Preference panes are messed up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
in 10.2.3 on an eMac at work after logging in as root and installing a stubborn ARD upgrade the preference panes of the admin user is all messed up....

can somebody help me fix this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    does anybody hawe a macfixit subscription? i need this article:

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?...eference+panes
  • Reply 2 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Look no further:

Deleting your Cache:

Deleting your cache may be necessary if you experience any of the following:[list=a][*]you have more than one of the same preference panel in your System Preferences[*]CD's, DVD's and HD's don't mount properly or don't even show up[*]Applications behave strange[*]etc.[/list=a] Delete everything in ~/Library/Caches/, where '~' is your home folder.

Deleting your cache isn't dangerous; it only deletes the cache, ie. things who are stored there so that an application has faster access to it, or because it needs to store some things.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    He already tried the caches trick. It didnt help. Any other ideas?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

He already tried the caches trick.

How do you know? \
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Because I talked to him on iChat and explained that procedure to him before you posted that.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aha.

• Reply 7 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    yeah... it didn't work...

I'm not concerned... its not my problem...

the Mac admin has lots of little hacks and scripts running on these computers... I bet thats why the whole thing borked...

as much as I want to help, I'm in no position to do so... I don't know what kind of system they have installed (like what extras they have and such, how the network is setup, etc.) I'm only getting paid $8 an hr and I am only supposed to be helping with problems people have on the floor, making sure the printers are full, emptying the recycling bins, and swiping people into the lab. (I am one of three people doing this, (only two people after midnight) I just happen to be the most mac-proficient... so he asked me to look into it...)

maybe I can ask to help with the setup next year so I can get in on the ground level and find out what the master image looks like and what the computers are customized to do...

I need to got a copy of ARD to play with at home over the summer...

check it out at http://www.bc.edu/slsc/