iPad revenue grew 41% in Q1 amid pandemic

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2021
Apple saw revenue from its iPad line grow 41% in the 2021 holiday quarter, with the tablet bringing in $8.4 billion.

The iPad saw 41% growth YoY in Q1 2021
The iPad saw 41% growth YoY in Q1 2021

Apple spent 2020 refining its iPad lineup with hardware revisions across each model and improvements to iPadOS. After bringing desktop Safari and a mouse cursor to the OS users were able to perform more work from the tablet.

Those improvements and the move to work and school from home drove the iPad to new heights. Apple CEO Tim Cook commented on the state of the iPad during the quarterly earnings call, calling demand "very strong." He later commented that some customers are using the device as a laptop replacement, others as a desktop companion.

Apple CFO Luca Maestri offered some additional color to iPad sales. He said the iPad set an all-time record in Japan during the quarter. Further, 451 Research found a 94% customer satisfaction rate for the product. Finally, he noted that more than half of customers buying Mac and iPad are new to the platform.

iPad quarterly revenue
iPad quarterly revenue

Apple updated the iPad Pro with LiDAR in the spring and released the Magic Keyboard with a trackpad. Then later in 2020 the company updated the iPad Air with the A14 processor, pro-like design, and Touch ID in the top button. Even the cheap 10.2-inch iPad was updated with a new processor.

Apple announced its record-breaking quarterly results on Wednesday with $111.4 billion in revenue. Each major category saw double digit growth in the holiday quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Considering how many people have been working via Zoom this past year, or from bed even, this is not surprising at all. :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Still love my iPad Pro, despite it being the second iteration of the product. Still rock solid.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Still love my iPad Pro, despite it being the second iteration of the product. Still rock solid.
    Yes!  The biggest problem (for Apple) is that the iPad has such a long useful lifespan. I dropped my iPad last week and was almost disappointed it didn’t break—its 5 years old and I still love it, but I’d love an excuse for a shiny new one!
    JapheySpamSandwichmuthuk_vanalingamlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    I still love my 10.5” iPad Pro because I still love my headphone jack. But I think I’m going to upgrade in March if one comes out for more RAM, the neural engine, and more storage. Someone in my family will benefit greatly from my 10.5 IPP. They are great devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    bageljoey said:
    Yes!  The biggest problem (for Apple) is that the iPad has such a long useful lifespan. I dropped my iPad last week and was almost disappointed it didn’t break—its 5 years old and I still love it, but I’d love an excuse for a shiny new one!
    I lost my Windows phone a few years ago. When I got back home and realised it was missing, I was like, “YESSS!!”

edited January 2021 radarthekatmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Rayz2016 said:
    bageljoey said:
    I lost my Windows phone a few years ago. When I got back home and realised it was missing, I was like, “YESSS!!”

Lol. Surprised that you considered buying a windows phone in the first place and went ahead and bought it as well, despite iPhones being way better than windows phones from the beginning on almost all aspects.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bageljoey said:
    Yet Apple is constantly accused of planned obsolescence and gets sued over the claim.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra