G5-G4 Pro lineup launch (speculation)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I had some free time during lunch today and began thinking about the actual unveiling of the G5.. and how it might go down..

Here goes...

What if Apple announces this... (at some point)

G4 1.2, Good

G4 1.4. Better

and G4 1.6 Best

and instead of the typical "ultimate" max ram-yadda yadda spec

a G5 is initially launched as the "Ultimate" machine .

I'm sure supplies would be low, and since the Ultimate price tag could be placed on it , it could be feasible economically to launch this in this way.

Then, as G5 supplies build, (after a few months) we see instead of a "speed bump" a "G4 bump", the G5 is now the "Ultimate" "Best" pricepoints... and there are 2 G4's in the "Good" and "Better" slots.

SIx months later... Steve announces the all G5 pro lineup MWNY 03.

His feels extremely realistic to how it will go down on a gut-level, in sort of that "semi-disappointing, semi-cool" way that life has about it.

********The important part ********

What this would address is the potential sales lag that would exist if the G5 was postponed until enough quantities were available for the entire pro line.

A "Ultimate G5" machine would resolve a

customer's hesitancy to buy a G4 rather than a G5. The buyer now has the option of the G5 vs. G4 performance/cost analysis to make a good decision as a consumer. and (drum roll please...) not wait to buy.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and the G5 does not exist anyway.

MSKR

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    This idea has been around before, and it is a good one, but has Apple ever done this before?

Also, the G4 may be around for some time, supposedly, at MW Tokyo, some executives behind the scenes were treated to seeing G4 running with DDR.

On the other hand, motorola were supposed to have shown apple G4s running on DDR, but refused to use them, instead opting for the G5, which apple is heavily involved in.

Can someone put me straight on this? I don't know if any of these statements are true, but if the Tokyo one is true, I'm sad to say I am a bit dissapointed in apple.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Apple has had:

PowerMacs with different motherboards (Yikes and Sawtooth)

PowerMacs with different processors with-in the same family (Digital Audio 7400 and the 7450)

So it's not a foreign idea that they cross between processor families at any given time.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mattyjmattyj Posts: 898member
    Outsider I do know this, but a range that has two completely different proceesors? ie processors that are not in the same family? I don't think they have, and don't mention the iMac
  • Reply 4 of 6
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I think that IF they went with a multi-proc lineup, they would have the G5 in the Best/Fastest and Ultimate slots first...mostly because the Ultimate is just a BTO Best/Fastest.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>I think that IF they went with a multi-proc lineup, they would have the G5 in the Best/Fastest and Ultimate slots first...mostly because the Ultimate is just a BTO Best/Fastest.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought about that but what if G5 Ghz speeds didn't translate well.

(i.e.

1.2 Ghz G4 Good -

1.6 Ghz G4 Better -

Dual 1.4 Ghz G4 Best -

1.2 Ghz G5 Ultimate (Dual)??

MSKR
  • Reply 6 of 6
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    They should have:

Good

Better

Best