They all approved the trash can back in 2013, even Timmy.  I guess he’s tasteless enough for the CEO?  He doesn’t have any vision of the future to be in that place?
    Where did I say he ran the company? I said he was on par with Cook, which is supported in Jobs' biography.
  • Reply 32 of 42

DuhSesame said:
    elijahg said:
    dewme said:
    Lmao.

That “thinness obsessively Jony Ive Weak Ars cooling system” in the 16” can well cooled a 95 watt system without issue.

Meanwhile the M1 can be cooled down to 80 celsius which is unheard of to modern laptops.

Who are you attributing that quote to, because that's not what I said.

To think a computer's utility is defined by its cooling ability. 

Lmao.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    mjtomlin said:
    This is crazy.

Over 75% of Macs sold are notebooks. It's been like that for about 10 years.

The most popular models are the less expensive versions. The MacBook Air outsells the smallest iMac by a long shot.

One big factor is the M1's integrated GPU. Apple is clearly taking phasing in their more powerful products later in the two-year process to give their hardware engineers more time to create sufficiently powerful GPUs. Apple isn't expected to use discrete graphics solutions from other parties for Apple Silicon-powered Macs.

That made the introduction of the M1 on entry-level systems a no-brainer.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    elijahg said:
    DuhSesame said:
    elijahg said:
    DuhSesame said:

mjtomlin said:

Where did I say he ran the company? I said he was on par with Cook, which is supported in Jobs' biography.
    🙄
    “He’s on par with Cook and telling everyone what to do but he doesn’t run the company.”

When you give a man such power, while he may not appear as “managing the company”, in reality he’s in charge of pretty much anything that’s non finance related, even areas that he doesn’t understand with.

Do you genuinely think that’s what happened?  At least Apple’s leadership clearly stated that Ive have to report to Timmy.

Still, that doesn’t mean least the hardware team are some “resistance for the good”, e.g. the entire company thought the trash can was the future but failed, Timmy doesn’t cancel it until 2017 and there’s no hardware updates within.

Or the 16” only makes bigger blades and larger heatsink (those fins on either side of the end) and it increased about 11W.  Not a single bit for it to be larger & thicker.  I guess Ive definitely hates a device being cool is it?

You and that book are both nonsense.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    elijahg said:

DuhSesame said:
    elijahg said:
    dewme said:
    Lmao.

Who are you attributing that quote to, because that's not what I said.

To think a computer's utility is defined by its cooling ability. 

Lmao.
    Yeah, people like you trash talk about cooling for years, when that gets solved, either you pretend that didn’t happen or you move on to find something new just to keep being a PITA.

Point is, I told you it’s not about thickness, you don’t understand a single bit of it.

Neither that’s the reason for the keyboard.

Nor Apple is in control of everything.

Somehow that’s still Ive’s fault.

Pathetic.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobradocno42
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Not just here, but elsewhere, I have to laugh at the Cook-bashers, Ive-bashers, etc., and the claims of "Apple sucks now, no vision, no blah, blah, blah." This year will be a decade since Steve's death. Remember how Apple was absolutely, positively doomed with Jobs gone? I do. So where is Apple nearly ten years later under Cook and (most of that time) Ive? In the months leading up to Steve's death, Apple's stock was trading in the split-adjusted range of $10-15/share. It just closed this Friday at $140/share. That's not a typo. It's the most valuable company on the planet measured by market cap, the first company to ever be worth $1 Trillion, with that worth currently at nearly $2.4 Trillion. So yeah, you definitely grow a company's stock price by 10-15X over a decade and become the most valuable and one of the most admired companies on the planet by running the company into the ground with no vision and products that suck. THE FACT is that Apple has become far more successful as a company under Cook's leadership than it ever was under Jobs. 
    edited January 2021 watto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 37 of 42
    DrummerladDrummerlad Posts: 20unconfirmed, member
    Funny, I thought Apple would start making slower, thicker laptops. You know, just to lose out on sales.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Funny, I thought Apple would start making slower, thicker laptops. You know, just to lose out on sales.
    That “thinness obsession” claim itself is a obsession.  Use your logic, thin doesn’t necessarily mean compromise.  You want the right size.

That said, the 15” Touch Bar does have many drawbacks, though I would say Intel take the biggest blame.  It is the sole reason of limited RAM & poor cooling.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 42
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    The only thing that could make me regret buying the M1 MBA I'm typing on right now is if the new one supports 32GB of RAM.  16GB is a huge upgrade from my 2015 MBA but I do have a couple of apps that could really benefit from more RAM still.  Of course if the CPU in this thing wasn't so amazing I wouldn't otherwise even consider trying to run them on this beast :smiley: 
  • Reply 40 of 42
    I can definitely see an even-more strikingly thin MBA, this has been a brand innovation/equity that Apple has owned for years. As long as they don't get stupid again with bad keyboards and creating other issues. Don't see myself buying it, but yeah I think lots of people would. 

As long as I get a 14" M1, preferably fanless, with 16gb RAM and a 1tb drive, around $1499-1599 (hey why not, no need to gouge us - and they typically do gouge if you want higher ram/ssd), I'm happy. Looking forward to upgrading from my '10 MBP, 13" / 16/1 in the coming year. It has been a helluva workhorse, my longest in-daily-service Mac in 30+ years of Mac use. Serious hats off to the engineers/designers, the fact it still chugs along fine for standard business use is freakin' amazing.

After graduating to laptops...I remember lugging through airports and everywhere else the boat anchors that were my circa 1996 PB 117cs (remember the customizable "Book Covers" anyone?) running out of gas even with a processor upgrade...this machine was basically obsolete upon release, and costly at $2499 + your 56k CORDED modem card which was I'd guess another $99 or so.

Then my Y2K 14" Pismo, also $2499 + external AirPort card, ~$199, + AirPort Saucer base station $299-399?...and the Pismo was crippled by its low VRAM in a few short years. I was lucky to get about 3-4 good years each out of those investments. You could not use the web reliably and expect to stay on those machines long, venerable though they were. But man I worked my ass off with those tools, made good coin and lots of fun in those years. Very happy times. Then it was onto a 14" iBook 900 (closeout in '04 for me, killed by bad LB), 13" Core Duo black MB in '07, and finally this 13" '10 MBP.

I expect to utilize my M1 a good 8-10 years. Oh how far we've come.