Mark Zuckerberg says 'competitive interests' drive Apple's push for privacy

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2021
During a quarterly earnings call on Wednesday, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg said Apple is focused on competitive advantage with iOS 14, not privacy.

Credit: Facebook
Credit: Facebook

As Apple announced its quarterly earnings, Mark Zuckerberg was speaking to analysts on Facebook's own earnings call and took the opportunity to criticize iOS 14's privacy features. Describing Apple as one of Facebook's "biggest competitors," he said that the company uses its position and platforms to dominate other services.

Zuckerberg stopped short of specifying that he doubts Apple is being truthful over its privacy stance, but he did choose to make two consecutive statements that implied it.

"We have a lot of competitors who make claims about privacy that are often misleading," said Zuckerberg, according to ZDNet. "Now, Apple recently released so-called nutrition labels, which focused largely on metadata that apps collect rather than the privacy and security of people's actual messages."

Zuckerberg argued that, by default, Apple's Messages app stores non encrypted "backups of your messages." This means, he said, that, "Apple and governments have the ability to access most people's messages."

"So when it comes to what matters most, protecting people's messages, I think that [our] WhatsApp is clearly superior," he continued. "I do want to highlight that we increasingly see Apple as one of our biggest competitors.

"[Apple's] iMessage is a key linchpin of their ecosystem," he said. "It comes pre-installed on every iPhone, and they preference it with private APIs and permissions, which is why iMessage is the most used messaging service in the US."

"And now we are also seeing Apple's business depend more and more on gaining share in apps and services against us and other developers," he continued. "So Apple has every incentive to use their dominant platform position to interfere with how our apps and other apps work, which they regularly do to preference their own."

Zuckerberg claims that Apple's strength "impacts the growth of millions of businesses around the world."

"With the upcoming iOS 14 changes, many small businesses will no longer be able to reach their customers with targeted ads," he said. "Now, Apple may say that they're doing this to help people, but the moves clearly track their competitive interests."

"And I think that this dynamic is important for people to understand because we and others are going to be up against this for the foreseeable future," he continued. "Now our messaging services continue [to grow], but it is an uphill battle."

Example of how iOS 14 will require user permission to allow ad tracking. Credit: AppleInsider
Example of how iOS 14 will require user permission to allow ad tracking. Credit: AppleInsider

In his separate earnings call, Tim Cook did not directly address Facebook and its campaign against Apple's privacy features. However, he did speak to the point about Apple's stance on protecting users' data.

"Tomorrow is International Privacy Day, and we continue to set new standards to protect users' right to privacy," he said, "not just for our own products but to be the ripple in the pond that moves the whole industry forward."

Apple plans to remove the IDFA or Identifier for Advertisers feature in iOS that previously allowed companies to track the data of users under certain circumstances. According to Apple, its replacement called SKAdNetwork offers advertisers information, but protects users more.

This change was originally planned to be included at the launch of iOS 14, but was moved to early 2021 for technical reasons.

While Facebook continues to lobby against the removal of IDFA, Google has confirmed that it is converting all of its apps to using the new SKAdNetwork.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    How is Apple not honest about this?

They use privacy as an advertising message which means they think consumers value it and it gives them a market advantage.
    Facebook on the other hand think their customers like invading users privacy so that is the advertising message they have been paying for on full pages in newspapers.

tmaySamsonikkmacseekerCuJoYYCgregoriusmlolliverlongpathboboliciouswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 56
    Apple has been a privacy advocate since the inception of the iPhone! 
    CuJoYYClongpathmattinozmwhitepulseimageslolliverStrangeDaysolswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 56
    Time for Apple to give facebook the boot.
    CuJoYYClongpathpulseimageslolliverpsliceolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 56
    "We have a lot of competitors who make claims about privacy that are often misleading,"

Good one, Zuckerberg. You are the king of misleading your customers on privacy.

"Now, Apple recently released so-called nutrition labels, which focused largely on metadata that apps collect rather than the privacy and security of people's actual messages."

Again, good one...but I think you are confused. Apple created privacy labels in response, largely, to the abuses that your apps implemented--and profited from.

You are laughable.
    12Strangersapplguymattinozp-dogbaconstangmwhiterob55aderutterolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 56
    The sheer magnitude of his projection gives a sadly clear picture of his megalomaniacal disregard for the nonpaying fodder he uses to generate marketing dollars.
    p-doglolliverwilliamlondonrob55watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 56
    It is interesting to think about it as if you could purchase privacy for a low price of 1299 $, with 256 GB capacity. Or rather subscribe to privacy if you follow Apples push towards iPhone as a service.

Like a merchant for human rights I presume.
    edited January 2021
  • Reply 7 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Of course it’s about competition, because Apple knows its customers value privacy so Apple give us what we want. Facebook also cares about competition and their paying customers who do not care about your privacy. 

The problem Zuck has he needs Apple’s paying customers, however, Apple does not need Facebook’s paying customers.
    lolliverlongpatholswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 56
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    Sounds like zuckerberg is just pissed that Apple is forcing Facebook to let customers know how sneaky and dishonest Facebook is.  
    p-dogpulseimageslolliverlongpathgeekmeeolswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 56
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,303member
    Mark Zuckerberg is full of shit.

Facebook is evil. A sadly necessary evil for certain purposes, but no less evil as a result.
    p-dogpulseimagesmuthuk_vanalingamlolliverStrangeDaysolswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 10 of 56
    While I completely agree with everything you wrote, ya gotta give the kid a break.  I mean like come on, he just had his first “dry” night last Thursday.  He still has to use plastic mattress covers for a couple more months, ya know, just in case.  This is straight from a buddy of mine who hacked his mother’s account on one of those social media sites. I don’t remember exactly which one he said it was, faceapp or what’sabook, I don’t know but my bud is hardly ever wrong, hehe, ya know.

Agilealtitude wrote:

“   "We have a lot of competitors who make claims about privacy that are often misleading,"

Good one, Zuckerberg. You are the king of misleading your customers on privacy.

"Now, Apple recently released so-called nutrition labels, which focused largely on metadata that apps collect rather than the privacy and security of people's actual messages."

Again, good one...but I think you are confused. Apple created privacy labels in response, largely, to the abuses that your apps implemented--and profited from.

You are laughable.”

longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Mark Zuckerberg and his creation are like... well, they’re like something!
    ols
  • Reply 12 of 56
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Zuckerberg’s earnings will be impacted in the name of customer privacy. Too bad. Thank you Apple.
    baconstangpulseimageslolliverlongpatholswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 13 of 56
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Literally no one believes him, he's only convincing himself.
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 56
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Six fingers pointing right back at you, Zuck.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 56
    I think Zuckerberg just stuck and didn’t know what to do with privacy issue so now he try to find a way to attack Apple and discredit Apple hoping everybody will go against Apple and support Facebook.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 56
    ralphieralphie Posts: 104member
    Zuk is full of crap. And Apples “nutrition” labels are all but worthless. How many people act in them?!  I should be able to turn off/on any of those tracking and identifiers.  WFT is “ask not to track?”, how about “disable tracking”!!  Apple likes to play the nobility card, but they could do A LOT more for the privacy of users and apps.
    ols
  • Reply 17 of 56
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I so long for the day when we can look back at Facebook with nostalgia like we do with Netscape, Lycos, AOL, etc. 
    lolliverThinkmanDuvrob55aderutterolswatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Zuckerberg’s “accusation” sounds like something right out of the Chinese government’s playbook.
    widmarkThinkmanDuvlongpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 56
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    Please if you are still using Facebook quit it right now. Just stop. 
    williamlondonlongpathroakewatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 56
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member

Please if you are still using Facebook quit it right now. Just stop. 
    williamlondonlongpathwatto_cobra