Mark Zuckerberg says 'competitive interests' drive Apple's push for privacy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    Zuck hitting the gas on FBs long-standing disinformation campaign to cover what should have been an illegal business from the beginning.  He’s been busted before with his hand in the cookie jar stealing and selling user data, yet shamelessly tries to claim the high ground.  

His whole business is so predicated on deceit that his only option is to go scorched earth on Apple for exposing it.  It’s not like he can pivot to an honest business, so he’ll fight and fight.

Please stop using FB.

edited January 2021 lolliverlongpathbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    elijahg said:
    Literally no one believes him, he's only convincing himself.
    Even his own employees don’t believe him. 
    lolliverwilliamlondonlongpatholswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 56

Zuckerberg’s “accusation” sounds like something right out of the Chinese government’s playbook.
    Give it a f**king rest. 
    lolliverwilliamlondondewme13485
  • Reply 24 of 56

ralphie said:
    Zuk is full of crap. And Apples “nutrition” labels are all but worthless. How many people act in them?!  I should be able to turn off/on any of those tracking and identifiers.  WFT is “ask not to track?”, how about “disable tracking”!!  Apple likes to play the nobility card, but they could do A LOT more for the privacy of users and apps.
    It is impossible to do this with any development framework that allows access to the internet. 

So make your choice. Apps or no apps. 

Yeah, that’s what I thought. 

lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 56
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    For a very long time Apple has touted privacy as a competitive advantage, even when it was actually seen as a disadvantage by EVERYONE else in the industry.

So, sorry MZ but when your business is built around anti-privacy practices such as scraping user data, it’s kind of difficult to take you seriously when you try to belittle Apple’s stance by accusing them of being disingenuous.

Perhaps, instead of buying up companies with massive user bases so you can expand your data mining operations, you try and find other areas/products to drive revenue to make yourself wealthier. 
    lolliverlongpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 56
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

ralphie said:
    Zuk is full of crap. And Apples “nutrition” labels are all but worthless. How many people act in them?!  I should be able to turn off/on any of those tracking and identifiers.  WFT is “ask not to track?”, how about “disable tracking”!!  Apple likes to play the nobility card, but they could do A LOT more for the privacy of users and apps.

I’m sorry... You say “A LOT more” without actually mentioning a single thing.

The fact is, Apple cannot control what a user does and doesn’t do once inside an app and they cannot control what an app/developer does with that data once the user hands it over. That’s a contract between the developer and the user. All Apple can do is make sure the developer is making a reasonable attempt at being transparent and honest about what their app is doing with that user’s data. AND that’s EXACTLY what they are doing with these nutrition labels and that’s ALL the labels are for. They aren’t meant as means to police developers and coddle users, they’re meant as means to make sure the user can make an informed decision about whether or not to use that app.
    lolliverbaconstangrob55watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Wow. Zuckerberg is astonishingly tone-deaf when it comes to discussions of privacy. You know how you can tell when a company is really serious about their customers' privacy? When the freakin' government complains—not in the courts*, but in the media—that the mean ol' company won't give them backdoor access to spy on their customers.

* Yes, the FBI has tried to compel Apple to build in backdoor tech into their devices, but so far the courts have ruled in favour of Apple, if I recall correctly.
    Basically a company can't be forced to build tech for the government.

I can't wait for anti-trust rulings force Facebook to let go of WhatsApp and Instagram. I mean, I hope this happens.

Finally, I hate that Apple is always lumped in with Google and Facebook when Big Tech is brought up in discussions/debates about anti-trust and monopoly power. Apple is definitely a major player in consumer tech, but it is by no means a monopoly in any sense of the word. Apple rules its own ecosystem, but nothing more. Google, on the other hand, own the search engine space and have tremendous power over services. Facebook owns social media. Both Google and Facebook use their power to exploit consumers; in fact, in Google and Facebook's business models, the consumer is the product. Apple, on the other hand, uses its power to protect its customers.
    edited January 2021 lolliverlongpathaderutterwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 56
    People that think Apple just does stuff for the money clearly have no recollection of when Apple ditched Google maps.

The idea that it was just about map features is naive. Google pay Apple billions per year to be the default search engine in Safari - it's bonkers to believe that Apple couldn't negotiate the inclusion of missing maps features against that, or even rolled them out themselves on top of Google's data.

Apple's focus on privacy reminds me of their similar focus on the environment. When Green Peace targeted Apple, Apple merely became more transparent with what they had already been doing, suddenly a critical Green Peace became a gushing fan of Apple. It's the same with their labour practices and privacy. There are likely many more socially driven initiatives from Apple that aren't the shortest path to profit. I believe over the next few years we'll begin to see more of Apple's efforts to address social inequity with coding and business classes.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 56
    I'm fairly certain Zuckerberg would fail the Turing Test.
    lolliverDougie.Sbaconstangrob55auxiowatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 56
    douchebag say what?
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 56
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    Gates was much better at the FUD game.

Anyone with a modicum of critical thinking ability could see through Zuckerberg's lame attempts to deflect criticism away from his own company, and try to cast Apple in a bad light.

Sadly, a lot of people lack that ability.
    longpathwatto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 56
    I don’t trust Zuckerberg, so even if he speaks the truth I can’t believe what he says. He may be right or he may be lying. I don’t know. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 56
    Apple build services for ppl and give them for free or asks for payment. They finance them from HW or SW profit.
    Facebook offer free services but finance them solely from selling user data without they knowing much (many do not bother tbh) and adds misusing those data.
    Apple wanna leverage the game. At least ppl know how they are paying for those "free" services.
    Was discussing this with few Android users and they do not care it is like someone would be sitting in their livving room and record their activity and them earn money on it. It is free, it is only what they are interested in. And phones cheap.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 56
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Mark is confused. Unlike Facebook, for Apple user privacy is more important than making money and user privacy is a core value for Apple which It’s shame that does not exists for Facebook or Google.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 56
    Can't believe Zuckerberg is still whining in public like this. Facebook/him are already viewed as a pariah, so what does he do? DOUBLE DOWN! I guess I need to text him, hope he doesn't mind that I use iMessage. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    widmark said:
    Zuck hitting the gas on FBs long-standing disinformation campaign to cover what should have been an illegal business from the beginning.  He’s been busted before with his hand in the cookie jar stealing and selling user data, yet shamelessly tries to claim the high ground.  

His whole business is so rpredicated on deceit that his only option is to go scorched earth on Apple for exposing it.  It’s not like he can pivot to an honest business, so he’ll fight and fight.

Please stop using FB.

First you can not steal what was freely given to you. Next he was only able to use peoples private information because most people do not care about their privacy and what FB and others were doing with information. Then users excepted the government to step in and solve the problem and their solution will be far worse. At no time do people have more power than ever, the solution is simple stop using FB and they will go away or stop making money off your information. FB is not needed if they went away tomorrow we all could go forward without issue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 56
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    He is largely correct in what he is saying but competition is good. Now, if competition becomes unfair that's something for government to correct and both companies are being scrutinised on that.

On a wider level, particularly on trust, Facebook comes out of that question torn and tattered and all because of its own failings. 

If Facebook on iOS becomes inviable in any way, it should drop support for it and push users to its web service.

Just as YouTube seems to be pushing more and more ads onto users, Facebook seems to be trying to absorb users 'indirectly' via its purchased platforms (WhatsApp, Oculus etc). There will be a snapping point if they continue in the direction they are going. 
  • Reply 38 of 56
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    He is largely correct in what he is saying but competition is good. Now, if competition becomes unfair that's something for government to correct and both companies are being scrutinised on that.

On a wider level, particularly on trust, Facebook comes out of that question torn and tattered and all because of its own failings. 

If Facebook on iOS becomes inviable in any way, it should drop support for it and push users to its web service.

Just as YouTube seems to be pushing more and more ads onto users, Facebook seems to be trying to absorb users 'indirectly' via its purchased platforms (WhatsApp, Oculus etc). There will be a snapping point if they continue in the direction they are going. 
  • Reply 39 of 56
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    Zuckerberg is like a whining child. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 56
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    Sounds like the CEO of Facebook is... ‘Whistling in the dark’
    edited January 2021 watto_cobra