Apple shares hit all-time high in intraday trading, break closing price record

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
Shares of AAPL hit an all-time high in intraday trading on Friday before closing at $139.07, breaking the previous record set a day earlier.

Credit: WikiCommons
Credit: WikiCommons

Apple's price per share surged to $139.85 on the NASDAQ Friday afternoon, marking an all-time high share price for the Cupertino tech giant. The company also broke a closing price record of $136.87 that was set on Thursday, Jan. 21.

The stock is up more than 5.07% since the last day of 2020. Recent gains are attributed to expectations of a blockbuster holiday quarter, as well as recent reports that Apple plans on building its own self-driving car.

The company's stock price has rallied nearly 143% since a low of $57.31 on March 20, 2020 -- just a couple of weeks after COVID-19 was declared a pandemic.

Apple has thrived during the coronavirus health crisis. Throughout 2020, it set new records across its Mac, iPad, and Services segments as more consumers adjusted to a work-from-home and remote learning environment.

Back in October 2020, the Cupertino tech giant reported record September quarter earnings of $64.7 billion. Signs suggest that its December holiday quarter could see even bigger earnings because of the later-than-usual launch of the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro.

Apple announced a four-for-one stock split in August, which completed that same month. Current share prices are based on the split.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Wasn't it up to $300 at one point, or was that before the latest split? I'm not a stock broker junkie.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Wasn't it up to $300 at one point, or was that before the latest split? I'm not a stock broker junkie.
    Pre-split. 

My portfolio is looking pretty good for the weekend. :smile: 
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Thank you AAPL! :)
    ramanpfaffflyingdpcg27hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    I was expecting a record intra-day and closing price on Wednesday just before the quarterly earnings report. Let's see if inflated estimates by analysts pours cold water on AAPL.
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    All of this free cash sloshing around from the Feds is building up to another massive bubble. Play ‘em as you see ‘em.
    hippo
  • Reply 6 of 10
    All of this free cash sloshing around from the Feds is building up to another massive bubble. Play ‘em as you see ‘em.
    I think I've heard that before. Always a gamble. I'll keep rolling/holding. 
    hippowatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    ronn said:
    I was expecting a record intra-day and closing price on Wednesday just before the quarterly earnings report. Let's see if inflated estimates by analysts pours cold water on AAPL.
    I also think it's going to go nuts on Wednesday. Can't wait to watch the after hours action. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    hipporonnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Bulls vs Bears, glass half-full vs glass half-empty, positive thinking vs negative thinking, belief in a better future vs belief that it’s all over. The positive thinkers generally come out on top. I’ve been retired since 2012, the year the end of the world was supposed to happen. I’m still here and my retirement income withdrawals have barely made a dent in my portfolio because of the market’s performance over the last eight years.
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member
    The introduction of the M1, and the future intro of the M1x, and M2, makes Apple a screaming stock buying opportunity, on the level of iPod, iPhone, or iPad intro’s,
    Long Apple......
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,849member

Pre-split. 

My portfolio is looking pretty good for the weekend. :smile: 
    Stock splits are one of best ways to double or triple your investment if you stay long with a very good well run company (Like Apple), stock splits are by far the best way for a small investor to git big over time.

Apple paying a dividend over the last few years has also helped make investing in Apple stock easy...
    stevenozwatto_cobra