Data shows 62% of Apple TV+ subscribers are on a trial, most don't plan to renew

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I love Apple TV+. Although I’m on my first year free, I plan to annually renew for $49.99 when my free year is over in July. Ted Lasso alone makes it worth the annual price which is only $4.19 a month. Many other great shows.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 73
    Attention Tim Cook:  Start buying up whole libraries of content. Your offerings are laughably slim for consumers. There’s nothing there for a person or family even if they want to stick with the platform.
    elijahg
  • Reply 23 of 73
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member

stuke said:
    I'm a subscriber through the Apple One Plan - Family.  While they have some interesting stuff, Apple needs about 2-3 more years to build a library worthy of dragging someone off of Netflix or Prime, of the cable-offerings popping up to stay relevant.  The Apple One Plans are a great idea, but like those who are on Apple TV+ trial, I am thinking of ditching even the Plan because it offers Arcade.  Sorry, for me, I left the Arcade after graduating high school.  I don't need this feature.  Let me choose News+ for example in exchange for Arcade, then, Apple, you can secure more "subscribers" to your services.  Plan and simple (but then again it's not Steve's Apple any longer).
    I hoped the Apple One plans would be more flexible too, but right now it seems it's really just designed to inflate AppleTV+ numbers. I want more storage than the individual plan has, but don't want AppleTV+. Why can't I swap AppleTV+ for News+, Fitness+ or more storage?
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 24 of 73
    leighrleighr Posts: 254member
    To be fair, Apple has done an incredible job of producing/procuring original content that is of high quality. To truly compete, they need to purchase or licence a large back catalog from another source, which is what all the other streaming services have done (aside from those who already owned large back catalogs). I don’t think any other company (samsung, Microsoft etc) could start up a streaming service from scratch as Apple have done and been any more, or even as, successful as Apple have managed in the time given, even though their market share is small. There’s certainly more to come from Apple in this space, so don’t write them off just yet!
    Dogpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 73
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    entropys said:
    Leaving aside that it is very public television ( or “ Art House”. You know, commercially unsuccessful but earns ego boosting praise from the kind of people who attend all the right dinner parties) in its content so far, there just isn’t enough of it. Every now and again something is released I can binge on over a few days, then months pass. 
    You certainly have told us a lot about yourself in this post.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 73
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member

chasm said:

If TV+ was, in its present form, charging like HBO Max and Netflix do, I'd be gone in a hot minute.
    This says it all. TV+ can't compete. 
    it's not trying to be another Netflix, so it's not "competing" with them anymore than They Might Be Giants are "trying" to be Katy Perry and just aren't any good at doing so.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying, so let me clarify: I think TV+ is a **very good value for the money**, and I mean the $5 that I'd be spending if I wasn't on the trial. Acknowledging that it is early days so it doesn't have an endless buffet of content, I don't think it would be worth more than $5/month in its present form. But it's absolutely worth $5 for people willing to take a chance and try out some **original** and **well-made** content.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 73
    I'll be the one to ask the question - do Apple's politics play a role in this?

I'm not referring to the shows in general but I feel like there are a large amount of users, like me, that are conservative and don't give TV+ a chance because they figure there won't be any shows for them? 

I think a Band of Brothers(or The Pacific) type show following a certain unit in WW2, a Detective type show like Bosch on Prime, an Indiana Jones type hero show, etc. would bring in me and fellow rednecks like me even though we might not agree with Apple on politics.

- I will once again reiterate that if things continue to go in the wrong direction for TV+, Apple should make TV+ free and have 2-3 minutes of advertising per show.  People don't have to watch but I think most would and advertising rates could be huge.  A much bigger moneymaker than a subscription service IMO.
    anantksundaramSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 73
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This is another bullshit clickbait survey. If 30% percent are going to renew, and 29% are not going to renew, then that leaves 41% that aren’t sure yet. Therefore, most people AREN’T SURE YET... But for some reason the title says that most people aren’t going to renew. 
    OR
    If 30% of the 62% percent on free trials are planning to renew, this is equal to 18.6% of the total subscriber number. Adding this 18.6% to the 38% that currently subscribe means that MOST PEOPLE DO or WILL SUBSCRIBE (56.6%)
    See? We can make the numbers mean whatever we want them to mean, and in this case they are merely being used to support somebody’s contrarian agenda. If you want Apple TV+ to be doing well, there are plenty of articles and surveys out there arguing that very point for you. 
    In any case, we’ve just seen that most people will either subscribe or aren’t sure yet, and not whatever bullshit these survey people are trying to tell you. 
    edited January 2021 AlanWynnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 73
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,297member
    I've enjoyed some of the content, and it's a nice bonus to buying an Apple device, but I doubt I'll pay for AppleTV+ unless they get a lot more content. 

Overall I think AppleTV+ has been an odd play for Apple. For the amount of money they've spent on it, they could have created a bunch of high quality first party games for all of their platforms. That's a much more natural fit for a computer company (they are still essentially a computer company, regardless of what Pat Gelsinger says). 

But if they really want to be in TV/movies/news (which is fine, and maybe even good), I think there's a better way to do it. That better way is to adopt the CableTV model but run it as break even in order to entice people into the ecosystem. By "CableTV" model, I don't mean "overpriced" or "crappy box with crappy interface." Instead, I mean you bundle a HUGE catalog of content. People watch what they want, and the more popular shows get a bigger share of the subscription $ pie. 

In some ways, CableTV reminds me of IBM's mainframe business --- it actually makes a lot of economic sense once you take away the monopolist price gouging. Just as "the Cloud" is a return to IBM's centralized Big Iron approach to computing, I suspect we will eventually get to a point where the CableTV model is reincarnated in a more user-friendly, lower cost body. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Not really surprised by this, there are around 195 million Netflix subscribers world wide. Apple sells about that many iPhones a year. With some light conservative thinking about how many of those took the offer simply because it was free, one can begin to get an idea about the size of the streaming market.

• Reply 31 of 73
    leighr said:
    they need to purchase or license a large back catalog from another source, which is what all the other streaming services have done (aside from those who already owned large back catalogs).
    A larger catalog would definitely help!  I'm one of the undecideds, but currently leaning towards not renewing.  I only like a couple of the AppleTV+ shows, and it's really hard to justify paying for a subscription for just a couple of shows.

I bought the AppleTV device on a lark one day and that's how I got the free subscription. Now the AppleTV device has become my primary navigation for watching content in other services because the user interface is so much better than the UI on my TV.   
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 73
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I suspect that many are still in the cable mindset of:  "Should I subscribe to this one or to that one?"

Apple TV is breaking that model:   Like you have multiple games on your phone, you will have multiple subscriptions services on your TV.  Having only one will not be sufficient. 
    ....  So, Apple TV will supplement subscriptions such as Netflix -- and vice-versa.
    .........  And, at only $5.00 a month or part of an Apple One bundle that will be fine.
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 33 of 73
    I basically agree with GeorgeBMac

I find it odd how people value things. At under $5/month, this costs less than a latte. So if I get a even just a few hours of entertainment a month, it’s basically worth it ... sure some of it isn’t my style. Also, despite vast content libraries, my GF and I often search NFLX and AMZN for hours trying to find something worth watching once we’ve watched the (good) original content  (which also isn’t that much these days). But the total price of subbing to AAPL, NFLX & AMZN is so trivial compared to other things people spend frivolously on. 

One exception: Disney+ is the least impressive, in my view ... a great back catalog for those under 14. The Marvel movies are fine, but we’d all seen/bought those before D+ came out. Once I’ve gotten around to bingeing Mandelorian 2 (which is decent, but not exactly epic) I’ll likely dump that. I’d literally rather have a latte.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 34 of 73
    I wonder how much Apple has blown on Cook's push to be a Hollywood mogul.  Imagine if Steve Jobs had put out iTunes with only original music made exclusively for iTunes.  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 35 of 73
    I love Apple TV+. Although I’m on my first year free, I plan to annually renew for $49.99 when my free year is over in July. Ted Lasso alone makes it worth the annual price which is only $4.19 a month. Many other great shows.
    We have it as part of Apple One Premier, but would have subscribed even without that. You are right on Ted Lasso (I would almost argue the darts scene was worth a whole season subscription - have rewatched that scene several times). :-) We have also watched GreyhoundThe Morning ShowFor All MankindSee, and Tiny World. (Just that would get it down to less than $1 an hour of watched content.) We are interested in Truth Be ToldDefending JacobServant and Dickinson, but have not yet had time to watch them. In contrast, I think the only Disney + show we have watched is The Mandoloian. We plan to watch Soul, but have not yet.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 36 of 73

I'm not referring to the shows in general but I feel like there are a large amount of users, like me, that are conservative and don't give TV+ a chance because they figure there won't be any shows for them? 
    I am not sure that it is politics, as much as lack of a good method for content discovery. The problem is getting people to even try watching any of the shows so that they can find out how many they will really like.
    I think a Band of Brothers(or The Pacific) type show following a certain unit in WW2,
    You should watch Greyhound, a World War II film about the Battle of the Atlantic. You might also be interested in Tehran, a spy story/thriller.

a Detective type show like Bosch on Prime, an Indiana Jones type hero show, etc. would bring in me and fellow rednecks like me even though we might not agree with Apple on politics.
    I definitely think you should check out Ted Lasso possibly the best show on TV right now.
    - I will once again reiterate that if things continue to go in the wrong direction for TV+, Apple should make TV+ free and have 2-3 minutes of advertising per show.  People don't have to watch but I think most would and advertising rates could be huge.  A much bigger moneymaker than a subscription service IMO.
    I think Apple are in this for the long haul. They are building a library of content that is really impressive (not in size, but in quality, both in terms of production values and actual stories). It will take some time to build that library and I expect they will eventually buy some a larger catalog, when others with less money and staying power start to fail. I think purchasing MGM would be interesting if they can get it for a reasonable price.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    AlanWynn said:
    We have it as part of Apple One Premier, but would have subscribed even without that. You are right on Ted Lasso (I would almost argue the darts scene was worth a whole season subscription - have rewatched that scene several times). :-) We have also watched GreyhoundThe Morning ShowFor All MankindSee, and Tiny World. (Just that would get it down to less than $1 an hour of watched content.) We are interested in Truth Be ToldDefending JacobServant and Dickinson, but have not yet had time to watch them. In contrast, I think the only Disney + show we have watched is The Mandoloian. We plan to watch Soul, but have not yet.
    Premier here also — Music ($15) and 2TB ($10) are requirements for us, so an additional $5 for four additional services is an easy choice. 

But I wanted to point out something else. Like others here, in addition to the big players, we rotate through a variety of smaller streaming services, like BritBox, MHz Choice, Starz, AMC+, ePix, etc. These subscriptions are usually triggered when we find something on them we want to watch, and they only last a month or two as we do so. This is the actual competition for tv+ — not Netflix or Prime or whatever — Apple wins here because I’m not subscribing and then unsubscribing. Whatever little bit of my Premier fee goes to it, it’s a steady revenue stream. 
    edited January 2021 AlanWynn
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Apple TV+ has been wise in creating a familiar, safe foundation of programming, employing proven industry-veterans, all while emphasizing the Apple brand through their commitment to world-class programming production values. Launching a new media-streaming service is a long game and the especially the initial approach must be measured. Demonstrating stylistic or thematic tendencies too far in any direction can potentially alienate certain viewer segments, prompting an eventual platform pivot (re-branding, heavier ad saturation, operational shifts, etc. = more spend). Over time, we will likely see Apple TV+ incorporate edgier, more experimental, and riskier programming. 

Apple TV+ has created a solid foundation, primed for greater product-diverse scalability and programming pivotability. The deliberate methodical integration into the video streaming market and subsequent weaving into Apple's ecosystem, will ultimately prove itself integral to the platform's relevance and longevity. The programming today may not be as galvanizing or sexy as Netflix or Amazon Prime, but over the next 5-7years, Apple TV+ will have developed an identity and cultivated a space uninhabitable by the competition.
  • Reply 39 of 73

I think a Band of Brothers(or The Pacific) type show following a certain unit in WW2, a Detective type show like Bosch on Prime, an Indiana Jones type hero show, etc. would bring in me and fellow rednecks like me even though we might not agree with Apple on politics.

There really isn’t much on any of the platforms for a person who is conservative. Hollywood and entertainment production is almost all coming from a politically opposite point of view. If anything, Disney+ might be a little less offensive, but it has its share of questionable material also.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    glindon said:
    ...Once the credit expires I'll cancel the One plan since I haven't found anything worth playing on Arcade ...
    You too? I tried the free trial and then let it go. I was unimpressed with what was there. A small library of mediocrety. I'm better off paying $10 for a good game and playing it for a few months.
    elijahg