Configuration issue logs iPhone users out of Facebook

Posted:
in iOS edited January 2021
Numerous iPhone users discovered they were logged out from the Facebook app on Friday evening, a problem put down to a "configuration change" by the social network.

Posts from iPhone users started to appear on social media and Reddit on Friday evening, claiming they were logged out from the Facebook app after their session expired. The sign-in prompt appeared on their devices, despite not logging themselves out from the account on their smartphone.

Users who had set up two-factor authentication on their accounts were also having trouble logging back in, as there were long delays in the sending out of text messages for those who elected for SMS-based codes.

Furthermore, it seems that only iPhone users were affected, rather than those using Android or other devices.

So Facebook, heard it was a "configuration change".

to the engineers who fixed the issue and patiently tried to explain the cause to us to no avail. https://t.co/AUARhCZ7W2

-- Facebook App (@facebookapp)

A post from Facebook's support teams appeared on Facebook and Twitter at 1:37am eastern time, advising it was aware of login issues, and that it was working to fix the problem. In a statement to Engadget, Facebook believed the issues were down to a "configuration change," but details of the change were not provided.

A resolution was declared five hours later, again without clarification of what caused the authentication problem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    It was probably due to the addition of "App Privacy" information being added. Facecrook most likely currently holds the record on Apple's app store for the longest "App Privacy" declaration, not to mention the most invasive app as well.
    Go to the app store and take a look at Facecrook and scroll down to the "App Privacy" section. If any one would actually read what Facecrook was doing they would most likely quit Facecrook.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I would be better if Facebook automatically logged the user out, deleted the app from the phone and then automatically deleted their profile from Facebook servers.
    MplsPmike54Alex1NDogpersonAndy.HardwakeSpamSandwichrotateleftbytebaconstangcitylightsapplewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I deleted Facebook and deactivated my account two weeks ago.  Best decision ever.  Facebook is a sewer and is, in my view, destructive, if not evil.  It’s literally made to addict you.  I did the same with Twitter.  And I changed my default search to DuckDuck Go.  
    mike54zeus423Alex1NDogpersonSpamSandwichrotateleftbytebaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Mmmmhn.  Yeah right. This why I deleted my Facebook account.  Their reputation is in shambles and they only make it worse all by themselves. 
    mike54Alex1Nsdw2001watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 15
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    And this is a bad thing?
    mike54gatorguyzeus423Alex1Nbaconstangcitylightsapplewatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Oh no! Anyway
    mike54watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    People are social animals.  Facebook, et al., is just one of many digital ways people can communicate and is unlikely to fade away.  I agree that’s its negatives outweigh its positives, but I still have a need to access my homeowners association group, which means I have to keep it.  I have stopped just routinely posting in the open forum, however. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    I’m expecting that the same thing would happens to all other apps that Facebook owns like WhatsApp, Messenger, Instagram etc. All of which are not welcome on my devices. 
    mike54zeus423Alex1Nrotateleftbytewatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    If you never  logged in you would never have to worry about being logged out.
    zeus423Alex1NAndy.Hardwakebaconstangwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Deleted Twitter a few weeks back. Great decision to get away from all of the negativity.

As for Facebook, never had one because when it first came out I thought it would be great to use with the computer classes I was teaching. I made an account under the name "Mr. Brown" and Facebook paused my account claiming I couldn't use a "fake name". So I never bothered. I'm sure everyone uses their "real name" on Facebook. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Maybe the final little push for some users to definitely quit with this parasite and spaying application
    Facebook = Quitbook
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    People are social animals.  Facebook, et al., is just one of many digital ways people can communicate and is unlikely to fade away.  I agree that’s its negatives outweigh its positives, but I still have a need to access my homeowners association group, which means I have to keep it.  I have stopped just routinely posting in the open forum, however. 
    There is something different about it what it does to people psychologically.  It’s made to addict.  They track you even off site.  It lowers discourse to become black-and-white, divisive, angry and impersonal.  I realized that I was getting upset about a world that didn’t exist.  I also was harassed and threatened twice.  Plus, it’s run by a bunch of free speech-hating, left wing lunatics.  Ditto on Twitter.  And Google/YouTube.  I still need google for certain things like YouTube TV (which I like).  Apple isn’t as bad, though their participation in wiping Parler off the web was deeply disturbing (as were Cook’s comments to the media about what free speech means).  We live under a tech tyranny, and that is going to have to be addressed.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    sdw2001 said:
    I deleted Facebook and deactivated my account two weeks ago.  Best decision ever.  Facebook is a sewer and is, in my view, destructive, if not evil.  It’s literally made to addict you.  I did the same with Twitter.  And I changed my default search to DuckDuck Go.  
    Some of us never joined Facebook, but congratulations nonetheless.
    baconstangzeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    I’m expecting that the same thing would happens to all other apps that Facebook owns like WhatsApp, Messenger, Instagram etc. All of which are not welcome on my devices.

I've gone farther than that and blocked them at my home firewall. Also 99% of Google and all of Twitter is blocked. All incoming and outgoing traffic is blocked.
    Proudly free of all social media platforms since Microsoft took over LinkedIn. I deleted my account the day the deal closed.
    edited January 2021 sdw2001zeus423watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Not a bug: a feature.

baconstangzeus423watto_cobrajony0