Apple TV+ Israeli spy series 'Tehran' renewed for second season

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple TV+ has officially renewed the espionage thriller "Tehran," following an announcement that producers began work on the second season in early December.

In December, production executive Julien Leroux reported that "Tehran" cast and crew began working on the second season before getting the official green light from Apple itself.

Deadline reports that Apple has officially called for a second season of "Tehran." The renewal comes four months after the premiere on Apple TV+.

"Tehran," from "Fauda" writer Moshe Zonder, tells the story of a Mossad agent who goes deep undercover on a mission in Tehran, one that places everyone around her in dire jeopardy. The show stars Niv Sultan, Shaun Toub, Navid Negahban, Shervin Alenabi, Liraz Charhi, and Menashe Noy.

The series marks Apple's first non-English original series, which the company co-produced alongside Israeli broadcaster Kan 11.

"Tehran" joins Apple's other international series, including "Losing Alice," "Slow Horses," and "Pachinko."
patchythepirate

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Good. Here’s hoping it is released before everyone’s free trial ends.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    One of my favorites. It’s half in English too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Great news! I really like this one. A little cheesy at times (eg every time they check in with the fighter jets they make some sort of dramatic maneuver), but very well done in terms of character development. All characters are very relatable, and the dynamics of their conflicts match perfectly with their characters. Also, I’d watch pretty much anything with Alicia Vikander in it..

The subtitles are annoying af though. One of the best things about it is the cultural context, but it gets very annoying to read subtitles for %90 of it. I realize Apple is going for ‘global context,’ but I’m pretty sure that the subtitles are annoying to everyone that doesn’t speak both Farsi and Hebrew (I’m assuming it includes Hebrew, but I wouldn’t notice the difference). I’m sure %99.9 of people fit into this category, but of course Apple’s neuroticism has to come in and make things unnecessarily difficult. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Great news! I really like this one. A little cheesy at times (eg every time they check in with the fighter jets they make some sort of dramatic maneuver), but very well done in terms of character development. All characters are very relatable, and the dynamics of their conflicts match perfectly with their characters. Also, I’d watch pretty much anything with Alicia Vikander in it..

The subtitles are annoying af though. One of the best things about it is the cultural context, but it gets very annoying to read subtitles for %90 of it. I realize Apple is going for ‘global context,’ but I’m pretty sure that the subtitles are annoying to everyone that doesn’t speak both Farsi and Hebrew (I’m assuming it includes Hebrew, but I wouldn’t notice the difference). I’m sure %99.9 of people fit into this category, but of course Apple’s neuroticism has to come in and make things unnecessarily difficult. 
    Alicia Vikander isn’t in Tehran. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobrabyronl
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Near the end of the last episode of Season 1, it appears that an Israeli pilot bailed out of a fighter jet that was flying over Iran. (Two bailed out, but it sounded like one died.) My guess is that Season 2 will all be about finding the surviving pilot and getting him out of Iran. I'd like the next episode to illustrate what happens to a pilot who bails out over a hostile territory. I've always wondered about that. I think we will see an exciting race between Israel and Iran to get there first. And maybe the rest of the season will be about keeping the pilot safe and getting him out of Iran. It will be a little like the movie Argo from 2012.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    The subtitles are annoying af though. One of the best things about it is the cultural context, but it gets very annoying to read subtitles for %90 of it. I realize Apple is going for ‘global context,’ but I’m pretty sure that the subtitles are annoying to everyone that doesn’t speak both Farsi and Hebrew 
    Annoying? I always put English captions on, even for English programs. It helps a lot, since most programs don't have clear speech at some points. There's either interfering music, or sound effects, or bad audio editing, or accents, or poor diction throughout most programs. And it's amazing how often the subtitles include a few words that the actors didn't speak. It clarifies the dialog at least a couple of times every minute. Does anyone else here use and enjoy English captions on English programs?

The only time it's annoying is when the "digital captions" overlap with the "analog captions" that are built-in to the actual movie. Then you can't read the latter captions.
    byronl
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Sigh. The show was developed in Israel for Israeli TV by an Israeli and also features Iranian actors. It's in Hebrew, Farsi, and English. Apple came in later and acquired international distribution rights, they did not develop the show or have any input on the languages used much less "come in make things unnecessarily difficult". It has a wide international audience; not everyone speaks English or wants everything to be in English. 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    Sigh. The show was developed in Israel for Israeli TV by an Israeli and also features Iranian actors. It's in Hebrew, Farsi, and English. Apple came in later and acquired international distribution rights, they did not develop the show or have any input on the languages used much less "come in make things unnecessarily difficult". It has a wide international audience; not everyone speaks English or wants everything to be in English. 

A lot of Apple shows are dudded into many languages as evidenced by the previews shown when starting a watching session being played in a mix of Hebrew and Farsi dependant on the night.

Didn't mind reading all the dialogue but it does make harder to get into complicated or action storylines. Would be nice to be able to select between sub or surtitles  (at top) depending on the show and how you have your TV placed.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    The subtitles are annoying af though. One of the best things about it is the cultural context, but it gets very annoying to read subtitles for %90 of it. I realize Apple is going for ‘global context,’ but I’m pretty sure that the subtitles are annoying to everyone that doesn’t speak both Farsi and Hebrew 
    Annoying? I always put English captions on, even for English programs. It helps a lot, since most programs don't have clear speech at some points. There's either interfering music, or sound effects, or bad audio editing, or accents, or poor diction throughout most programs. And it's amazing how often the subtitles include a few words that the actors didn't speak. It clarifies the dialog at least a couple of times every minute. Does anyone else here use and enjoy English captions on English programs?

The only time it's annoying is when the "digital captions" overlap with the "analog captions" that are built-in to the actual movie. Then you can't read the latter captions.
    I do the same thing. 
  • Reply 10 of 15

You always put subtitles on? Really? That makes two of you. (Of course aside from hearing impaired.)
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Well, I didn’t need the snark, but thanks for the background info. If it was originally intended for Israeli tv, that makes a lot of sense. But not sure what you’re trying to say with your last point. Not sure many people speak both Farsi and Hebrew. Probably like %0.0001 of the worlds population does. Most ppl watching this speak English, probably even including most of the Farsi/Hebrew speaking ppl, so..
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Japhey said:

Alicia Vikander isn’t in Tehran. 
    What!?!? That’s incredible. They look almost identical. Virtually twins:

https://bryanveloso.com/2020/10/04/look-alike-niv-sultan-and-alicia-vikander/
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

Wrong again. It’s a foreign show. People in foreign countries speak....foreign languages. Shocker. 

You love building your Apple narrative in your mind tho. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

Well, I didn’t need the snark, but thanks for the background info. If it was originally intended for Israeli tv, that makes a lot of sense. But not sure what you’re trying to say with your last point. Not sure many people speak both Farsi and Hebrew. Probably like %0.0001 of the worlds population does. Most ppl watching this speak English, probably even including most of the Farsi/Hebrew speaking ppl, so..
    So...what? Most people watching it very well may speak english, now that Apple is distributing it. That has dick to do with the fact that it was developed in a foreign market for non-english speakers. 

Same with Losing Alice. Great show, developed in Israel, now distributed in the US. Unsurprisingly they aren’t speaking english. 

It’s like if you complained about Germany’s Dark for speaking...german, despite the huge US netflix viewership. 
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15

So...what? Most people watching it very well may speak english, now that Apple is distributing it. That has dick to do with the fact that it was developed in a foreign market for non-english speakers. 

Same with Losing Alice. Great show, developed in Israel, now distributed in the US. Unsurprisingly they aren’t speaking english. 

It’s like if you complained about Germany’s Dark for speaking...german, despite the huge US netflix viewership. 
    Lol, I’m not sure why you need to respond to all my posts. I mean, I’m flattered, but I’m not sure it’s healthy for you. 

If you would have actually read the thread, someone else already informed me that it was a foreign made show, which I already acknowledged and readily conceded. But that might conflict with the the narrative of me you have in your head tho.. lol
    watto_cobra