MacBook Pro with SD card slot, no Touch Bar coming in 2021

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    My work HP dragonfly is a nice machine even if it isn’t Mac quality. It has two TB/USB-C, HDMI, a USB-A and a SIM card slot with a Broadcom chip. This gives me direct access to work when not in secure wifi range, and has the benefit of not needing convoluted logon processes. Overall a nice mix of ports, although I would prefer display port to HDMI so I can MST to a second monitor (I do this currently as the first monitor (a Dell U2520d is powered USB-c in and DP out).

The cell service is handy, but it does increase the cost (the LTE data service) and we are exploring if we can get the same level of security just hotspotting a work phone. To this point it has not been an option as not everyone had a mobile phone issued. However, we are thinking of closing everyone’s landline and just issuing mobiles anyway as more people no longer come in to the office.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 55
    mr. h said:
    doggone said:
    I personally like … USB-C …  The key advantage for me is that … the cost of charger / cord replacement is a lot less than the older Apple chargers. 
    You can buy third-party USB-C to Apple MagSafe 1 or MagSafe 2 MacBook charger cables for less than $10. I have one of each type, and two USB-C chargers, and they work great!

I would expect that if Apple does bring back MagSafe as a separate port, they will still offer charging over USB-C. They could also bring out their own "MagSafe" USB charging cables rather than add a dedicated port.
    i hope apple does something even better — design charging ala mag safe in such a way that you can charge using either side of the macbook. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 55

DuhSesame said:
    Touch Bar:
    People who like it can live without it, people who don’t will think they’re right.  Hurts no one, everyone wins 👌.

Seriously though, that thing it’s just an add-on at best, it only consists about 5% of an overall design at best.

I’m sorry but imput devices aren’t really that important for a laptop.  No matter how important you think it is, it’s low tech and majority of them works just fine.  Hell some only use external ones too.
    my current macbook is a 2015 non-touchbar one. my next upgrade will be this year, and it will be this non-touchbar as well. i skipped a generation on the macbook 😅
    ireland
  • Reply 24 of 55
    SD card ain’t Pro anymore. High end professional photography has moved on to newer standards. 
  • Reply 25 of 55
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,336member
    It's certainly about time to do the RIGHT THING with the SD card slot on MacBooks!  I can only hope it's real UHS-II or III or Express this time (all backward compatible), as my mid-2015 MBP limits SD card speed to the UHS-I cap of 104MB/s.

I remember when I was blasted NUMEROUS TIMES in many online forums, including this one, for expressing my intense dislike of the horrid Butterfly keyboard.  I was told by Cupertino Worshippers that "it's the future, and there's no way Apple is going back!"  Well, Apple did go back and all those loud voices of Butterfly support are now silent.

The thing about Apple is you cannot worship any product feature at any given time because what you worship today may be gone tomorrow.  I never worshipped the SD card slot, but I appreciated it enough to write Apple plenty of feedback since 2016 to bring back that feature in notebooks.  I retained hope through the years because it never was really gone. To this day, the SD card slot remains an important feature in iMacs, even the iMac Pro, proving its worth.  And no, it doesn't matter if there are competing card technologies out there like CF & XQD.  SD is still a huge deal. It's the most widely used memory card format, despite the fact newer formats are nipping at its heels,  SD is ubiquitous like USB-A, although I doubt Apple will restore that wonderful dongle-eliminating connector even if USB-A is still found everywhere 10 years hence (and it probably will).

No mention of restoring the glowing Apple logo on the back lid, but who knows what treasures future MicroLED tech will bring.

The TouchBar has loud fans, but so did the Butterfly keyboard.  It serves no practical use for me personally and merely drains the battery.  The addition of a real ESC key didn't fix the TouchBar in my mind.  The TouchBar is the ultimate extension of the no-tactile feedback Butteryfly Keyboard concept.  Apple has long hoped its users would love to rap their fingers across glass or a desk.  Sorry, but that probably won't ever happen.  Tapping on an unmovable surface makes you hate life.  Go ahead and tap your fingers across your desk right now.  Beat your fingers on it for the next 15 minutes and then ask yourself, "Am I having fun yet?"  No, you are not.  Having a springy key fire back up at you after pressing it is a thrill. Typing enjoyment outshines the fact the TouchBar could be morphed into pretty much anything.

All in all, I am very excited...

Apple Silicon (I'll probably sell my Intel stock this year)
    SD Card Slot (UHS-II this time?)
    MagSafe 
    Decent Keyboard
    Real Function Keys
    And... An Apple who lists to Feedback from folks like me -- THANK YOU!
    edited January 2021 williamlondonAI_liasireland
  • Reply 26 of 55
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    SD card ain’t Pro anymore. High end professional photography has moved on to newer standards. 
    No laptops with a right mind will have these things.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 55
    litoloop said:

DuhSesame said:
    Touch Bar:
    People who like it can live without it, people who don’t will think they’re right.  Hurts no one, everyone wins 👌.

Seriously though, that thing it’s just an add-on at best, it only consists about 5% of an overall design at best.

I’m sorry but imput devices aren’t really that important for a laptop.  No matter how important you think it is, it’s low tech and majority of them works just fine.  Hell some only use external ones too.
    my current macbook is a 2015 non-touchbar one. my next upgrade will be this year, and it will be this non-touchbar as well. i skipped a generation on the macbook 😅
    Oh.
    spheric
  • Reply 28 of 55
    entropys said:
    that said, would not an SD slot be a great secondary storage option for a MBP and one hell of a lot cheaper than Apple SSD prices? Imagine if it s a four channel PCIe bus able to handle the latest spec SD Express spec cards. 128Tb @985Mbps. That will do. (I believe latest spec is 3900Mbps on a PCIe 4.0 bus). Apple could actually be a first mover there.

The SD Association website confirms:
    "Now the SDA offers SD Express which use the PCIe Gen.4 Interface with NVMe Protocol to deliver (3940MB/s) data transfer rates between SD host devices and memory cards."

SDA video on web page claims we would effectively have a removable "SSD" solution with an SD UC-I Express card/slot.

This would be pretty neat since we can no longer easily replace/upgrade the internal SSD. I'm sure the higher capacity SD UC Express cards will be very expensive at first, but you could save a little on SSD storage on the front end and by the time your laptop gets some years on it and you find you just need added storage (and not an entirely new computer), the SD card prices should have come down. It would also be very convenient if it is possible to boot from the SD card, especially if the internal SSD fails.
    entropysbageljoeyirelandwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 55
    A Macbook Pro should have a 1/8” headphone jack. If not here, the next iPad Pro should bring it back. Dongles everywhere decrease the quality of experience for users.
    AI_liasmuthuk_vanalingamelijahganantksundaramireland
  • Reply 30 of 55

Last seen in 2016's MacBook Pro models, this slot will allow photographers to take SD cards straight from their cameras and load onto the Mac.

Wow I just learned my 2016 MBP has an SD card slot.  Must be next to my invisible USB-A and MagSafe port...
    sphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 55
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    mr. h said:
    doggone said:
    I personally like … USB-C …  The key advantage for me is that … the cost of charger / cord replacement is a lot less than the older Apple chargers. 
    You can buy third-party USB-C to Apple MagSafe 1 or MagSafe 2 MacBook charger cables for less than $10. I have one of each type, and two USB-C chargers, and they work great!

I would expect that if Apple does bring back MagSafe as a separate port, they will still offer charging over USB-C. They could also bring out their own "MagSafe" USB charging cables rather than add a dedicated port.
    I agree and on my old MBP now have a USB-C charger with a MagSafe2.  But that was never feasible until the USB-C connectivity came out that could deliver the power needed.  I've had to replace multiple Apple chargers in the past all because the low voltage cable broke.  Once my dog bit through one, other times frayed or go caught.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    aderutter said:
    SD card slot would be a backwards move that I can’t see Apple taking.

So progression is defined as removing useful features? 

rcfa said:
    TouchBar forever!
    As long as there’s a physical ESC key...
    Pro Cameras have WiFi built in, and even if not, transferring pictures is done rarely, easily done with a tumbdrive-style adapter. Why waste space on a dedicated slot?

How is it “wasting space”? It’s not like there’s a lack of space on the side of the laptop. The 2015 MBP has a boatload of ports. 

Also, I’d imagine the SD slot is used more often than the Touch Bar for actual work. Moreover, lack of Touch Bar is no detriment to the functionality of the laptop, it’s just as usable without. No SD card slot (and no dongle) means no photos/video. WiFi is useless. SD transfers reliably at 150+MB/sec. WiFi from embedded devices like cameras is about 20MB/sec. My Sony camera has it, it’s so slow. 
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 33 of 55

entropys said:

that said, would not an SD slot be a great secondary storage option for a MBP and one hell of a lot cheaper than Apple SSD prices? Imagine if it s a four channel PCIe bus able to handle the latest spec SD Express spec cards. 128Tb @985Mbps. That will do. (I believe latest spec is 3900Mbps on a PCIe 4.0 bus). Apple could actually be a first mover there.
    That’s probably a reason for them to not do it. If it was easy and seamless to add secondary storage people wouldn’t buy the extortionate storage upgrades. 
    AI_lias
  • Reply 34 of 55
    mr. h said:
    Is there really that much demand for cellular-connected laptops? Just use your iPhone as a hotspot.
    I guess that’s a question that applies to the iPad as well. For business use, I really like a cellular connected iPad, but I don’t like the iPad for productivity work, so having that option on a laptop would give me best of both worlds.

Personally, I find a phone hotspot to drain my phone too quickly, and often see an unstable and slow connection.

spheric
  • Reply 35 of 55
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    jdw said:
    It's certainly about time to do the RIGHT THING with the SD card slot on MacBooks!  I can only hope it's real UHS-II or III or Express this time (all backward compatible), as my mid-2015 MBP limits SD card speed to the UHS-I cap of 104MB/s.

I remember when I was blasted NUMEROUS TIMES in many online forums, including this one, for expressing my intense dislike of the horrid Butterfly keyboard.  I was told by Cupertino Worshippers that "it's the future, and there's no way Apple is going back!"  Well, Apple did go back and all those loud voices of Butterfly support are now silent.

The thing about Apple is you cannot worship any product feature at any given time because what you worship today may be gone tomorrow.  I never worshipped the SD card slot, but I appreciated it enough to write Apple plenty of feedback since 2016 to bring back that feature in notebooks.  I retained hope through the years because it never was really gone. To this day, the SD card slot remains an important feature in iMacs, even the iMac Pro, proving its worth.  And no, it doesn't matter if there are competing card technologies out there like CF & XQD.  SD is still a huge deal. It's the most widely used memory card format, despite the fact newer formats are nipping at its heels,  SD is ubiquitous like USB-A, although I doubt Apple will restore that wonderful dongle-eliminating connector even if USB-A is still found everywhere 10 years hence (and it probably will).

No mention of restoring the glowing Apple logo on the back lid, but who knows what treasures future MicroLED tech will bring.

The TouchBar has loud fans, but so did the Butterfly keyboard.  It serves no practical use for me personally and merely drains the battery.  The addition of a real ESC key didn't fix the TouchBar in my mind.  The TouchBar is the ultimate extension of the no-tactile feedback Butteryfly Keyboard concept.  Apple has long hoped its users would love to rap their fingers across glass or a desk.  Sorry, but that probably won't ever happen.  Tapping on an unmovable surface makes you hate life.  Go ahead and tap your fingers across your desk right now.  Beat your fingers on it for the next 15 minutes and then ask yourself, "Am I having fun yet?"  No, you are not.  Having a springy key fire back up at you after pressing it is a thrill. Typing enjoyment outshines the fact the TouchBar could be morphed into pretty much anything.

All in all, I am very excited...

Apple Silicon (I'll probably sell my Intel stock this year)
    SD Card Slot (UHS-II this time?)
    MagSafe 
    Decent Keyboard
    Real Function Keys
    And... An Apple who lists to Feedback from folks like me -- THANK YOU!

WHO liked the butterfly keyboard??
  • Reply 36 of 55
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Yay! Now let’s bring the floppy disk to iPhones!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 55
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple can create one usb-c megsafe charging port while regular usb-c still works as alternative charging. Removing touch bar is sensible decision. Reduces cost and complains. Not sure bringing sdcard back helps everyone, may be few. People will ask what about Hdmi,Ethernet,etc. Only reason sdcard over other ports is due to thickness, sdcard slot is easily fit on side. 
    Beats
  • Reply 38 of 55
    A Macbook Pro should have a 1/8” headphone jack. If not here, the next iPad Pro should bring it back. Dongles everywhere decrease the quality of experience for users.
    I don’t know any laptops that has 3.175mm headphone jack.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 55
    longpath said:
    For the life of me, I can’t understand why anyone is assuming that a return of MagSafe means a return of either of the old MagSafe connectors when we know for a fact that neither of them are used in MagSafe on iPhones. Indeed, given the sequence in time, I submit that it’s vastly more likely that this leak is more likely to mean some iteration of the current MagSafe tech, which is consistent with a recent Apple patent that showed MagSafe charging pads in the palm rests for charging an iPhone.
    Because the reports have stated, "The MagSafe connector in the new MacBook Pro models will have a similar shape to that of MagSafe connectors in Macs of old."  MagSafe in the iPhone is NOT a MagSafe connector.  It is inductive charging.  The report also says the MagSafe port in the new MacBook Pro would be able to charge faster, something the MagSafe in the iPhone CANNOT do.  Just because Apple files a patent, does not mean they actually introduce it.  Charging a phone on your palm rest is ridiculous because how are you supposed to use the MacBook when your phone is sitting on the palm rest?
    So you genuinely think Apple is going backwards to a connector they discarded? When, in Apple’s entire history, have they ever done so? What makes you give this report any credence whatsoever? Your answer to my initial question amounts to because the report said so; but gives zero explanation for your investment of belief in the report. 
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 55
    longpath said:
    longpath said:
    For the life of me, I can’t understand why anyone is assuming that a return of MagSafe means a return of either of the old MagSafe connectors when we know for a fact that neither of them are used in MagSafe on iPhones. Indeed, given the sequence in time, I submit that it’s vastly more likely that this leak is more likely to mean some iteration of the current MagSafe tech, which is consistent with a recent Apple patent that showed MagSafe charging pads in the palm rests for charging an iPhone.
    Because the reports have stated, "The MagSafe connector in the new MacBook Pro models will have a similar shape to that of MagSafe connectors in Macs of old."  MagSafe in the iPhone is NOT a MagSafe connector.  It is inductive charging.  The report also says the MagSafe port in the new MacBook Pro would be able to charge faster, something the MagSafe in the iPhone CANNOT do.  Just because Apple files a patent, does not mean they actually introduce it.  Charging a phone on your palm rest is ridiculous because how are you supposed to use the MacBook when your phone is sitting on the palm rest?
    So you genuinely think Apple is going backwards to a connector they discarded? When, in Apple’s entire history, have they ever done so? What makes you give this report any credence whatsoever? Your answer to my initial question amounts to because the report said so; but gives zero explanation for your investment of belief in the report. 
    Have you forgotten about the butterfly keyboard?