Apple TV+ ranks low in streaming industry surveys despite market boom

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    They’re advertising their TV services like crap. No one really knows or cares about them because Apple doesn’t put it out there why people should use their model over cable. They need to market to cord cutters and those who are over using cable, and advertise Apple TV Channels alongside TV+ as a single package. TV Channels are TV+’s “legacy” content that people keep saying it needs. All Apple TV Channels make up the entirety of Apple TV App’s content. Make people know that unlike services like Netflix where you get originals and legacy content at one high price, Apple TV App lets you CHOOSE what content you want to pay for every month. Only want originals? That’ll be $5 a month or free if you buy an iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Mac. Want some more familiar content integrated into the app? Try our showtime and CBS bundle for only $10 a month. Or maybe AMC+ that gives you AMC, IFC, Sundance and Shudder content for $9 a month. Unsub whenever you feel you need to, and stay in control of what you pay for and what you want to watch. 

If Apple just gave the extra effort to make these offerings much more popular, we’d be seeing more services like Peacock and Discovery+ be more willing to join as well. But until they do, TV Channels AND TV+ will continue to be ignored.  
  • Reply 42 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    spice-boy said:
    I have to say the show's I've "watched" were well written, and overall quality shows. Having said that, compare the depth of variety other platforms offer ATV+ might not be worth a steady subscription at least for me. When my trial ends, that will be it for me. 
    Even though Netflix has way more content. No way I can justify $17.99 per month  for 4K content and multiple streams. That’s madness and not worthy of comparison to Apple TV+ at $4.99 per month.  
    Get rid of cable, you can subscribe to all. 

Netflix probably had hit the top of its price range but there's always something to watch. I just started the French show Cal my Agent, on my list to watch is Lupin. They just released SuperStore in Europe. The back catalog is hit and miss but it is substantial ( except for movies). 

I am happy with Apple TV+ being free, but there were very few shows I thoroughly enjoyed except Lasso. I might add it to AppleOne, if I get into the fitness+ which I have just signed up for. 
  • Reply 43 of 45
    igorsky said:
    It will take a few years...  it is a quantity issue imo! 
    Completely agree.  People like to pay for services that include large libraries, and ATV+ isn't there yet.  Almost unfair to include it in the conversation at this point.  Think about where Apple Maps was five years ago compared to now.

Conversely, quality is also important and Apple is winning that battle at this point.  Everyone likes to talk about how much content Netflix has, but nobody ever mentions how much of Netflix's huge library is pure garbage.
    You’re right, Netflix has some garbage but I would say, so does Apple. Apple has a few good shows but the rest is garbage. Netflix also has some amazing gems that are pretty much always the topic of conversation as opposed to anything Apple has. 
  • Reply 44 of 45
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    razorpit said:
    danox said:
    Marvin said:
    elijahg said:
    I don't really see the point to AppleTV+. It doesn't bring people to the Mac/iPhone/AppleTV, because the content isn't good enough and even if it was, you can watch it on various third party TVs and set-top boxes with the AppleTV app anyway. The price is such that Apple isn't making a profit from it, and there is zero chance they'll up the price until it's got a decent amount of content. By which time they will have spent so much on that content that it'll take an inordinate time for a ROI. 

Jobs wouldn't enter an industry unless he thought it could be disruptive; there had to be something that Apple could do *much* better to make people say "wow, why did no one think of that before?!" Unfortunately, there is nothing disruptive about AppleTV+. It seems to me then, that the point is actually Cook's attempt at a legacy, albeit a pretty lacklustre one thus far.
    Hardware improvements will eventually have a limit - cameras, processors, storage, displays will only get so much better to a point where they aren't compelling upgrades. At that point a hardware company will stop growing revenues from them. They have a huge ecosystem of users who use services though so the company can grow services revenue from different areas.

Apple runs a music store, has Apple Music, they are involved in health and fitness, games, news/magazines. Their combined services revenue is Apple's second largest revenue stream with nearly 64% margins:

https://www.investopedia.com/apple-s-5-most-profitable-lines-of-business-4684130

This will be mostly driven by the App Store but new services usually start out small and they have value beyond direct sales. Apple TV+ could never be a huge service overnight with just original content and it doesn't seem like they want to overtake the other services, they are partners of Apple.

The following interview with Eddy Cue covers a lot of their content strategy starting around 11:50:

Eddie Cueless is wrong, pay close attention to Apple Christmas quarter announcement the software (OS)  and hardware division combo brings home the actual profit, and always will, low margin content is a worthless distraction. Apples mind blowing profit is in big ticket OS/HARDWARE.

Apple has always valued its product above its profits.   So has every successful company -- from Carnegie Steel to Tesla.  That's why they make such "mind blowing" profits.

I agree. A big problem is when smaller, product focus companies, get bought out by bigger conglomerates that are profit driven. It generally ultimately kills the product, and everything that smaller company focused so hard on.

Problem with Apple TV+ is it seems like the buyers have a checklist of things a show must include; PC and/or boring are on top of that list. Ted Lasso is a rare treat. That series based on the game developer, supposed to be a comedy, is vomit inducing PC “comedy”. And See has been the best cure for sleeplessness in a long time.

I disagree with your poor assessment of Apple's shows -- I enjoy many of them:  See, Greyhound, Earth and others...
  • Reply 45 of 45
    CarmBCarmB Posts: 80member
    asdasd said:
    spice-boy said:
    I have to say the show's I've "watched" were well written, and overall quality shows. Having said that, compare the depth of variety other platforms offer ATV+ might not be worth a steady subscription at least for me. When my trial ends, that will be it for me. 
    Even though Netflix has way more content. No way I can justify $17.99 per month  for 4K content and multiple streams. That’s madness and not worthy of comparison to Apple TV+ at $4.99 per month.  
    Get rid of cable, you can subscribe to all. 

Netflix probably had hit the top of its price range but there's always something to watch. I just started the French show Cal my Agent, on my list to watch is Lupin. They just released SuperStore in Europe. The back catalog is hit and miss but it is substantial ( except for movies). 

I am happy with Apple TV+ being free, but there were very few shows I thoroughly enjoyed except Lasso. I might add it to AppleOne, if I get into the fitness+ which I have just signed up for. 
    The cost of about 7 months worth of the top tier of Netflix covers the cost of year-round subscription to Amazon Prime and Apple TV+, at least here in Canada. So, looking at it one way, you can either subscribe to Netflix year-round or you can subscribe to Netflix for five months of the year and carry Prime and Apple TV+ year-round. In my case, I can take in all the best Netflix content using the service for five months out of the year and yet still be able to check out the content available from those two other services. More bang for my buck, I would say, in being able to access Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Apple TV+ as opposed to being limited to Netflix exclusively. The best of what Prime and Apple TV+ offers is of a higher calibre than the second- and third-tier offerings from Netflix. So I plan to check out the best of Netflix five months of the year and also have access to the best of Prime and TV+. Far preferable to scouring the depths of Netflix offerings once I had burned through the stuff I really wanted to check out. I could further tweak this approach by only carrying TV+ for part of the year as well. There is greater flexibility these days, which is progress, I think. It would be a shame to not take advantage of it. 
    GeorgeBMac