Apple releases watchOS 7.3 with Unity watch face, wider ECG support

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited January 2021
Apple has just released watchOS 7.3 to the public with a new Unity watch face and expanded ECG support.

The watchOS update includes the usual slate of bug fixes and user experience improvements in addition to a new watch face. Apple announced the Unity watch face and watch band inspired by the Pan-African flag. The band goes on sale February 1 to mark the start of Black History Month.

Apple released "Time to Walk" on Monday and watchOS 7.3 brings added support and fixes for the new feature. Users will be able to start a workout and listen to a famous person describe their accomplishments as they walk.

The release notes for watchOS 7.3 read as follows:

watchOS 7.3 includes new features, improvements, and bug fixes, including:

• Unity watch face-- inspired by the colors of the Pan-African Flag, the shapes change throughout the day as you move creating a face that's unique to you
  • Time to Walk for Apple Fitness+ subscribers-- an audio experience in the Workout app where guests share inspiring stories as you walk
  • ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 or later in Japan, Mayotte, Philippines, and Thailand
  • Irregular heart rhythm notifications in Japan, Mayotte, Philippines, Taiwan, and Thailand
  • Fix for an issue where Control Center and Notification Center may be unresponsive when Zoom is enabled
Users can update watchOS to the latest build by opening the Apple Watch app on their iPhone, tapping My Watch, then General, then Software Update, then Install. Once downloaded, the Apple Watch should be placed on a charger to allow the update to install.

Alternately, the update can be performed directly on the Apple Watch by entering the Settings app, tapping General, then Software Update, then Install. Users with automatic updates will receive the update once it has downloaded and installed during the next available charging period.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Where is Unity watch face. Doesn’t appear in my watch app gallery as an option. Yes, I have updated both watch and phone. 
    hotguitarwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    I see it in the Face Gallery under New in watchOS. First face there...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    rwes said:
    I see it in the Face Gallery under New in watchOS. First face there...
    Just realized my watch had STARTED updating but had paused. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I don’t see the Unity Watch Face either. 
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Wish there was a way to change the noise notification sound (i.e. making separate from the regular notification sound). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    What is the deal with no ECG function for Australia yet?

Any chance AppleInsider would be able to chance an answer down on what the hold up is? Is it on Apple’s side or is it on the Australian government’s side?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    hotguitar said:
    I don’t see the Unity Watch Face either. 

That MIGHT be because Apple doesn't always release all watch faces to all series of its Apple Watch.   The processor & memory on older watches can't support every watch face.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Any chance AppleInsider would be able to chance an answer down on what the hold up is? Is it on Apple’s side or is it on the Australian government’s side?
    Seeing as the ECG feature was deployed two years ago in other countries, I think we can conclude it's a regional holdup. I think Apple would prefer to turn it on for every device everywhere if they could. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    pslicepslice Posts: 151member
    After several attempts iPhone says “error” on downloading Watch update 7.3. Did all of the hard restarts both phone and watch. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    My series 4 updated with no problem.   But I don't see the new watch face.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    How is a flag of civil war wracked, poverty stricken and deeply corrupt Africa “unifying”?
    razorpit
  • Reply 12 of 16
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    How is a flag of civil war wracked, poverty stricken and deeply corrupt Africa “unifying”?
    When Apple said unity I thought they were adding the U.S. flag.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 13 of 16
    razorpit said:
    Yes. Give us 10 watch faces with uniquely American designs on them. And it’s unbelievable one should even have to request this.
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 14 of 16
    razorpit said:

One with a blue line through it and then ripped in half would be representative.
    Unfortunately, unsavory forces have misused and tarnished our flag to symbolize their particular political ideology rather than American values.
    ozzieboy
  • Reply 15 of 16
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    razorpit said:
    Yes. Give us 10 watch faces with uniquely American designs on them. And it’s unbelievable one should even have to request this.
    Absolutely. Also, 10 uniquely German watch faces. And ten for every other nation Apple Watch is sold in (what's that — a hundred countries or so?). 

Or, you could just use the damn "Stripes" watchface to fly your national colours if you really need that. 

Pan-Africanism is *somewhat* more inclusive, and, more importantly, it also appeals to many, many people of colour outside of Africa. It's not a nationality thing. 

It's sort of like the "Pride" watchfaces. 

But then, people were complaining about those, too. Whatever. 
    GeorgeBMacozzieboy
  • Reply 16 of 16

My understanding it is on Oz gov't end - they have an ECG spec that AW doesn't meet, something about requiring two different sources for ECG. If you're there, best bet is to talk to your guvmint as we say here in the States.